Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #21  
Just got home from work, my husky is a 338 xpt nit a 336, does this make a difference or is it still a pos?
Dave

Sorry not to me. 338 is what they are too, 200 is top dog. Just that far ahead of competition, except their carb problems.

They say the T540xp husky is going to close the gap. Time will tell. stihl 201 just missed it's older brother already.

Watch the oiler on your 338. ;)

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #22  
Have noticed the oiler, was under impression it could not be adjusted? Is this true? Only uses about 1/2 tank of oil per tank of fuel.
Dave

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #23  
Have noticed the oiler, was under impression it could not be adjusted? Is this true? Only uses about 1/2 tank of oil per tank of fuel.
Dave

338xpt has adjustable oiler. Look for screw slot right under the bottom right side in gap of crankcase. Turn it up all the way. I like just under 1 tank oil to 1 tank mix.
Husky saws in those makes have inherited oiler problems. Just keep a eye on it.

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP
Thanks LD1

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #25  
Got it, great tip thanks
Dave

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #26  
Thanks all for taking the time to make the useful contributions.

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #27  
Anyone with a bigger cc MS290 56.5cc want to cut against my smaller old POS 55cc Partner 550 with a 20" and full 3/8 7/32 cutter chain. :laughing:

Weighs just a little more PHO .5lb then the pig MS290, only difference I can also bolt on a 65cc and 70cc top end and turn it into a beast. Biggest the 290 310 390 can go is 65cc on same platform. :thumbsup:

Here it was wearing 16" 3/8 before going to 20".

550028super001.jpg

550028super002.jpg

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #28  
One thing you have to remember, this is a chainsaw topic on a tractor forum site, most of the people on here don't want to mod or change anything, they just want to pick up a saw..have it start easily..and be able to use it when needed. All saws (on the pro end anyway) can be modified and altered to make them run well above their stock capability, but that is another topic all together. I think the OP is just looking to get the most bang for his buck with a stock saw.

Is the Husqvarna 460 or the Stihl 290 the best saws out there? No.
Will they work for most homeowner/landowner applications? Yes.
Are they both reliable in stock form with adeqate power? Yes.
Are there better saws available that will still not break the bank? Yes.
Would these be my first choices? No

I always look at the power to weight ratio and the task at hand when deciding which saw to pick up. How much use is the saw going to see and long will you be holding (operating it) in a given period of time.

big wood=big saw, less time
small wood=small saw avearge time
medium wood=small saw more time, big saw less time

Now lets see how much time you are going to spend cutting in a day's time;
less time you can tolerate a heavier saw, more time you will want a lighter saw with a better power to weight ratio i.e. a pro saw.
Pro saw= more money, less weight, better power to weight ratio
Landowner saw= less money, more weight, not as good of a power to weight ratio.
It's all in what "your" needs require; go try some (dealers will let you do that, the box stores won't), see which one you like the best, and go with it.

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #29  
I think more important than HP are the features you want along with the local service and support. I grew up in a pro logging family. More important to me for new or used chainsaw is the type(s) of oilers. The best combo would be an adjustable auto oiler along with a manual oiler. Otherwise I would prefer a manual oiler first, adjustable auto oiler second, and not buy one with just a fixed auto oiler.

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #30  
Good luck on finding a manual oiler! The adjustable automatic ones today are pretty reliable, just adjust to the type of cutting & you're all set.