Husky 350 stripped threads in head

/ Husky 350 stripped threads in head #1  

garry

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 1050
I have a Husqvarna 350. One of the bolts that hold the muffler on came loose and vibrated until the threads stripped in one of the holes. I think my only option is to tap the hole to a larger size.

I believe the original bolts were 10-32. I am wondering if I should go to 12-24 or 1/4-28. What size drill should I use to enlarge the hole before I tap it? Do I need to use helicoil?

Naturally I am concerned about damaging the the head or breaking a tap. Has anyone done this? I inquired at a Husqvarna dealer today and they have never done this before and could not supply me with larger bolts.

Does any one have a solution to keep bolts and screws from vibrating loose?

/ Husky 350 stripped threads in head #2  
I have never done that before... But I use loctite on all bolts that will be exposed to vibration, you can use the blue one I think Thts the one that can be broken with hand tools but will still protect against vibration
Good luck!

/ Husky 350 stripped threads in head
I use loctite on all bolts that will be exposed to vibration, you can use the blue one I think Thts the one that can be broken with hand tools but will still protect against vibration Good luck!

Will loctite hold up on a hot engine?

/ Husky 350 stripped threads in head #4  
I haven't had any problems with it yet, and I've run plenty of tanks of gas through my saws with the loctite coming in direct contact with the muffler

/ Husky 350 stripped threads in head #6  
how much meat do youhave and what is the head material? aluminum or iron or steel?

if you want to stay oem threads, you could tap for a prass plug, then redrill and tap that back oem.. then again.. 10-32 is darn small.. oversizing to the next standard thread that you can get full root in may bethe least invasive and less hand work..

soundguy

/ Husky 350 stripped threads in head #7  
I would do the Helicoil route. If the screw ever comes loose again it's not going to damage the threads like it will with Aluminum.

I went with heli-coil. I never used one before but it was relitively easy.
Thanks for your suggestions.

/ Husky 350 stripped threads in head #9  
Check the muffler bolts often, this model is famous for them backing out.

Check the muffler bolts often, this model is famous for them backing out.

Yes I am finding this out. I was told the 455's also have this problem. It seems to me if a company operates in integrity, they would issue a fix when they discover they have a problem like this.