husqvarna 350 muffler

/ husqvarna 350 muffler #1  

namesray

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota rtv900: kubota mx5200
blocking up firewood today with my husqvarna 350 and the muffler finally fell off. i have been fighting with it for about a year now. it started with the muffler bolts backing out. i tried lock tite (the high heat type) and that didn't work. finally i tacked welded the bolts fast. this was working until i started to notice the whole muffler wiggling when operating. finally fell off tonight. now don't get me wrong, i love husqvarna saws and this saw has been a great saw. i have had it for about 3 years now and have cut well over 400 face cord of fire wood with it. that's wedge/fell, delimb, and block up. a lot of cuts/use. it doesn't owe me anything.

to my question. anybody out there think i should get the muffler replaced? i lean towards doing this, but my biggest fear is that from all the use, the bolt holes in the engine that the muffler attaches to are ovaled/wore out and even the fix would start working loose and i would just have a headache on my hands. what do you think? is there a good way to fix ovaled out holes? the saw still runs good. and i have a good heavy duty bar on it with quite a few custom length chains i just bought. maybe the bar/chains fit on a new one? just wondering what other's thoughts are. thanks in advance.

/ husqvarna 350 muffler
just wanted to clearify myself a little. i was in a hurry the first post. the muffler bolts into the engine, and i think that might be alumimum? the whole muffler was shaking, but the muffler bolts were still tight, so the threads into the engine must be stripped/ovaled out. just buying a new muffler with new bolts is not going to work. i would like to have my dealer fix it instead of buying a new chainsaw, but worry it will just keep working loose since the muffler bolt threads in the engine are damaged. should i just buy a new chainsaw and retire this one? or is there a good fix to the damaged thread holes? chainsaw gets very heavy use.

/ husqvarna 350 muffler #3  
I had the same problem with my 350. I came to learn the 350 is noted for this problem. My suggestion would be to put Heli-coils in both holes then drill small holes in the bolt heads and run wire through the holes. My saw had worn the holes so large I could not fix them and I sold the saw for parts. Too bad, it was a great saw except for this problem.

/ husqvarna 350 muffler #4  
I had the same problem with my 350. I came to learn the 350 is noted for this problem. My suggestion would be to put Heli-coils in both holes then drill small holes in the bolt heads and run wire through the holes. My saw had worn the holes so large I could not fix them and I sold the saw for parts. Too bad, it was a great saw except for this problem.

I think I may have seen this 350 of yours on craigslist in Ohio?

I actually cant stand the plastic crankcase even though I like the bolt on cylinders it has. I just stay away from them even when offered for $100 like new.
Seen to many melted through oil tanks.