Stihl MS310 - Operation Issues

/ Stihl MS310 - Operation Issues #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
I have been using an Echo 14" chainsaw for the last 25+ years and it has rarely let me down. Using Oregon S52 chains it has cut allot of wood and is very easy to handle. Recently I have started cleaning up some property and due to having much larger trees to deal with I bought a Stihl MS310 with a 20-inch blade. Last weekend while cutting some brush I dulled my last Echo blade and although the remaining trees were not that big all I had was the Stihl. Compared to my much smaller Echo this saw is an animal, sounds like some dirt bikes I used to race.
Armed with a brand new Still blade I approached my first 12" tree with a big smile on my mug and the saw cut like crap. What the heck, I know the blade is thicker but the Stihl is a much heavier saw and significant more powerful. Undercuts were much more work than they should have been. It seemed if I held my mouth just right and at some magic speed the chain would bite and cut through limbs as I would expect.
Assume I am not operating the saw correctly, typically with the Echo I run it wide open and rock it a bit. What is the trick with a bigger saw? TIA

/ Stihl MS310 - Operation Issues #2  
There is no trick. You have got something wrong with the chain.

Dull? Rakers need lowered? On backwards?

Did you buy this saw NEW form a DEALER? Or was it bought used off of someone else?

Can you take some pics of the bar and chain? And perhaps spend $20 to buy a new chain and try that?

/ Stihl MS310 - Operation Issues #3  
I'd say you have chain issues! I'd hope that a stihl chain came with the saw as oregon's chains don't keep an edge very long on stihl chain saws.

/ Stihl MS310 - Operation Issues
Thanks for your advice - Bought this saw used but in excellent condition and then broke it down and cleaned it up, it starts and runs great. Originally when I noticed the poor performance I thought it was the blade so I changed it out with a brand new Stihl chain. I had not tried it with the new blade until last week.

Since I have never used this large of saw maybe I am expecting too much performance gains over my little Echo. Once the blade hooks up it cuts very well, it just seems the blade spins on top of the wood before really starting to cut. My thought was maybe I should be exerting more downward pressure to take advantage of the more powerful saw and wider cutting chain. The smaller Echo just bogs down when pushed so I have just gotten into the habit of letting the weight of the saw do the work.

/ Stihl MS310 - Operation Issues #5  
I have a Stihl MS310 with a 20" bar. I will have to agree with the other posters that it sounds like you have a chain problem.

/ Stihl MS310 - Operation Issues #6  
Is it the stihl safety chain? What type of wood are you cutting?

Not sure, it is a - Stihl Oilomatic 33 RSC 72. Cutting live (green) trees like dogwood and poplar.

As I have mentioned before, it was a brand new, never used chainsaw blade. Probably just need to get familar with this saws quirks, but I have to say for all the noise it makes I was expecting better cutting performance.

/ Stihl MS310 - Operation Issues #8  
I believe the 33rsc is full chisel chain.

You shouldnt be having any trouble with it, because more than likely, you have round-back or semi-round on your other saw.

The saw should pull itself right through.

Let me ask you this, are you the one that sharpens your other chain?

Perhaps a few pics of it so we can figure out why you think it is a more agressive chain? Because it dont get any more agressive than RSC full chisel.

An I try to refrain from telling a new sawer this, but IMO, the rakers arent low enough even on a new chain. They are supposed to be .025", But I typically run double that at the least. It allows the saw to pull through better and cut faster for my style of cutting.

Perhaps you could post some close-up pics of your old chain cutters as well as the new ones? Otherwise, there isnt much advise we can offer you.

/ Stihl MS310 - Operation Issues #9  
Not sure, it is a - Stihl Oilomatic 33 RSC 72. Cutting live (green) trees like dogwood and poplar.

As I have mentioned before, it was a brand new, never used chainsaw blade. Probably just need to get familar with this saws quirks, but I have to say for all the noise it makes I was expecting better cutting performance.
I don't know. That's the same chain that came on my MS310 that I bought new from a Stihl dealer. My MS310 is a hoss. If I were having the problems you describe, I would return to the dealer. My dealer keeps a couple of large logs for testing saws. I would at least get his second opinion.

Don't know for sure what is going on but I am more convinced my observations are strongly influenced by the way I am operating the saw.

Yesterday used the Stihl 310 on a 30' old fallen 10-12" tree trunk which might have been white oak. Regardless, it was very solid heavy wood and the Stihl went right through it. This was the first good chunk of laying wood I have cut with this saw compared to the vertical live trees or smaller green branches.

Anyone who has used a chainsaw allot knows there is some finesse involved making a good clean cut. Having used a 7lb saw for 25 years is allot different than using a 14lb one and my best guess with the Stihl is I am not keeping the chain in good contact with the wood. Basically Operator Error. :eek:

LD many years ago I did sharpen my own chains or have them sharpened but with the amount of cutting I do it was easier for me just to buy a new chain. I am sure if I made my living with a saw this would not be the case.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!