Tractor
    Bobcat CT-230

Default Chainsaw + Lewis Multi Drill?

I finally saw the add for the Lewis Multi Drill. It is made by the same company that makes the Lewis winch.. Has any one tried one and if so what is Your opinion of them? I have looked on various sites and have not been able to find any reviews.. We are going to be building a pole barn later on this year and was wanting to find something to drill holes for post.
    Yes I know they make post hole diggers for tractors, just don't have a tractor just yet, as the land is ALL paid for!! I can rent a tractor and have access to a PHD but, as of right now some of the property is not accessible to a tractor for fencing also, due to amount of trees. I have numerous saws i could use this on and I have one in particular in mind, a Husqvarna 480 that I can not find an oiler for it. So If any one has any experience with these or knows where i can read some reviews Please let me know , Thanks

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Default Re: Chainsaw + Lewis Multi Drill?

I've never used or seen one but my thoughts are it isn't going to work for a pole barn. The largest auger they offer is 8" and pole barns generally use a 16" base hole with concrete on the bottom as a footing. It also doesn't look like it would go 4' deep which is the standard around here for barns. If you have any rock in your soil I would forget it. Interesting concept though.

MarkV

Tractor
    Deere 955 / NH 2120

They were originally designed for seedling tree plantings, I wouldn't attempt large holes with it.

Ed

LD1
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Wow, I just now looked up what one of these are. Here Many uses for the Lewis Multi Drill, Earth, Ice and Wood drilling. - YouTube For those who didnt know like me.

All I can say is thanks, but not thanks. Not something I want to do. I dont know if there is some type of slip clutch or something built in, But I dont want to be the one hanging on when the bit grabs a hold of something. I know my 8 amp electric drill (1.25HP) can sure put a hurting on me if it grabs something, let alone a 5-6HP chainsaw
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

You should be able to rent portable post hole diggers.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

2 man post hole diggers. is what you most likely be renting....

open up the old paper phone book, and look up "machine rental" call up places up to 2 hours away, due to prices can range that much. and even when counting in gas and time. some places further away can make it worth while.

also double check on 3 to 4 days, to weekly rentals. longer you rent it up front, normally bigger discount you get.
    Ryan

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    Wow, I just now looked up what one of these are. Here Many uses for the Lewis Multi Drill, Earth, Ice and Wood drilling. - YouTube For those who didnt know like me.

All I can say is thanks, but not thanks. Not something I want to do. I dont know if there is some type of slip clutch or something built in, But I dont want to be the one hanging on when the bit grabs a hold of something. I know my 8 amp electric drill (1.25HP) can sure put a hurting on me if it grabs something, let alone a 5-6HP chainsaw
    *cringes at flash backs*

ya, i would quickly skip idea of chain saw digger as well. bruised hands, arms, legs, when they catch, they catch, and there is no re-action time. beyond the after math and hopefully no broken bones, and just bruises.

=========
    2 man post hole diggers, the engine weighs so does the bit itself. 2 man lifting the machine up after a few holes drilled and holding on... it can add up fairly fast.
    Ryan