Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #1  

86celtics

Hi,

New to the forum.

I'm in the market for a new chainsaw and I have it narrowed down to the Husky 460 Rancher and the Stihl 290 Farm Boss. I'd like to get the most power for my buck and I have a question about comparing the specs of the two models.

Husky lists the 460 as 2.7KW and 3.7 HP
Stihl lists the 290 as 2.8 KW and 3.8 BHP

Question 1 - Does the break in the break horse power make a difference here (as opposed to regular horse power)?

Question 2 - The 460 has a listed CC of 60.3 and the 290 lists 56.5. Which is a better indication of overall output power - KW/HP or CC's?

Also, any overall performance comments would be appreciated....
Thanks

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #2  
JFYI the husky 455 and MS290 are comparable and the husky 460 and MS310 are more comparable.

MS310
# Displacement: 59 cc (3.6 cu in)
# Engine Power: 3 kW (4 bhp)
# Weight: 5.9 kg (13 lbs)
# Fuel Capacity: 560 cc (18.9 oz)

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #3  
I own several Stihl saws including the 290. They are great performers and would highly recommend them. New generation carb design and performance. That is my choice.

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #4  
Agreed, have 2 larger Stihl and 1 smaller husky. Would only buy Stihl going forward.
Dave

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #5  
I currently own a Stihl chainsaw and a Stihl weed eater. I have never experienced any serious problems with Stihl products over the years. Just my experience.:)

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #6  
I own 3 Stihl Saws, my uncle has 3 husky's. I like mine and have nothing bad to say for the use they have had. The 2 big saws have well over 10,000 cord under their belts with almost no down time. One of the saws ate a gear in the oiler. About 8 bucks and it was fixed.
The Husky seems to have a little faster chain speed, which to me means you cut into the rock a little faster and ruin a chain a bit quicker. Their a good saw, It's the Ford vs Chevy trick. What ever you get it will be good . . . John

Attachments

• Dump trailor 0088.jpg
    Dump trailor 0088.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 672
   / Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #7  
If I had to buy 1 new saw in that size right now it would be a Husqvarna 555. Because it is small mount without rev-boost. In the $500 to $575 range with choice of bar length.

* Technical Specifications:
* Husqvarna 555 Husqvarna 562 XP
* Displacement, cc 59.8 Displacement, cc 59.8
* Power, kW/ hp 3.2/4.3 Power, kW/ hp 3.5/4.7
* Weight excl. bar and chain, lbs 11.8 Weight excl. bar and chain, lbs 12.3
* Bar length, inches 16?0 Bar length, inches 16?8

Features

* A World Leader in Chain Saws Just Got Better
* CHARLOTTE, N.C. October 28, 2010 - Husqvarna, a world leader in outdoor power equipment for forestry, lawn and garden care, has developed two new professional chain saws. The new 555 and 562 XP chain saws will change the way the industry classifies best-in-class.
* These powerful saws boast a sleek and slender product design. The slimmed-down height and width of the saw chassis makes them easier to handle in almost any application. The distance between the front and rear handles has been optimized for efficient, comfortable operation. The innovative design also incorporates a lowered front handle with an overmold grip. On the inside, the 555 and 562 XP take advantage of Husqvarnaç—´ revolutionary reduced gyro force technology. By reducing the weight of the saws key moving parts - fly wheel, crank shaft and piston there is less interior movement in the engine, which creates less gyration. These unique features, inside and out, provide for the ultimate in control.
* Not only do these saws look good, theyæ±*e also smart. Available on the 562 XP is the latest breakthrough feature from Husqvarna, Revboost. This feature allows for acceleration in chain speed over short periods to increase efficiency during cutting, specifically in de-limbing applications. Revboost is controlled by the ignition and enables users to increase to maximum RPMs for about two seconds. It is designed to provide an optimum ratio of power to RPMs without having the engine run wide open for extended periods of time. To make field maintenance easier, both new saws come with captive bar nuts that remain attached to the clutch cover. This clever feature reduces the possibility of losing parts and productivity while on the job.
* In addition to these new developments, the 555 and 562 XP also incorporate many proven elements of Husqvarnaç—´ existing professional-grade chain saws, such as:
* Husqvarnaç—´ X-Torq engine technology, which enables the saws to deliver rapid acceleration and high power over a wider RPM range, even under heavy loads. Additionally, X-Torq increases fuel efficiency by up to 20% while reducing exhaust emissions up to 75%, a twenty percent increase in emissions efficiency compared to previous models.
* Husqvarnaç—´ patented AutoTune technology to deliver maximum performance. Sensors check conditions such as outside temperature and internal airflow and automatically adjust the engineç—´ fuel-air mix to optimum levels.
* LowVib to dampen vibration and prevent operator fatigue.
* Smart Start for easy and fast starts.
* Air Injection to dramatically reduce debris in the engine resulting in smoother operation and reduced wear.
* Magnesium three-piece crankshaft for maximum durability.

* The 562 XP is also available with heated handles (562 XP G).

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #8  
I own several Stihl saws including the 290. They are great performers and would highly recommend them. New generation carb design and performance. That is my choice.

Agreed, have 2 larger Stihl and 1 smaller husky. Would only buy Stihl going forward.
Dave

I just hate posts like this^^^ XYZ123, I am suprised you didnt comment. First, IMO, the 290 is NOT a great performer. It is an underpowered, over weight, and overpriced homeowner grade saw.

Second comment to rilesdav, you are not comparing apples to apples. MOST of the time when someone says "smaller husky" they are refering to a TSC peice of junk. And you are most likely compairing that $200 TSC junker to a $800 PRO stihl like a 044/046. How can you make a comment like that. Ever run one of the smaller homeowner grade stihls comparable to that husky???? Or ever run an $800 husky comparable to those stihls??

Kinda like owning a cadallic and a ford tempo. And saying that you would never own a ford because the tempo is a POS compared to the caddy:confused2:

If I had to buy 1 new saw in that size right now it would be a Husqvarna 555. Because it is small mount without rev-boost. In the $500 to $575 range with choice of bar length.

I must disagree. If I had to buy only ONE saw in the $500-$575 range, AND wanted the most HP for my money, it would certainly be a.....
You guessed it....A........
Dolmar 6400:thumbsup:
64cc's
4.8HP
13.6lbs

And if over $500 is too much for the OP, and he is wanting someting more in the $400-$450 range like the MS290 and 460, my choice would be......
Dolmar 5105:thumbsup:
50cc's
3.8HP
11.2lbs

The 5105 will match or out-cut the 290 and 460 (even with less cc's), it IS a true PRO grade saw, It weighs MUCH less, AND costs about the same as the two you listed.

To the OP......If you have a dolmar dealer in your area, I would reccomend paying him a visit. Ask him if he has either of these as a demo that you could take out back and try it first. (most good dealers have a log out back). Then do the same with the 460 and MS290. I cannot speak to the 460, But I assure you the 5105 will blow away the 290:thumbsup:

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #9  
I'm talking light weight 0-60cc saw that can run a 24" to 28" bar. The 555 is 11.8lbs. That is reason why I would go that route.

Reason I wouldnt get the 6400in the above case is the 13.6lb PHO is really 14lb and then put the clutch cover on it. The dolmar makita are weighed without the clutch cover on.

Oh I was just being kind to the horse blinder ones. LMAO. Hey man I got this woodsboss MS290 and it is a beast. Oh yeah compared tot that poulan 40cc 42cc wild thing you used to run that was out of tune.

Is that better LD1 LOL

Oh I ran a 5105 the other day with 5100 muffler to get that epa muffler off. 3/8 chain and was sweet.

/ Stihl BHP ratings vs Husky HP #10  
I'm talking light weight 0-60cc saw that can run a 24" to 28" bar. The 555 is 11.8lbs. That is reason why I would go that route.

Reason I wouldnt get the 6400in the above case is the 13.6lb PHO is really 14lb and then put the clutch cover on it. The dolmar makita are weighed without the clutch cover on.

Yea, I havent ran one of them huskys yet. No doubt it is pretty sweet. But you cannot deny the upgradeability of the 6400:rolleyes: 13.6 IS pretty heavy for a 6400/4.8HP saw, but it is pretty light for a 84cc/6.5-7HP beast:D But even @ 64cc/4.8HP, it is an impressive saw. It seems more like a 5.5HP saw in my hands. What is the 555's big brother?? How far can it be taken?

Oh I was just being kind to the horse blinder ones. LMAO. Hey man I got this woodsboss MS290 and it is a beast. Oh yeah compared tot that poulan 40cc 42cc wild thing you used to run that was out of tune.

Is that better LD1 LOL

I dont like being kind to those types. I will call them out every chance I can. Sure, we can all have our opinions on what we like, but the facts/specs speak for them selves. Nothing more I hate than an apples-to-oranges comparison. I will always try my best to steer a newbie in the right direction and advise them how to get the most for their money. And a 460 or MS290 CERTANLY aint the way to do that.

Oh I ran a 5105 the other day with 5100 muffler to get that epa muffler off. 3/8 chain and was sweet.

In your expert opinion, how do you think that little 51cc saw would compair to the larger 290 or 460. Or even a 310????

Any timed cuts with that saw for comparisons??