Oregon PowerNow 40V rechargeable chainsaw.

/ Oregon PowerNow 40V rechargeable chainsaw. #1  

Ozark Hollow

Missouri Ozarks, in a hollow with a creek.
Tractor
B2620
Almost a year ago, I started a thread about chainsaw alternatives to the usual gas, or corded electric types. I was specifically looking for a hydraulic saw that I could hook up to the tractor, because I had seen one at a farm show. But after looking at all the complications, I finally decided against trying to go that route. I got lots of other good suggestions, but nothing panned out for me. Briefly, I'm small, female, and my shoulders are shot, so I can't pull start a gas saw, even the easy start variety that I tried, and I need a saw away from where I could use a corded electric. This is a link to the original thread.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/197831-chainsaw-alternatives.html

I found out this fall that Oregon had come out with a 40V cordless chainsaw, the Oregon PowerNow. It has a self sharpener, and a 14" bar. I've had several weeks to try the saw now, and here's what I think.

The saw has had enough power to get anything done I have thrown at it, without being too much for me to handle safely. It gives me more independence, because if a tree goes down across the trail a quarter mile from the house, now I know I can handle it, without either begging someone to come help, or by trying to hire someone. Previously I had an 18V Ryobi rechargeable with a 10" bar. Subjectively, the Oregon feels like at least 4 times saw of the Ryobi. But honestly, there just isn't any comparison at all really.

Some of the things I've cut with the saw: A small crabapple that had three intertwined trunks, a medium sized peach tree, some osage orange (incredibly tough stuff) a huge mound of deadfall limbs from an ice storm a few years ago, including oak limbs up to 8" in diameter, and finally a medium to large cedar that tipped over in my yard under a heavy snowfall. The cedar was the biggest thing I tackled, the trunk was 14" across at the base. This was definitely a challenge, but the saw handled it. The saw is actually only advertised as good to cut up to 12". I'd had friends and neighbors repeatedly promise for over a year and a half to come and cut that tree for me, it was PRICELESS to me to be able to do it for myself.

I really like the self sharpening feature too. You pull a lever with the saw running and zing, sparks fly and 3 seconds later you have a sharp chain. I think I have personally dulled more chains with a file than actually sharpened them, and you can't beat the speed. Each new chain comes with a new sharpening stone, you change them out as a pair. They are more expensive than a regular chain, but it really saves time. The chain is easy to tighten, with the adjustment screw on the outside so you don't have to take the cover off to get at it. You do have to take that side cover off occasionally though, sawdust and chips can build up inside sometimes. The cover comes on and off very easily without tools.

There are two different kinds of batteries for the saw. The pile in picture #1 was cut with the standard battery and Picture #2 shows the endurance battery. That wood was from my stack of ice storm deadfall, a mixed bunch of oak and sycamore. The endurance battery takes under 2 hours to charge, the standard battery takes about an hour. The standard battery also weighs about a pound less, which can be helpful when you are using the saw to take off limbs. Unlike other rechargeables I have had, the batteries don't fade noticeably. They run on full until they run out of juice and then they quit abruptly. There is a meter built into the battery, press a button and it shows how much charge is left.

The other pictures are before and after of the big cedar. Please note that the roughness of the cut is due to the operator, not the saw. I'd never cut anything that big before. Because it was not all the way on the ground, I was very worried about getting the bar trapped, so I nibbled around the thing. It didn't take long, despite my poor technique.

The only real downside to this saw is the cost. It's going to run you considerably more than a comparable gas saw. However, I think if you have any issues with a gas saw, that it's more than worth the extra cost. No pull starts, much lower noise level, and and no gas, oil, or fumes. I would think that it will have lower maintenance costs, since electric motors generally have less to go wrong, but I can't say that for certain at this point.

I'm extremely happy with the saw. For me, it's just about perfect.

Standard battery
standardbattery.jpg

Endurance battery
endurancebattery.jpg

My nemesis the cedar tree after I got most of the limbs off.
cedar1.jpg

The stump.
cedarstump.jpg

/ Oregon PowerNow 40V rechargeable chainsaw. #2  
Ozar Hollow,

That is an awesome review/testamonial for that electric saw and great p[ics too!

