Chain Bar Oiler - any saws left with auto and manual oiler

/ Chain Bar Oiler - any saws left with auto and manual oiler #1  

Spanky100

Silver Member
NE Texas, NE Tennessee, and SE MI and SW OH
Tractor
Current Kioti CK27HST and Cub Cadet 1810. Previous NH1510 Hydro, AC D14, Oliver 1355?, and JD 314 Lawn Tractor
Do any new current production chain saws have automatic bar oiler with a manual push button oiler. Some of the older saws had both systems. We have a older small Mac that has both.

Looked at the Sthil line this week and all had automatic oilers. The smaller size saws did not have any ajustment for oil flow. The midsize higher end saws auto oilers had an adjustment for oil flow.

Thanks

/ Chain Bar Oiler - any saws left with auto and manual oiler #2  
the way it was told to me from a dealer- the EPA is the reason for the automatic oiler and the new ones dont put out the oil like the old ones. It seems the chains dont last as long on my new saw compared to my old one that the flow can be adjusted.

/ Chain Bar Oiler - any saws left with auto and manual oiler #3  
I have an Echo CS-8000 (2011) which has an automatic oiler as well as a manual push button. You can also adjust the oil flow too. I run it with a 27" bar and it oils it quite well.

/ Chain Bar Oiler - any saws left with auto and manual oiler #4  
My Echo 8000 and I think the 3120 husky might still have both too.

My 084's and 166's had them. I had 2 3120 and cant remember for sure but think they had them.

Last edited:
   / Chain Bar Oiler - any saws left with auto and manual oiler #5  
the way it was told to me from a dealer- the EPA is the reason for the automatic oiler and the new ones dont put out the oil like the old ones. It seems the chains dont last as long on my new saw compared to my old one that the flow can be adjusted.

Urban Legend about the EPA and automatic chain oilers. I think it had more to do with owners who had never used a chainsaw before, not oiling the chain and then demanding warranty replacement for the bar and chain when the bar and chain was damaged from lack of oil. Automatic oilers also increased the cost of the saw but reduced warranty repair cost.

Some users are also using old car/truck engine oil which also shortens the use life of the chain and bar.

/ Chain Bar Oiler - any saws left with auto and manual oiler #6  
To my knowledge very few new saws have both manual and automatic oilers...
I think that Homelite just kept the manual oiler when they added the auto oiler on the XL series...
I always thought it kind of peculiar that they would have that but no option for adjusting the flow...
Never been an issue with me...
Guess it's what you are used to...

/ Chain Bar Oiler - any saws left with auto and manual oiler #7  
I don't think the EPA is the reason for automatic oilers. But they sure are the reason many modern saws put out significantly less bar oil. I really prefer the older saws that slung a lot of oil, since you could always tell when something went wrong by the lack of oil. My new Stihl 261 uses so little oil, you really can't tell one way or another. It does go through a tank of oil just about like you'd expect though, so it's getting it out onto the bar.

/ Chain Bar Oiler - any saws left with auto and manual oiler #8  
I don't think the EPA is the reason for automatic oilers. But they sure are the reason many modern saws put out significantly less bar oil. I really prefer the older saws that slung a lot of oil, since you could always tell when something went wrong by the lack of oil. My new Stihl 261 uses so little oil, you really can't tell one way or another. It does go through a tank of oil just about like you'd expect though, so it's getting it out onto the bar.

I'd be interested in seeing some source sited as to your assertion about the epa controlling the amount of oil your saw uses.

It's been a long time since i've seen a saw with manual oiler.

/ Chain Bar Oiler - any saws left with auto and manual oiler
Thanks all for the information on bar chain oil auto oilers. I can hopefully find a adjustable auto oiler that will keep the chain wear down in all operating conditions.

Starting to look for a new saw to use for bucking firewood in the 8 to 14 inch diameter range. Past years have used my Grandfather's older saws that seem to last forever (couple old Homelite? with the big bow bar that were designed to cut on front bow when bucking, and Stihl Farm Boss likely from the mid 1980s). Not much plastic on those saws.

Don't laugh too loud at the next part of the story but on Black Friday retail marketing day after Thanksgiving, saw an add for a Poulen "Wild Thing" at a low price. Thought for the three hours a year I plan to use it at this one location, the Wild Thing would OK. No Stock left on the Wild Thing but they did offer a raincheck that I could purchase when stock comes in. Got to thinking I should spend a little more and get a better saw as I like well built products and I usually pride myself making things last for a long time. Went to Stihl dealer. I am sure they are good saws but did not expect to see that much plastic on even there high end saws. So still looking for a better saw then the Wild Thing with out as much plastic. So next question - who makes saws with aluminum or magnesium engine housings and covers? I need to look at the Dolmar/Makita offerings but not finding any close local dealers. Any low cost internet dealers.

Just looking for some help to select the right saw. Wonder if Sthil would make a 1980s re-make classic of the Farm Boss. I would even pay a little more for metal housings and covers. Sorry dreaming. I am sure the "engineered plastic" is lighter and more durable and the old engine would not meet the emission requirements.

Thanks

/ Chain Bar Oiler - any saws left with auto and manual oiler #10  
You have to get in the high end pro stihl saws to get mag case and mag clutch and recoil covers. Quit looking at the cheap stihl plastic homeowner saws. But be prepared to dish out $500 for a MS260 or MS261 , $700 MS361 MS362, $800 MS440 MS441, $900 MS460 and higher for MS660 MS880. :laughing: