Any one try a cordless electric pole saw?

/ Any one try a cordless electric pole saw? #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I'm not sure I can justify the nice Stihl I saw on their website (about 700 bucks).

I need to clear the occasional 2"-3" limb in spots so as not to damage my cab. The lights on the sunshade on my current tractor have taking a bit of a beating.

I can either rent a pole saw once a year (about $70 per day) or buy one of the Black and Decker cordless ones that people rave about ($150 or so). In online reviews people are saying they are cutting 5 to 6" stuff with it.

What do you guys think?

/ Any one try a cordless electric pole saw? #2  
Why don't you buy a manual saw.Mine goes to 14ft.real Sharpe ,works well.I tried the $200.00 Poulan..waste of money,junk from the word go.Going to be limited with an electric.

/ Any one try a cordless electric pole saw? #3  
I have no experience and therefore no idea whether the Homelite electric pole saw is really any good or not, but back in May when a little storm tore down a tree in my yard, I bought a cheap Homelite electric chain saw at Home Depot and was very pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. Later a friend had a storm blow down a tree in his yard and we used my little Homelite to cut it up. Black & Decker may be better, but in your situation, I'd have to go to Home Depot and give that Homelite a try. In fact, I'm considering buying one myself for tree pruning.:)

/ Any one try a cordless electric pole saw? #4  
I have a Remington battery pole saw. It lasts for about 3 cuts of 3-4 inch diameter, sometimes a little shy of that.
If you do not need quick results it works fine. If you have alot to do, you will be frustrated with it.

/ Any one try a cordless electric pole saw? #5  
Last edited:
   / Any one try a cordless electric pole saw? #6  
J J, I don't have a battery powered sawzall, but do have a corded Makita reciprocating saw and I was doing all my tree pruning with that and pruning blades; even cut up one tree that blew down. It was interesting cutting the stump because the blade was only about half as long as the diameter of the stump, so I went around and around until I cut it off. But the electric chain saw sure is faster and easier.

/ Any one try a cordless electric pole saw? #7  
I have a HD 25 foot telescoping pole.....and I have a 18volt battery powered sawzall. I needed to limb a tree, so I duct taped the saw to the pole and put a 12inch wood-cutting blade in the saw.

It can get a little dicey handleing a saw which has the switch on the biz end of the pole.....but I got my limbs cut off. (tree limbs that is) :thumbsup:

I felt a bit like a red-neck....but worked pretty good. :laughing:

/ Any one try a cordless electric pole saw? #8  
I sold the B&D polesaw, in a previous job. Link below lists my comments on the 18v B&D grass trimmer, included here to pass along 411 about the batteries and how to work with them the best.

The B&D polesaw is a good design, they use the same setup for their 18v chainsaw. As I explained to customers, "If you're looking at a 4' oak tree, this chainsaw ain't the right tool" - most people got that, and saw where it would be useful - even pro arbourists.

The pole extensions are well made, strong, and the connector system never seemed to be a problem. About the only issue that came up sometimes was that the chain was installed backwards (I just showed people how to keep the arrows aligned, bar/chain), hardly the fault of the saw.

For most people, I think these 18v polesaws are a good solution.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/garden-tools/63542-trimmer-built-women-3.html

D.

/ Any one try a cordless electric pole saw? #10