Good for you that you managed that Cedar on your own! BRAVO!

Great post!
Thanks for sharing,
Be well,
David

/ Oregon PowerNow 40V rechargeable chainsaw. #3  
I got one setting here with 3 of the endurance batteries and 2 bars. chains to put through some testing.
Feels a little underpowered, on my first few cuts in 6" ash and 8" hardwood was starting to push it.
It will do fine for those it was intended for IMO. Landscapers, homeowners for light duty trim work.
Oregon also sent me a powersharp set up for one of my small saws using 3/8LP to try.

They told me there is a top handle battery saw in the works plus .325 chain in the powersharp system in the works.

I will be making a video of the powersharp chain, compared to PS3 Stihl round chisel 3/8LP picco and Carlton semi chisel 3/8LP.
Also will be cutting the cinder block to dull a chain and see for myself how well it sharpens it back.

/ Oregon PowerNow 40V rechargeable chainsaw. #4  
powernow009.jpg

powernow001.jpg

powernow007.jpg

powernow005.jpg

/ Oregon PowerNow 40V rechargeable chainsaw. #5  
powernow006.jpg

powernow010.jpg

powernow014.jpg

3/8LP for small poulan mount.

powernow002.jpg

powernow011.jpg

/ Oregon PowerNow 40V rechargeable chainsaw. #6  
JFYI I started a thread awhile ago on the Oregon, Stihl, Husqvarna battery powered chainsaws on Chainsawrepair.

/ Oregon PowerNow 40V rechargeable chainsaw. #7  
Ozark Hollow, you're right about the osage orange trees being tough. We have a bunch of them here they are hard to cut and hard to burn. And I would hate to get hit with the " orange " that falls from them.

/ Oregon PowerNow 40V rechargeable chainsaw. #8  
Just so you guys see a little of the testing over here.

I did a thread on it on chainsawrepair. I tested the oregon powernow.
Then tested a powersharp 16" system on a poulan 260.

For people that have troubles starting gas saws or just need to do smaller trim jobs the powernow is a option.

For people that cant sharpen a chain and use smaller 3/8LP chain the system works and is quick. The chain out of the box was smooth and felt like the best cutting chain. Was it was the fastest I didnt time the 3 chains tested to find out but I posted the videos.

I may of over done it with the cutting the brick testing. Tested in spruce and bar on powernow was 14", so however big that wood was I forgot to measure.

I couldnt get the chains to cut like they did new but they still cut after the resharpen. Will say they both cut a nice groove in the brick too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaffJf5A0-M&feature]Oregon PowerNow cutting brick chain test battery powered - YouTube[/ame]

/ Oregon PowerNow 40V rechargeable chainsaw. #9  
Welp, we ordered the Powernow for trimming branches and other light duty stuff. DH loves the saw but the battery run time is SERIOUSLY low - can only
cut about 25-28 cuts of 1" - 3" before the battery is dead. Then have to wait for the battery to charge before using again. Company sent another battery
but it's no different. At this point we're not sure if we'll keep the saw or not - could get very spendy for batteries. What is your experience with battery run time?
There's sure a HUGE difference between 125 cuts and 25 cuts!

Thanks,

~Carla

/ Oregon PowerNow 40V rechargeable chainsaw. #10  
Welp, we ordered the Powernow for trimming branches and other light duty stuff. DH loves the saw but the battery run time is SERIOUSLY low - can only
cut about 25-28 cuts of 1" - 3" before the battery is dead. Then have to wait for the battery to charge before using again. Company sent another battery
but it's no different. At this point we're not sure if we'll keep the saw or not - could get very spendy for batteries. What is your experience with battery run time?
There's sure a HUGE difference between 125 cuts and 25 cuts!

Thanks,

~Carla

Look at OP original post showing cuts made with standard battery compared to the endurance battery.
Cutting hardwood also has more of a drain and how sharp you keep the chain does too.