Husky 346XP or 359? or something else?

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #1  

displacedPA

Gold Member
Tractor
NH T2310
I have been leaning towards the 346xp but I am curious if those of you that have it think it would have plenty of power to fall 20-24 oaks? I typically dont cut anything that big but I have some huge trees on my property. I want a saw that is real quality not a lowes special.

I will be upgrading from a all to be desired 445. I have used it to cut a ton of fire wood with but am not happy with its power. I also dont feel comfortable felling larger trees with it.

I know the xp is a pro line saw and with that comes extra danger. I plan on buying new rated chaps rated to the chain speed.

thanks

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #2  
I have been leaning towards the 346xp but I am curious if those of you that have it think it would have plenty of power to fall 20-24 oaks? I typically dont cut anything that big but I have some huge trees on my property. I want a saw that is real quality not a lowes special.

I will be upgrading from a all to be desired 445. I have used it to cut a ton of fire wood with but am not happy with its power. I also dont feel comfortable felling larger trees with it.

I know the xp is a pro line saw and with that comes extra danger. I plan on buying new rated chaps rated to the chain speed.

thanks

In a word, no. I mean it can be done but I'd choose the 346 as a great limbing saw and a great saw for 8-12" wood. A 357 with an 18" bar is a more all around saw. I'd buy the 555 first however. The 562 is quite abit more money. These saws are over $700 here. The 359 is also a good saw and will certainly do ya but runs a distant third to the Stihl and Husky 357. That covers Husky. The Stihl 362 is a great all around saw but again, pricey. Biggest bang for the buck currently are the Dolmars if you have a dealer nearby and wanted to stay in the $500 ball park. Their 6400 is one sweet saw for the money . If you needed something a bit smaller , their 5100 series saws are also good. Last week I cut down a 30 inch red oak with an 16" barred 357 with no trouble at all. As a matter of fact, I'd not put a bar longer than 18" for any of the tree sizes you mention for several reasons. Speed of cut is the first. It is a much more handy size bar to buck trees with especially if stems are stacked and you'll do it faster. Sharpening is another. It will go faster with shorter chains. And lastly, you'll get better use of the torque curve in the smaller saws I mentioned which will come in handy with a buried bar.

Last edited:
   / Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #3  
I have a Husky 372 XP and love it. I also have a 353. It is a good saw but the 372 is great for the bigger stuff.

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #4  
Sounds like you need a good two saw plan.

I agree with arrow that you you will want something a little bigger for felling them big oak. The 346xp is one heck of a little firecracker. And is really fast in stuff say 10" an smaller. But burried in 20" of hardwood, and the lack of torque is noticable. It is like about any other 46cc saw. And for the money, the 346xp is really expensive.

The bad thing is, husky really doesnt make any other little trim saws that are worth a crap IMO. Anything under the expensive 346xp is box-store material.

And I just have to say it (because I am a fan), see if you have any dolmar dealers in your area. A good 2-saw plan that can probabally be had for ~$900 would be the 6400 w/24" B&C for a large felling saw and a PS420 for a trim saw. The 6400 should be ~$600 and the PS420 should be ~$300.

But since you already have the 445, and if you are happy with it as a trimmer, just get the one big saw. A MS361 stihl, a dolmar 6400, or one of the huskys that Arrow mentioned. All good choices IMO:thumbsup:

IF you are looking to replace the 445 and have just 1 dual purpose saw, and are willing to compromise a little on both ends (little bigger for limbing, and a little smaller for felling), Give the PS5105 Dolmar a look. Pretty comparable to a 357XP, just a tad smaller.

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else?
I will look for a dolmar dealer in my area.
I think I will keep the 445 as a trimmer and get a big saw. if the 445 dies then I will get a pro series for limbing as well.
all good advice here...

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #6  

thanks

I wouldn't wait to buy the chaps. All saws can be dangerous, not just "pro" models.

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #7  
I wouldn't wait to buy the chaps. All saws can be dangerous, not just "pro" models.
+1 Defintely not an item you'd want to think back on and say "If only I'd have bought those chaps".

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #8  
One other thing. When I give saw advice, I always take into consideration what the op is currently using as it may be difficult for some to move to a larger saw. Since this is cyber world, I cannot see your age, health, build or athleticism as it relates to something like a chainsaw. Moving up two or three steps in chainsaw size is not something to be taken lightly. Take a look at the 6400 Dolmar. Heft it, run it if possible. This is about a $600 saw. If you find this saw too cumbersome, and for a saw closer to what you are currently using ( in size but way more power), take a look at the Husky 555. Here it's $700 but you may find it for 6 and change around you. This is a very all around saw. It is light enough to limb with and has enough grunt to run a 20" bar. I'd get this saw with two bars. A 16" and a 20". Your tree size has very little to do with bar length and way more to do with how the saw runs and handles with any given bar as these two bars will cover just about anything you are likely to confront. When people state they have 24" trees and think they have to get a 24" bar, it makes me cringe as now they are having to spend way more money for a saw that "effectively" runs that kind of bar length and it is so unnecessary. Here is another consideration. What is going to happen with your stumps? If you are cutting them to ground level, you'll like a bigger saw as 20" trees bhd (breast height dimension or about 4.5') can get pretty wide at the bottom. Nothing beats up a saw more than stumping. If you are leaving them alone, go with the lighter saw. One last thing. Go with the saw that speaks to you even if it 's a hundred bucks more. You'll handle it better and be way more safe. I think your safety is worth a hundred bucks.

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #9  
I recently purchased a 346 xp w/18" bar and like it a lot. Initially it came with a low-kickback chain, which really decreased the cutting efficiency. I complained about it to my dealer and he replaced it with a pro-chain. Big difference! As for cutting an occasional 20-24 inch tree, as others have said, it will do the job, but if you have lots of trees like that to deal with then you may want to consider a bigger saw.

BTW Arrow, many many moons ago I worked on an experimental housing project in Foster, RI and fondly remember having lunch every day at a roadside place, can't remember the exact name, but shady acre or shady oaks comes to mind. Great burgers (back then).

/ Husky 346XP or 359? or something else? #10  
I've heard that Husqvarna is phasing out the 346 next year. If that's true, I'm sure they will have replacement for it performance-wise, although what it will be like 'til they get the bugs out is anybody's guess.

I agree with the 2-saw proposal. Once you get into bigger trees a single saw either doesn't have enough power to get the job done efficiently, or is simply heavy to limb with. The Husky 357 or the Stihl 362 is about as big as I'd want to handle for a single-saw operation.

I've got 2 older saws that get used regularly, one is a Husky 242 for limbing and light felling. Similar size and weight to the newer 346, with a bit less power. The bigger saw is a Stihl 044, old but still potent for cutting speed and torque. Truly a pig to limb with compared to the 242.

Sean