Stole a chainsaw

/ Stole a chainsaw #1  

me0418840987

Silver Member
Tractor
ford 800
I was offered a "new" 1984 Husqvarna 181 chainsaw by the farmer up the road this summer. Guess how much? Got it and a 28" bar/2 chains for $150.00. Had the carb rebuilt, and traded up on the bar to a 32"/pair of chains for another $125, so for $275, I now have an incrediable firewood saw. Quite a step up from my 359, which is a really good saw and pulls a 20" bar with no effort at all.

/ Stole a chainsaw
I have found that the best source for "free" firewood is to go after the logs that no one wants/can't handle. In winter, my GMC c-60 sits mostly un used, and I can go scrounge the big stuff from a couple of tree trimmers that can offer free removal as a bonus to their customers. They load it on my truck while I wait, all I do is haul it home and dump. This year, I was able to give some wood to the neighbors down the road who lost their job, hopefully gave them some heating bill relief. One trimmer had such a large job- see silver maple log with saw on it, that he had it delivered to my place by the 30 yard roll off box. that thing was 5' across, got lost counting the rings about 175 or so. He removed 6 silver maples that size, took 3 boxes, and he said he chipped quite a bit.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 362
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 282
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 261
   / Stole a chainsaw #5  
I was able to find a similar arrangement it works well for both of us. The large stuff also comes with alot of "normal" wood. A very old 1050 homelite makes the big stuff smaller. Run the log splitter off the F-350 hyd. Sometimes it is easy to see why the big stuff is given away ,but it is nice when you can work at your own pace and get it done.

/ Stole a chainsaw
I just split up the slab in the center picture above, turned out to be red oak. Nice surprise for a change, as usually I find crap wood like willow and bass wood hidden in the middle of loads. I have 7 chunks that size to process, going to see if I can count the rings on it, must be over 200 years old.

/ Stole a chainsaw #7  
Yes, it is nice to get equipment at great prices. I picked up a nearly unused stihl 029 a year ago for $120. It came with a 20" bar, case and tools.