PTO powered splitter

/ PTO powered splitter #1  

Bud Soda

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, 3000
No chainsaws but I am going to pick up a powerhorse 3 point log splitter from Northern Tool. Instead of using my tractors rear hydraulics I want to use a pto driven pump. I plan on using a PTO pump by Prince with 21gpm flow. I will also use a 21 gallon tank and a filter.
I know the return (out from the valve on splitter) line will empty into the tank but do I install the filter in the return line before or after the hydro tank? Does anyone have a diagram of how this should all be plumbed? I think it should be pump to spool to tank to filter, then back to pump.
Thanks in advance.

/ PTO powered splitter #2  
Sounds good to me. Put the filter right before the pump to prevent anything from the downstream side fouling the pump. Good luck with your project and let us know how it works when you get everything together!

/ PTO powered splitter #3  
Just keep in mind that a 21 GPM pump @ 3000psi and 80% effeciency is going to take 46 PTO HP to operate. So I hope you have a tractor that large.

Best case scenerio...it is only a 2500 psi pump and 85% eff but would still require 36 PTO HP.

/ PTO powered splitter
Just keep in mind that a 21 GPM pump @ 3000psi and 80% effeciency is going to take 46 PTO HP to operate. So I hope you have a tractor that large.

Best case scenerio...it is only a 2500 psi pump and 85% eff but would still require 36 PTO HP.

Have a 27 hp Montana and a 75 hp Montana. I was hoping to use the small tractor. Maybe I should go with the 11gpm pump instead. Then I could also use a smaller tank.

/ PTO powered splitter #5  
Just did a bunch of shopping for a standalone splitter and just about all of them put the filter on the return line just before it enters the tank. I would worry about too much resistance on the pump if the filter was just before it. Like I said, take it for what it's worth, but that's how I'd set it up. Good luck.

/ PTO powered splitter #6  
Have a 27 hp Montana and a 75 hp Montana. I was hoping to use the small tractor. Maybe I should go with the 11gpm pump instead. Then I could also use a smaller tank.

The 11GPM would be a pretty good match to 27HP:thumbsup:

/ PTO powered splitter
The 11GPM would be a pretty good match to 27HP:thumbsup:

The tractor pump output is 7.5 gpm. I wonder if 11gpm would be much faster?

/ PTO powered splitter #8  
The tractor pump output is 7.5 gpm. I wonder if 11gpm would be much faster?

Yes it would definatally be faster. About 46% to be exact.

If using a 4 x 24 cylinder with a 2" rod, cycle times would be.....

............................extend................retract.................total
7.5gpm...................10.4......................7.7....................18.1
11gpm....................7.1........................5.2....................12.4

/ PTO powered splitter #9  
Filter should go in the return line. If filter is on the suction side, the pump may cavitate and wear when cold fluid can't be sucked through filter fast enough to supply pump.