Question about Chainsaw blades

/ Question about Chainsaw blades #1  

daschluck

Tractor
Kioti CK20SHST
I own a Stihl Pro 036. Is has been a great saw. However, at the end of the season last year I noticed all of sudden the blade is just smoking bad. So I stop it and find the chain oil is gone. Shouldn't have been as I had just filled it. Turns out the oil tube got cut/broken not sure (a buddy fixed it for me). So I put it back on the bar and all 3 of my working chains are too big. I thought maybe my buddy put something back together wrong. There was nothing wrong. At this point I decided the bar must have worn so badly that it got smaller as I can't come close to tightening it up. The bar is pretty old anyway and a little bent, so I replaced it and also bought a new chain. Now all is good, however before I put them on I compared to the old bar and chain. The old bar had some wear, but not that much. The chains however were quit noticably longer. I know they stretch, but man I have used for awhile and even had them sharpened 2 or 3 times. My question is (sorrry this took so long) are these chains junk now? Is there an easy way to take a link out? or not worth the trouble? Appreciate any opinions.

/ Question about Chainsaw blades #2  
A good dealer will stock chain in bulk rolls, and have all the tools to make them in custom lengths. That kind of shop should be able to take a link out of an old chain and put the chain back together for you. Though the chains may not be worth the trouble if they are very old. I'd see how much life is left in the cutters and links/pins, and go from there. For a chain to stretch that much, I'd suspect the pins are close to shot.

Stihl pre-stretches their chain, so if a Stihl chain gets noticeably longer, it's probably due to wear in the pins and links.

/ Question about Chainsaw blades #3  
A good dealer will stock chain in bulk rolls, and have all the tools to make them in custom lengths. That kind of shop should be able to take a link out of an old chain and put the chain back together for you. Though the chains may not be worth the trouble if they are very old. I'd see how much life is left in the cutters and links/pins, and go from there. For a chain to stretch that much, I'd suspect the pins are close to shot.

Stihl pre-stretches their chain, so if a Stihl chain gets noticeably longer, it's probably due to wear in the pins and links.

Yep he nailed it. You can get links taken out. While you are fiddling with your saw when you are taking off chains use a small screwdriver or something to clean out the groove in the bar. Clean out the small oil holes in the bar. If you have a sprocket nose on the bar make sure it is turning freely.. Makes sure the rails that the chain is riding on are flat and smooth not curled over. A word of warning on the rails those can be sharp so use gloves. Also I try to make sure my oiler is working when I fire up the saw by aiming it at a log or something and revving it up several times to see if there is oil being slung out..
That's a great saw. Over working it having the oiler not giving you oil will not be a good thing for the engine.. PS: Keep that airfilter clean.. I am sure you aware of it.. It surprises me how often those things get left for "another day".

/ Question about Chainsaw blades
Thanks for the advice. Again, I learned something today.

/ Question about Chainsaw blades #5  
If the chains were run hot might as well junk them. The temper is gone and keeping them sharp is a lot of work.:thumbsup:

/ Question about Chainsaw blades #6  
Those kind of chains I use as my dirt chains for cutting logs up that have dirt or metal in them or even down around the roots of trees if I need to get the root ball out of the way.. They would have to get pretty hot to stretch that much but it sounds like what has happened.

/ Question about Chainsaw blades #7  
I own a Stihl Pro 036. Is has been a great saw. However, at the end of the season last year I noticed all of sudden the blade is just smoking bad. So I stop it and find the chain oil is gone. Shouldn't have been as I had just filled it. Turns out the oil tube got cut/broken not sure (a buddy fixed it for me). So I put it back on the bar and all 3 of my working chains are too big. I thought maybe my buddy put something back together wrong. There was nothing wrong. At this point I decided the bar must have worn so badly that it got smaller as I can't come close to tightening it up. The bar is pretty old anyway and a little bent, so I replaced it and also bought a new chain. Now all is good, however before I put them on I compared to the old bar and chain. The old bar had some wear, but not that much. The chains however were quit noticably longer. I know they stretch, but man I have used for awhile and even had them sharpened 2 or 3 times. My question is (sorrry this took so long) are these chains junk now? Is there an easy way to take a link out? or not worth the trouble? Appreciate any opinions.

I'll assume you checked for full travel of your adjustment screw where no area of the screw was stripped.

/ Question about Chainsaw blades #8  
Arrow I had thought about that but then he said he found the oil tube was cut or broken. Doesn't mean the adjuster isn't hosed up either. I've had to repair a few of those adjusters especially after Joe Homeowner cranks the sideplate down on the bar without makings sure the adjuster finger is locked into the hole on the bar.

/ Question about Chainsaw blades #9  
I'd pitch the chains. As mentioned, if they are stretched SOO much they wont even tighten, pins are worn. And the last thing you want is a broke chain with sharp cutters flying back at you:eek: Besides, a new chain is what...$18. And to have someone take links out and shorten will probabally cost you $10 or so. Just aint worth the money or risk IMO

/ Question about Chainsaw blades #10  
I'd pitch the chains. As mentioned, if they are stretched SOO much they wont even tighten, pins are worn. And the last thing you want is a broke chain with sharp cutters flying back at you:eek: Besides, a new chain is what...$18. And to have someone take links out and shorten will probabally cost you $10 or so. Just aint worth the money or risk IMO
Not to mention wear and tear on sprockets.