Chainsaw recommendation

/ Chainsaw recommendation #1  

OKnewguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Jinma 224
Hey gang, I come seeking advice. I have had a wild thing (pos) and then got one of the good Ryobi 10532's and it has been a pretty good saw. I have used it a ton and it has been very reliable and trouble free. I really like the saw, but it is starting to get worn out. It needs a new sprocket for the chain and might be getting somewhat weak. I really like this size saw for most of my work. Can you guys recommend a pro/semi pro saw in the $350 to $500 range that is similar in size and weight.
Thanks a bunch for the help, Dave

/ Chainsaw recommendation #2  
Hey gang, I come seeking advice. I have had a wild thing (pos) and then got one of the good Ryobi 10532's and it has been a pretty good saw. I have used it a ton and it has been very reliable and trouble free. I really like the saw, but it is starting to get worn out. It needs a new sprocket for the chain and might be getting somewhat weak. I really like this size saw for most of my work. Can you guys recommend a pro/semi pro saw in the $350 to $500 range that is similar in size and weight.

If I were going to buy a saw today it would be this Makita saw made by the German Co. Dolmar. It is very upgrade-able and is a powerful saw in its stock form. Here is a link Baileys Online

/ Chainsaw recommendation #3  
Pick out the top four or five brands and then find a saw you like.:thumbsup:

/ Chainsaw recommendation #4  
Im in before this thread becomes a brand war ;)

If i was in the market for a new semi-pro / pro in your rice range id likely go for a husky 346xp.

The other day i had a look at a stihl ms261. Its a nice saw too. The decision comes down to personal preference and how the saw feels in hand.

/ Chainsaw recommendation #5  
I've gone through the same decision making process since my little Stihl 019T was stolen last month...
Any of the Husky or Stihl products would serve you well...
I really like Dolmar in the 5105 series...
Around here Stihl has many more servicing dealers and that is important to me...
Since my saw was stolen I just decided to get the 8 Homelites my dad had mothballed put back into service...
4 are now running with minor carb and tuning adjustments...
Only 4 more to go...
These are old school Homelites that they don't make anymore...
In my mind, for the few times I use a saw and for the minimal expense of fixing up these old workhorses, I would be ahead of the game...
I hate thieves...

/ Chainsaw recommendation #6  
I had a home depot homelite pro, which I think is the same model as your ryobi (with different plastic). Mine started to wear out so I decided to go the same route as you and upgrade.

I was planning on getting a Stihl farmboss, but after talking to the dealer, he convinced me to get the MS391. All I can say is..... Holy cow this saw is awesome!!!! I spent $540 or so, but the saw has a full 3/8 chain, and cuts LIKE A HOT KNIFE THROUGH BUTTER! :thumbsup:

I always thought that my homelite(Ryobi) saw cut pretty well, until I upgraded to the MS391. My recommendation is that any of the major manufacturers will have good products, but you get what you pay for.

/ Chainsaw recommendation #7  
"These are old school Homelites that they don't make anymore..."-Turbys_1700

My mother in law bought me one for Christmas, 30 years ago. After 20 "homeowner" years, it finally wore out. So I bought another at Home Depot. Lasted about as long as it takes to say every curse word I know. . .

/ Chainsaw recommendation #8  
I buy stihll because I have 2 dealers within 5 miles of me for parts service or to go in and Gauk at new saws.

/ Chainsaw recommendation #9  
Im in before this thread becomes a brand war ;)

If i was in the market for a new semi-pro / pro in your rice range id likely go for a husky 346xp.

The other day i had a look at a stihl ms261. Its a nice saw too. The decision comes down to personal preference and how the saw feels in hand.

i was in a similar situation to the OP last year and i ended up going 346xp. good saw, zero regrets. light, maneuverable, and cuts as it should (even with the factory 'safety' chain).

a friend has a stihl farm boss (ms290 iirc), that's also a very good saw.

i ended up going husky based on local dealer, he went stihl because he's closer to that dealer. both are good saws right in your price range and both are do it all (or most) saws (both have 18" bar)

/ Chainsaw recommendation #10  

This is not a bad saw for the money. I'd put a sprocket on it with a new chain. I do not know how much wood you have been cutting to actually wear out a chain saw, but what you have is a 40 cc chainsaw. Unfortunately this size is considered "home owner territory" and thus, the larger manufacturers tend not to produce a pro grade saw in this category size and what they do produce is in this range is over priced for what you are getting. In keeping with your request of a similar size chainsaw, yo cannot go wrong with Dolmar 350 or 420. After that I'd choose the something in the Echo line up. I'd pick these saws first for what you are getting money wise. The Husky 346 is approaching 50 cc's and is a $500 saw and in some circle's is certainly considered a "pro" line of saw. The Husky 353 is a 346 slowed down a bit but with a tad more torque. This is a $400 good, all around home owner saw with a magnesium case. Another good German saw that you can purchase online is the Solo 643 for around $350. Again. If you are only needing a semi pro saw that is telling me you are not cutting that much or else you'd be clambering for a pro saw and larger than 40cc's. This is why my first inclination is to freshen up the Ryobi with a new sprocket, bar, spark plug, filter and chain. I would not get a bar larger than 16" for this saw or any other 40-42CC saw. They cut much better with a shorter bar. If you simply must have a new saw (which is what I personally go by) Look at the smaller Dolmars if you have a dealer nearby (which is this saws biggest short fall)