Info on older 041AV Farm Boss

/ Info on older 041AV Farm Boss #1  

955Lincoln

Gold Member
I just bought a 041AV from a friend that had been slightly used and then put away for years with gas in it.

Any goods, bads, or comments on this saw would be welcomed.

Last edited:
   / Info on older 041AV Farm Boss #2  
Gas left in a chainsaw is not that big of a deal compared to some other types of motors... chainsaw carbs don't have a bowl like most carbs so no problems with floats getting stuck in a position.

is there still lots of gas in the tank? probably best if there is versus it completely evaporating since most problems occur when the gas evaporates and leaves behind a film that coats things... worst case you have to pull the needles and clean them... they have small holes that can get dirty and close over..

Also, the carb has a "gas pump" relatively speaking... basically a rubber diaphragm that works off the pistons pressure/vacuum (cant remember which way) and as the diaphragm pulls in it pulls in gas... these diaphragms can become rigid and not flex enough to pull gas.... so worst case here would be to "rebuild" the carb which is basically replace all the gaskets and diaphragms... you can usually get a kit for your carb off ebay for $10-12 bucks...

I'm currently working on two saws that sat a while and someone one had the coil go bad and one of the magnets on the flywheel lost magnetism... ive never seen that before....

So you'll want to pull the plug, put the plug cap on, ground the plug against the cylinder and pull the starter rope to see if you have spark... you're ahead of the curve if you have spark.... you probably should... if you have good spark put the plug back, you can take the back cover and air filter off and pour just a little gas into the carb opening and give the saw some pulls... as long as you have good compression the saw should run for a second or two and die..... if so, put some gas in the tank and give it a try.... after you put gas in the tank, put a little more gas in the carb and try to stat it this way.... when the saw kicks over it'll go through a few hundred revolutions if not more just from that little bit of gas which can help pull gas up the line to the carb instead of you pulling the stater rope 100 times.... if it fires with gas poured in the carb but wont run any other way then you need to look at the carb cause you're likely not getting gas....

this should be a good start....

/ Info on older 041AV Farm Boss
mike26now, thanks for your time and the very helpful information.

I should have been more clear in my first post as I was just looking for good or bad feedback from users of this model as I have never cut with a Stihl before and I'm not familiar with the model numbers. After a little cleaning the saw ran just fine. It's basically a new "old" saw with only a few hours on it.

/ Info on older 041AV Farm Boss #4  
I have one of those. My Dad bought it when I was in high school in the early 70's. It has cut a bunch of firewood through the years and still runs pretty darn good today. It wasn't used much for several years, and I had a heck of a time getting it going, but with only a couple of fuel lines and a carb kit, it is running strong. The only complaint I have about it, is it is much heavier than the more modern saws. So for the weekend user like me, not too big of a deal, but if you use it day in and day out, you'll get your work out!!!

I have one of those. My Dad bought it when I was in high school in the early 70's. It has cut a bunch of firewood through the years and still runs pretty darn good today. It wasn't used much for several years, and I had a heck of a time getting it going, but with only a couple of fuel lines and a carb kit, it is running strong. The only complaint I have about it, is it is much heavier than the more modern saws. So for the weekend user like me, not too big of a deal, but if you use it day in and day out, you'll get your work out!!!

Thanks! I was hoping to upgrade my heavy 70's Homelite Super XL but it looks like I have 2 boat anchors now :laughing:

/ Info on older 041AV Farm Boss #6  
Years ago I had an 041. We cut tons of wood with it. As I got older I decided I needed something lighter and more modern, so I sold it to a friend. I now have an 025 and a 361 and I would trade them both to get my 041 back. To me the new saws are junk. They start hard, break easy, and there always seems to be something wrong with them. The only thing that was ever wrong with the o41 was it was heavy. After a few years without it, I realize heavy was a good thing. I did try to buy it back from my friend, but he just laughed and said no way. Give that 041 a little TLC and you will never need another saw.
CJ

Years ago I had an 041. We cut tons of wood with it. As I got older I decided I needed something lighter and more modern, so I sold it to a friend. I now have an 025 and a 361 and I would trade them both to get my 041 back. To me the new saws are junk. They start hard, break easy, and there always seems to be something wrong with them. The only thing that was ever wrong with the o41 was it was heavy. After a few years without it, I realize heavy was a good thing. I did try to buy it back from my friend, but he just laughed and said no way. Give that 041 a little TLC and you will never need another saw.
CJ

I like the older stuff also which is why the Homelite is still my main saw. My friend thought he bought the 041 new in the early 90's but that may not be the case from the research that I have done on this model. It does have a chain brake though which is why I thought it may be a newer saw.

/ Info on older 041AV Farm Boss #8  
Had 2 for years , ( Older one had no chain brake and had it for 20+ years , newer one did have chain brake and had it for around 10 years ) . As mentioned , heavy saws , but I ran 28" bars and even in the White or Black oaks we have here , they would chew wood all day long . My only advice , ( although some here may get wadded up by this ) , Is mix your gas / oil at 32.1 , not 50.1 .
Even my new 441 Magnum is ran on 32.1 . Why ? I would rather change a $3 fouled spark plug every year than rebuild a $800+ saw . The Regular gas from 20 years ago was , ( in my opinion ) far better than even the premium is now , thus a little extra oil is only going to shorten the plug life . I replaced the carb / manifold gasket on that older 041 for the guy who bought both from me and he was amazed how clean the piston skirt was without any heat discoloration .

Just my 2 cents .:)

Fred H.

P.S. You can look up a little information about that saw here :
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView

Thanks! I followed your link but only found really old Stihl models listed, maybe I was looking in the wrong place. Would you happen to know what year your saw with the brake was made? Mine doesn't say electronic on the air filter cover but I was curious if it was or does it have point ignition.

Wow! 28" is a good size bar, this one has a 20".

/ Info on older 041AV Farm Boss #10  
Model Profile: 041 AVE SUPER

Although the picture's at the bottom shows 2 different models , 1 with brake and 1 with-out , Mine that had the brake looked a little newer as far as the mechanical side ??? If that makes any sense ?? I know the older saw "Said " 041 AV on air cleaner , really cannot remember what the newer one had on the cover . But I think they were both electronic , ( if the older one was , then for sure the newer was ) , as I never had any ignition problems .

Fred H.

Attachments

• 13.3280.jpg
    13.3280.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 2,104