Let's talk chains.

/ Let's talk chains. #31  
I have used the RSLK square filed chain. IMO best left for softwoods. Cutting hardwoods for firewood isnt the ticket.

Best files are the saveedge brand way over the stihl ones. I have tried them both. The stihl files are just sub contracted out and made from other brands of who has the contracts at the time.

Saveedge is right here in Ohio too. :thumbsup:

Save Edge | Chainsaw Files & Accessories

I do like the stihl file guides best.

/ Let's talk chains. #32  
Pferd, SaveEdge and Forrester are all superb files. I've had great success with Stihl files but admittingly, have not bought them in awhile. I always thought they were a good Swiss made file. The Save Edge have rather sharp edges where you'd insert into a handle and they hurt my fingers. Nothing a handle wouldn't cure but I almost never put a handle on my files. Also, they leave striations on the cutter if you press too hard. They do last a long time though. I just didn't see them as a night and day difference with Stihl files but who knows about todays Stihl files if they are indeed farmed out all over the place. If I get 4 to 6 sharpenings with a file, I'm happy.

/ Let's talk chains. #33  
If you want to get a good edge on your chain with an accurate angle and have all the cutters the same length ........ Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener |Sharpen Your Chainsaw. It's not cheap, but it's well made and works as advertised. I use mine to true the chain up after a few filings as I'm terrible at getting the angles consistently correct . As far as chains.... Stihl Rsc for full chisel ,woodland pro 30 sc for semi chisel .

/ Let's talk chains. #34  
You reminded me of one of the reasons I like handfiling with the granberg as opposed to a grinder.

I do NOT make all the cutters the same length. IMO, it is a waste of cutter material and you will have to replace chains more often. Rather I only take enough off with the file to leave a sharp cutter.

/ Let's talk chains. #35  
If you want to get a good edge on your chain with an accurate angle and have all the cutters the same length ........ Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener |Sharpen Your Chainsaw. It's not cheap, but it's well made and works as advertised. I use mine to true the chain up after a few filings as I'm terrible at getting the angles consistently correct . As far as chains.... Stihl Rsc for full chisel ,woodland pro 30 sc for semi chisel .

One of the things I love about this place is that there is alot of introduction to new stuff. I'm liking this tool as there is no heat build up on the cutter such as a motorized grinder produces. I don't know if I have the patience to set it up as I don't even take the time to put a handle on my files. Old hand filers die hard. Thanks for the contribution Nix. Definitely worth a consideration in my mind.

/ Let's talk chains. #36  
You reminded me of one of the reasons I like handfiling with the granberg as opposed to a grinder.

I do NOT make all the cutters the same length. IMO, it is a waste of cutter material and you will have to replace chains more often. Rather I only take enough off with the file to leave a sharp cutter.

That's interesting . I've always had it in the back of my head that if the rakers are set to the proper depth ,then the cutter length wouldn't be all that critical. And, I suppose that getting the raker depth wrong on a couple of short cutters would be not too much different than using skip chain .
I'll keep trying to keep all the cutters and raker the same though . I enjoy sitting down in the shop tinkering :)

/ Let's talk chains. #37  
One of the things I love about this place is that there is alot of introduction to new stuff. I'm liking this tool as there is no heat build up on the cutter such as a motorized grinder produces. I don't know if I have the patience to set it up as I don't even take the time to put a handle on my files. Old hand filers die hard. Thanks for the contribution Nix. Definitely worth a consideration in my mind.

Arrow , there's no patience to it . Just watch the video ,and read the online instructions . Simple as that . And, if You have questions... Call timberline . You'll likely be talking to the guy that invented it .l

/ Let's talk chains. #38  

I've always done the same thing. I mean so what if the cut is not perfectly done. When I think of all the chains I used up in my career, I cringe at the thought if I sharpened all my cutters to the length of the shortest one. I would have had to buy probably a third more chains if I had done that.

/ Let's talk chains. #39  
I've always done the same thing. I mean so what if the cut is not perfectly done. When I think of all the chains I used up in my career, I cringe at the thought if I sharpened all my cutters to the length of the shortest one. I would have had to buy probably a third more chains if I had done that.

Exactally how I feel:thumbsup:

/ Let's talk chains. #40  
Well you guys got me interested enough to order one from their site. I did a little googleing first and found a promo code "p129" that's good for $15 discount too! I'll let you know my impressions when I get it. From what others reviews have said they love it. Thanks for the tip NIXON