Echo EVL500

/ Echo EVL500 #1  

Otto Syracuse

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4410
Have an older Echo EVL500, maybe from 1980s or so....it was my Dads and we cut tons of wood with that saw. I keep it at camp and use it 2 or 3 times a year. I can't get it started and was told that it needs a new carburetor at the least. I was also told that the carb is no longer available.
So my question is, what are my options or what can I do? Given that it was my Dads saw and that it happens to be a great saw when it runs, I'd really like to get it going again.

Suggestions, help, ideas....i'll even ship it somewhere (i am in Syracuse, NY) if you think you can get it going!

Thanks all for any help!

/ Echo EVL500 #2  
Find out what model the carb is, and rebuild it. Kits are usually about $10.

/ Echo EVL500
Oh if I could! I am sure it is easy for someone to do, but I would have no clue how to do it. And I was told that the parts are no longer available. Would I be able to cross reference another carburetor to it?

/ Echo EVL500 #4  
Oh if I could! I am sure it is easy for someone to do, but I would have no clue how to do it. And I was told that the parts are no longer available. Would I be able to cross reference another carburetor to it?

What is the carb model number? I'd suggest you start googling on it. I rebuilt a carb on a 40+ year old saw last fall, and easily found a kit for it. That was an ancient British carb that's no longer in production, but kits were readily available online (this after the local small engine shop said it was a dead end).

/ Echo EVL500 #7  
Have an older Echo EVL500, maybe from 1980s or so....it was my Dads and we cut tons of wood with that saw. I keep it at camp and use it 2 or 3 times a year. I can't get it started and was told that it needs a new carburetor at the least. I was also told that the carb is no longer available.
So my question is, what are my options or what can I do? Given that it was my Dads saw and that it happens to be a great saw when it runs, I'd really like to get it going again.

Suggestions, help, ideas....i'll even ship it somewhere (i am in Syracuse, NY) if you think you can get it going!

I have a 1980s John Deere 55 SV. My brother-in-law also has one and a good friend also has one. They were made by Echo about that time frame and were the same as the Echos. None would start as of 3-4 years ago and it sounds just like your problem. After talking to some Echo dealers we found the fix on these was the ignition module, and that's what it was on one of them and confident that's the problem on the other one. On another older one that didn't have an electronic ignition module but a regular points system, that just needed adjustment. The module cost around $125. Just make sure you have good spark as this could be the problem.

I didn't replace the module on mine yet because it is an old saw, but I didn't throw it away yet because when it runs, I like it better than my Stilh. I just have to bite the bullet on the module.

/ Echo EVL500 #8  
Its probabally just gummed up with old stale gas and/or ethanol has deteriorated the fuel supply line or seals in the carb.

Get the # off the carb, get a rebuild. Sure there are a lot of small parts, but it isnt rocket science. Take it appart, clean everything real good, and replace with rebuild kit parts the exact same way it came appart. They are pretty easy if YOU are the one to take it appart so you see how it goes.

/ Echo EVL500
Update, one of my coworkers said he would tinker with it. He said he could easily rebuild the carb for me and take it from there. I'll mention the ignition module to him too. Also, I misspoke, it is a model VL500, not EVL.
We all have our specialties, and taking small items apart and putting them back together is not one of mine. Sometimes it is better to know your limits than to end up with a basket full of parts.

/ Echo EVL500 #10  
Update, one of my coworkers said he would tinker with it. He said he could easily rebuild the carb for me and take it from there. I'll mention the ignition module to him too. Also, I misspoke, it is a model VL500, not EVL.
We all have our specialties, and taking small items apart and putting them back together is not one of mine. Sometimes it is better to know your limits than to end up with a basket full of parts.

Echo will give you their new 50cc saw if you return the 500VL in the recall.

Some 8,500 Echo model 500VL chain saws with flywheel problems are being recalled voluntarily by the company and replaced with a new solid- state magneto chain saw at no cost to the consumer.
Owners of Model 500VL chain saws with serial numbers inclusive to 0023000 should contact their Echo Dealer to arrange for replacement of the saw at no charge. The new Echo saw, model 510 EVL, comes equipped with a solid-state electronic magneto which is not removed during routine maintenance.

I think there is newer then the 510 now too. Good Luck with your choices.