Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 3720

Default Stihl MS310 Hard Starting

Gas, Spark, Air - Ops Checked Good

Saw starts in one or two pulls when it has been sitting on its base. Problem seems to occur when it has been turned on its side to do unimportant things like fill with gas and oil. I'm guessing it is flooding but curious as to why. Also is there a "best" method anyone has figured out to get excess gas from the system? I have tried holding the throttle wide open and cranking without any success after 10-20 pulls. Appreciate any advice as I am using all my energy trying to start the saw instead of cutting trees. TIA!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2006 Kubota L3400

Default Re: Stihl MS310 Hard Starting

mine had a small crack in the pickup line inside the fuel tank, it would start and run for a few seconds then die when throttle was applied.. not saying that is the problem but something you might want to look at..
    cheers,
    bigballer
    2006 L3400hst (380hrs)
    la463 QA fel, backhoe, toothbar,
    brushhog, boxblade, rake, grapple

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Does it run well after starting?
    If it's flooded pop the spark plug, give it a couple of pulls, replace plug.
    Try running some Seafoam thru it.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

When is the last time the air filter was taken off and washed and dried and then put back on? Or replaced completely? If it floods that badly next time pull off the air filter and tip it on it's side for a few minutes with fuel in it. See if you notice any fuel coming out of the carb or any where. Like the other response leaky fuel lines or the diaphragm in the carb might be sketchy. Then try starting it with the air filter off so it sucks more clean air instead of through a fuel saturated air filter.. See what that does for you.
    1st Peter 1:6-9

Tractor
    New Holland / T4.75 Powerstar & Boomer 1030, Case 580 SM II

sounds like it needs a carb kit and spark plug. However I would try running Seafoam throught the air intace a few times until she stalls with throttle applied and then mix some into the gas / oil mix too. I mix always 40:1 and my Stihl 034 had after 15 years: 1 spark plug, 1 carburator kit and 1 bar. That's it. My FS110 gave me problems earlier in the spring (hard starting, not running right idling and at full throttle) and I cured it with Seafoam. Runs like new now.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by Beltzington View Post
    Gas, Spark, Air - Ops Checked Good

Saw starts in one or two pulls when it has been sitting on its base. Problem seems to occur when it has been turned on its side to do unimportant things like fill with gas and oil. I'm guessing it is flooding but curious as to why. Also is there a "best" method anyone has figured out to get excess gas from the system? I have tried holding the throttle wide open and cranking without any success after 10-20 pulls. Appreciate any advice as I am using all my energy trying to start the saw instead of cutting trees. TIA!
    If you are in Georgia and usung a chainsaw now, you could be experiencing some type of vapor lock in the fuel line when you go to refuel after a hot work out. It restarts only after the saw has cooled which is usually having a saw upright. If you leave the saw on its side to cool down and it starts after 20 minutes, that will give you clues. Try refilling the saw before it goes empty and use premium gas. Peak inside the fuel tank after the saw has been running for a while and see if you can see the gas "percolating". That will also tell you that the fuel is overheating. It only takes 140* for gas to start boiling and thus create vapors. Your cap may not be venting as it should or it may be just too hot outside to be running a chainsaw on regular gas. Seafoam could help if indeed is vapor lock. As a result of fuel injection in cars, they have made gas with less btu's and vapor lock just is not a problem as it used to be when cars had carburetors. If it is not starting after the carb has run dry and you go to refill it with the saw cool, then you have carb problems of either a bad needle (flooding) or a bad diaphragm ( no gas). Again because of today's fuels they're making.
    Last edited by arrow; 06-23-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Tractor
    JD 3720

Appreciate all your suggestions. Finally got to working on the chainsaw and my original assumption was incorrect. Saw won't fire period. Took the air filter, exhaust off and verified the spark plug was firing when grounded but even with ether sprayed in the combustion chamber it will not turn-over. No idea how to proceed. Any other suggestions?

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

You may want to pick up a new plug if you haven't already. If you can get your hands on a compression tester and see how much compression it has. I don't know what they should be running. One of the other brainiacs on here can tell you. Those would be the first two things.
    1st Peter 1:6-9

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Dont use ether on a 2-stroke and dont use seafoam either.

If it needs a "jump start" ditch the ether and just put a capfull (bottle cap) of 2-stroke mix in the plug hole.

As to your problem, is it indeed flooding or is it starving for fuel??? When it wont start after 20 pulls, take the plug out. Is it dry or wet??

If it has air and gas in the right amount AND spark, that only leaves one thing....compression. Do a comp test as already mentioned. When a saw gets tired, they get finicky and hard to start.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by Beltzington View Post
    Appreciate all your suggestions. Finally got to working on the chainsaw and my original assumption was incorrect. Saw won't fire period. Took the air filter, exhaust off and verified the spark plug was firing when grounded but even with ether sprayed in the combustion chamber it will not turn-over. No idea how to proceed. Any other suggestions?
    Ok this presents a different problem altogether. Low compression usually does not prevent a saw to start. They run crappy but unless a piston ring is actually broken, it could start with low compression. LD1's question is pertinent. No gas or too much? By any chance are the fuel lines wet? If you've got a good spark and put some gas in the carb and it starts, you know you are getting no gas. Replace all fuel lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast