Husky 346XP or 359? or something else?

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #11  
I've heard that Husqvarna is phasing out the 346 next year. If that's true, I'm sure they will have replacement for it performance-wise, although what it will be like 'til they get the bugs out is anybody's guess.

I agree with the 2-saw proposal. Once you get into bigger trees a single saw either doesn't have enough power to get the job done efficiently, or is simply heavy to limb with. The Husky 357 or the Stihl 362 is about as big as I'd want to handle for a single-saw operation.

I've got 2 older saws that get used regularly, one is a Husky 242 for limbing and light felling. Similar size and weight to the newer 346, with a bit less power. The bigger saw is a Stihl 044, old but still potent for cutting speed and torque. Truly a pig to limb with compared to the 242.

Sean

Two saws are definatally better than one:thumbsup: But there was a time when I was a one saw guy. And for me, that was a 7900 dolmar:D If I only had to choose one saw again, that would be it. Pleanty of power for big stuff, but not overly heavy like a 660 or 385xp:thumbsup:

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #12  
Yes the 346xp is leaving and the 550xp is taking it's place. Thread with test video's on Chainsawrepair a couple weeks old already. :laughing:

Catch up guys on latest info and follow the pack. :p

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #13  
I will believe the 346 is gone when I see it. I will say I like the 550 having the primer bulb up out of the way is a better design. Also looks like its got a bunch of low end power maybe they fixed the tipping problem too. :laughing: :thumbsup:

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #14  
I recently purchased a 346 xp w/18" bar and like it a lot. Initially it came with a low-kickback chain, which really decreased the cutting efficiency. I complained about it to my dealer and he replaced it with a pro-chain. Big difference! As for cutting an occasional 20-24 inch tree, as others have said, it will do the job, but if you have lots of trees like that to deal with then you may want to consider a bigger saw.

BTW Arrow, many many moons ago I worked on an experimental housing project in Foster, RI and fondly remember having lunch every day at a roadside place, can't remember the exact name, but shady acre or shady oaks comes to mind. Great burgers (back then).

That'd be Shady Acres. I first started going there in 1968. I cannot recall an experimental housing project in Foster not like the experimental community such as Reston, Virginia. I was there about the same time and saw a bastardization of this project. By the way, I still go to Shady's every Monday for breakfast.

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #15  
Ah yes Shady Acres....last time I ate there was around 1978 or so.

The experimental housing project was a one-off single family industrialized dwelling funded by ILZRO (International Lead Zinc Org) as you might imagine it featured lots of galvanized components. I had the pleasure of learning to use a chain saw on the project, clearing trees, mostly small oaks, for a leach field.

Anyway, back to the 346 XP, I guess if I waited a little longer, I could have purchased the newer (better?) 550 xp.

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #16  
Ah yes Shady Acres....last time I ate there was around 1978 or so.

The experimental housing project was a one-off single family industrialized dwelling funded by ILZRO (International Lead Zinc Org) as you might imagine it featured lots of galvanized components. I had the pleasure of learning to use a chain saw on the project, clearing trees, mostly small oaks, for a leach field.

Anyway, back to the 346 XP, I guess if I waited a little longer, I could have purchased the newer (better?) 550 xp.

Many times you are better off with the older saws. They are a proven entity. Personally, if it was I in charge of a replacement saw for the 346, I'd keep things just about the same and slap on a new number to go with the other 500 series saws.
If you were here in 78 that was the same year of our 42" snow fall and you would have heard about it as people never stopped talking about it.

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #17  
I recently purchased a 357XP and used it on two lightning struck Oaks about that size. It does seem to be a good compromise, between going to a larger saw. If I had to cut a fair amount in that size, I would go to a larger saw.

My Stihl 290 now is strictly a backup.

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #18  
I recently purchased a 357XP and used it on two lightning struck Oaks about that size. It does seem to be a good compromise, between going to a larger saw. If I had to cut a fair amount in that size, I would go to a larger saw.

My Stihl 290 now is strictly a backup.

Not trying to turn this into bashing, but what do you think of your 290? How does it stack up to the 357?

I hear some people say they like the 290 and it is the most popular stihl, etc.

But My experience is that it is really slow and really heavy.

Your thoughts?

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else?
One other thing. When I give saw advice, I always take into consideration what the op is currently using as it may be difficult for some to move to a larger saw. Since this is cyber world, I cannot see your age, health, build or athleticism as it relates to something like a chainsaw. Moving up two or three steps in chainsaw size is not something to be taken lightly.

To answer your question: Im 25 6' 4'' 225 lbs athletic due to my job...
not sure if that helps or not

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #20  
One other thing. When I give saw advice, I always take into consideration what the op is currently using as it may be difficult for some to move to a larger saw. Since this is cyber world, I cannot see your age, health, build or athleticism as it relates to something like a chainsaw. Moving up two or three steps in chainsaw size is not something to be taken lightly.

To answer your question: Im 25 6' 4'' 225 lbs athletic due to my job...
not sure if that helps or not

Well not knowing what I'd call the "klutz" factor of yourself. You are certainly able to handle the largest of chainsaws with all the other criteria considered. I had a friend who was 6'6" and 265 Lbs. He was a sanitation worker and could lift enormous amounts of weight. One Saturday he asked for a part time job cutting with our group. He lasted 1 hour. Him and a chainsaw went together like oil and water as he was a literal bull in a china closet. He'd cut his own head off given the chance.