Stihl 036 - what bar & chain?

/ Stihl 036 - what bar & chain? #1  

Baby Grand

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H
A guy at work just gave me a Stihl 036 that he can't get started.
Externally, it looks to be in great shape, but it has no bar or chain.
Before I spend anything on parts, I'd like to see if I can get it started.
I already have a Stihl 361 and a Stihl 011.
The 361 has 20"/.375 on it.
The 011 has 14"/.325? on it.
Question #1: Any reason why I shouldn't run the saw without it's bar & chain?
Question #2: What do folks recommend for a bar/chain length/pitch for this saw?

I'd like to get a longer bar for the 036 for the odd big tree (I have a few down, already, due to storms).
I'm not sure what the practical limit for that saw is and I know there's folks on here with lots of saw experience.
It doesn't need to be top performance, but I just don't want to bury the saw with too much load.

Also - I'd like to give him something for the saw if I can get it running - what would be a fair "donation"?

-Jim

/ Stihl 036 - what bar & chain? #2  
I have a 036 pro that had a 25 on it we I got it, I thought it was a little long seemed to work it hard. It had 3/8 pitch, I dropped back to a .325 18" just for convenience, other saws in this size, besides I have a MS 440 to handle the big stuff. I don't see where it would hurt to get it started with out a bar, you have the clutch and it really doesn't have much drag from the chain.

/ Stihl 036 - what bar & chain? #3  
That's an older equivalent to your 361, so it will have similar capabilities in terms of bar length. I don't have the charts in front of me, but you should be able to lookup the stock chain pitch from any chain manufacturer (Oregon has a good online guide), or just eyeball the sprocket and see if that gives you a clue.

I run without a bar/chain from time to time. No issues.

/ Stihl 036 - what bar & chain? #4  
Use the bar and chain from the 361 as alreaady stated they are the same. How's the compression?
Oregon does have some good charts but we have found the Stihl chain and equipment a more durable product not only on Sttihl but Husky as well.

/ Stihl 036 - what bar & chain? #5  
Non runner 036 that you can might get to run. Donate $100. Parts are worth that.

Muffler mod the 036 and especially the epa muffler on 361 and retune your carbs. H side richer and adjust L and I if needed and see how much more power they have in the cut.

I have owned both 361 and 036. Run same bar set ups on both.

/ Stihl 036 - what bar & chain?
Thanks, guys!
I know I can always trust the TBN braintrust for good advice.
-Jim