Poulan Wild Thing Starting Problem

/ Poulan Wild Thing Starting Problem #11  
One more thing to check... The new ethanol gasoline eats rubber and plastic parts. I have had several fuel hoses go bad. Look for cracks that lean the fuel mix or allow bubbles into the fuel line.

/ Poulan Wild Thing Starting Problem #12  
Have you twiddled with the hi/low carb jets?:)

I just sold my Wild Thing 42cc saw, which I got free. It was not running
and it had been sitting for years. They also come with crappy
consumer-grade bars/chains. Owners often toss these units as soon as
they can't start them. If it has compression, it may be an easy fix, as
mine was. I invested $25 in a new bar/chain, and the saw worked well.

The H and L screws use splined heads, which require a special tool to
adjust, or I just grind a small slot in each one. These have to be removed
when taking apart the carb, and cleaned out with carb cleaner and
compressed air. If all the rubbers and hoses are good, it should start, but
over-priming is very easy. A carb kit is $10.

/ Poulan Wild Thing Starting Problem #13  
Those wild things are poison and you'll end up throwing more at it in parts (and frustration) then its worth.
As much as I hate throwing things away I agree. I had two saws, a Poulan 16" that I used for grubbing of old alders and such and an Echo CS370, my 'good saw'.
After a week or so of using my Echo for cutting wood on and off I went and grabbed the Poulan to do a bit of clearing. Over a dozen pulls later it started, the minute I'd try and cut or if I layed it down for a minute, it'd croak. I'd start it up after pulling my arm off, same thing.
Long story short, I took a 10 lb sledgehammer to it, childish yes but man it felt good LOL. It's in the back of my truck now to go in the dumpster at work, the pos....Mike

/ Poulan Wild Thing Starting Problem #14  
They're must have been some bad batches built of these poulan's saws, I hear people talking about their bad experiences with them all the time, it does happen,

I remember back in early 80's buying a new push mower from Wally-mart, Back then you bought the mower and it came packed in a card board box , was some assembly required, (The handle and wheels,) and then came with a quart of oil to put in, I got the mower all together put in the oil filled with gas pulled it 1 time and started right up,.... Blew oil out the exhaust and smoke up the neighborhood, needless to say I called Ol-Wally to tell them about what the mower had done,
They told me to bring it back in and not to bother to box it back up and they would give me another, would be sure to assemble it for me, when I brought the other one back they took one look at the oil all over it
and took it around to a stack of other returned mowers setting on pallets.

I ask did all them have same problem, he said yup! and this was the second batch they have received, Seems as though during the engine assembly someone or people forgot to install the rings onto the piston,:confused2: This was the start of the B&S black engines era everyone became so Leary of, :(

Back to the Poulan chainsaws...... I have not seen any major problems in my 2 poulan saws, Basically simple maintenance issue, spark plug/fuel lines etc,etc,.,, I wish I had a way to post up video's, I could show you 2 poulan saws that will crank on 2nd or 3rd pull each and every time,:thumbsup: although neither of the 2 are the wild thing, the 16" is actually called the Anniversary Poulan , however is still 42 cc saw, basically I think is same engine but the older of them, this saw is 14+ years old, My 20" is even Older,

/ Poulan Wild Thing Starting Problem
All right fellers, let's get back to the basic question of why won't it pop on a shot of ether?

I have no fuel in the thing at all. So let's not talk about fuel, mixture, jets, gummed up lines, filters, or the poor quality of the unit, etc... it is not a fuel issue at the moment. I want it to pop on a shot of ether before I tear into the carb.

As I mentioned before, I sprayed a shot of ether into the carb and gave it a few pulls. No pop. I removed the plug and set it right next to the plug hole and on the first pull ether shot out of the plug hole and ignited instantly in the open air. Instantly. I repeated this several times and it was always the same.

Plug in = no pop.
Plug out = instant ignition as the ether is ejected out the plug hole.

By the way, the ether shoots out of the plug hole about a foot as that's how long the nice blue flame is, so I'm assuming there's enough compression to eject it that far on a pull of the cord from me.

So I'm wondering if no air is getting into the cylinder through the carb, or not enough air at least to let the ether ignite? The choke is clearly open. Is there a throttle plate inside the carb? I haven't looked yet. If there is and that is closed, would that explain it?

I don't have access to the saw again until next weekend. All the thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thanks. :thumbsup:

/ Poulan Wild Thing Starting Problem #16  
Whats your compression? Thats first.

/ Poulan Wild Thing Starting Problem #17  
The ether takes the same path as the fuel/air mixture does it not.

Try starting it with the trigger fully pulled.:)

/ Poulan Wild Thing Starting Problem #18  
The ether takes the same path as the fuel/air mixture does it not.

Try starting it with the trigger fully pulled.:)

Yes but in order for it to reach the cylinder, it is as you stated the trigger/butterfly must be open to let it in,;) although some carburetors cannot take the repercussion back through them without possible damage,
actually some Pistons cannot take it either;)
I use to work on 2-stroke dirt bike engines, over this time I had a few come in with the piston skirts shattered, as well as the reed valves blown apart from someone trying to start their bike with with ether, Either from having a fowl plug or low in cylinder compression, usually find out later was a young person who wanted to ride his dirtbike and was told about trying either to start it,.... what could have been a simple top-end ring & piston job wound up being a full engine rebuild, the Parts from the piston ruin the cylinder wall fell down into the crank getting chewed up and winding up in the gear casing,Clutch basket, etc,etc, resulting in halving to spit the case and clean or replace many internal parts,
because ether evaporates quickly it is good to use when needing to clean out old fuel from a cylinder or to dry out a cylinder,.... It is termed "Starting fluid" and will definitely start a difficult to start engine, however will also end the life of a worn engine,;) if a engine is difficult to start its because some part is failing, and that part needs to be replaced/ repaired,

/ Poulan Wild Thing Starting Problem #19  
Whats your compression? Thats first.

:thumbsup: pull the muffler and look at the ring and piston. Do you have a stuck ring on exhaust side. All the pop in the world wont matter if so. ;)

The wild thing is the simplest design to work on that has plastic crankcases. In a hour you can pull the cranks and piston and rebuild. Geter done.

Ether does not lube the cylinder piston. Get a squirt bottle with mix in it.

Treat them right, know how to tune, sharp chain and you will get your $100 worth out of a 40cc saw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pKx09Qqbxk

/ Poulan Wild Thing Starting Problem #20  
As I mentioned before, I sprayed a shot of ether into the carb and gave it a few pulls. No pop. I removed the plug and set it right next to the plug hole and on the first pull ether shot out of the plug hole and ignited instantly in the open air. Instantly. I repeated this several times and it was always the same.
/QUOTE]

All I'm saying here is the path for air to the cylinder will be open. The use of ether is entirely up to the OP.:)

I have had occasions where holding the trigger down will allow a saw to start.:D

Moss, did the fellow who borred the saw let it sit for so long cause it was cutting real slow??:confused::confused::laughing: