Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #11  
I'm not a expert by any means no way no how.

The 5105 with the 5100 muffler otherwise stock would eat a heavy stock MS290 lunch supper and breakfast next day.

Now I have never ran one with the epa 5105 muffler on it.

Never ran a 310, only 290 and 390. To me if someone is going to carry the weight of the pig they mise well get the 390 65cc. Then again there like you say I would go 6401 or it's replacement for same money and little more weight.

I still like the 7900 OEM top ends better. I have ran the BB7900 stock on 2 different saws and the OEM is just better to me. 7900 OEM ported wins IMO too. Now this is JMO.

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP
Uh... I guess I didn't phrase the original question right. I wasn't asking for a Husky to Stihl comparison, but thanks anyway.

I simply wanted to know how the two company's listed specs stack up in terms of CC's and HP/BHP.

Question 1: Do Break Horse Power and Horse Power differ enough to make a difference, and;

Question 2: What is a better overall measure of power - CC's or BHP/HP?

It seems Husky sets prices according to CC's while Stihl sets prices based on features.

Reading the responses, I'm assuming that BHP and HP don't differ enough to comment on... so I guess I'm left with the question of what's a better indicator of power - CC's or BHP/HP....

Both questions are asked so that I can compare apples to apples on my own.

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #13  
Hey LD1,
FYI my smaller husky is a 336 xpt , it is my understanding that is a professional grade saw used when climbing? It was a gift and my first saw "wife wanted me to start small". As you can see I am no expert but little things such as breaking the pull cord and not liking the fuel/bar oil caps steer me in the direction of Stihl. Point being I think I am comparing apples to apples.
Dave

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #14  
I dont consider a 336 a real saw = POS IMO, Should have got you the stihl 200 for a small saw.

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #15  
Probably for what she paid for it, it does serve a purpose and I did not cut my leg off while learning
Dave

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #16  
Uh... I guess I didn't phrase the original question right. I wasn't asking for a Husky to Stihl comparison, but thanks anyway.

I simply wanted to know how the two company's listed specs stack up in terms of CC's and HP/BHP.

Question 1: Do Break Horse Power and Horse Power differ enough to make a difference, and;No difference at all. They are the same thing in regards to this comparison.

Question 2: What is a better overall measure of power - CC's or BHP/HP?HP. I think we clearly illustrated saws of different cc and how they effect HP. Horsepower is what you really want to look for. It will determin how fast the saw will cut. (assuming same style/size chain). Example of the 5105 being LESS cc's than the two you are looking @, but the same or more power. And the 6400 and 555 being MORE power with similar cc's.

It seems Husky sets prices according to CC's while Stihl sets prices based on features.
Not true. You get what you pay for. A 555 or 562xp is going to be more money than the 460, even though they are similar cc. It has to do with the quality of the saw. And the things that make a "pro" saw better, cost more.
Reading the responses, I'm assuming that BHP and HP don't differ enough to comment on... so I guess I'm left with the question of what's a better indicator of power - CC's or BHP/HP....HP. Dont worry too much about cc's. I am sure you have a budget. For sake of argument, lets say $450. Now see how much HP you can get for that $450 regardless of cc's. For example: you are looking at two saws that both cost $450. One is 55cc/4HP, the other 60cc/3.5HP, I would certainly choose the 55cc/4.0HP saw, because it is going to be a faster cutting saw.

Both questions are asked so that I can compare apples to apples on my own.

Hey LD1,
FYI my smaller husky is a 336 xpt , it is my understanding that is a professional grade saw used when climbing? It was a gift and my first saw "wife wanted me to start small". As you can see I am no expert but little things such as breaking the pull cord and not liking the fuel/bar oil caps steer me in the direction of Stihl. Point being I think I am comparing apples to apples.
Dave

I certainly dont consider comparing a 36cc top handle saw to a 60-70cc?????stihl an apples to apples comparison.:confused2: For starters, they are designed to do totally different things, and as XYZ said, the 336xp was a POS. But that certainly doesnt mean all their saws are.

What is the stihls you have BTW. Try comparing them to a comparable husky. If you ave an 044/046 (441/460), put that up against the 372xp or 576xp:thumbsup:

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #17  
Larger saw is a 460, which I am quite happy with, father in law has a 372 which he had lots of carb troubles with, who knows could have been running crappy gas, but after his troubles I went Stihl.
Dave

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #18  
460 good saw in 76cc range. But a cheaper, lighter and better saw is the 7900 79cc. JMO. The 372 71cc is more like the 440 not 460.

372 is one of the easest saws to work on. Carb work $20 at most. Kits $11 easy fix if you know what you are doing.

Had to put a new OEM crank in this one

Frosh362xp004.jpg

Frosh362xp005.jpg

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #19  
Yep, pound for pound, in the under 80cc class, the 7900 reighns king. It will eat all other competitors. (stock of course).

And it really gives the 385XP and 650 stihl a good run for their money. Anything under 20" wood and it is too close to call IMO. But the much lighter 7900 in the hands certainly gives it the edge IMO.

But if you are so used to your MS460 (which is an excellent saw BTW), you should really try some smaller stihls. Like the 290 in question, or even the smaller saws like the 170 or 250. If those had been your first real experiences with stihl, you would probabally be calling them junk. But my point is, that isnt fair to stihl. Just like IMO your comment wasnt fair to husky.

They all make great saws. And they all make crap homeowner saws to appeal to the $200 crowd. And when you are used to running an $800 beast, those $200 saws (doesnt matter what brand) feel like junk.

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #20  
Just got home from work, my husky is a 338 xpt nit a 336, does this make a difference or is it still a pos?
Dave