Chainsaw bar oil question

/ Chainsaw bar oil question #11  
<font color="blue"> Oil never comes off the chain, and if it did, I'd bring it in for service. I don't want to be squirting oil on the ground while I'm cutting wood. </font>

What I don't like about my Stihl 025 is that is has neither an adjustable oiler (like my old Mac 10-10) or a manual oiler. If you are cutting green wood neither is needed. However if you have to remove an old dried stump or something similar you will need that extra oil to lubricate and cool the chain. An RS chain runs about $25 I would rather put a little more oil non the ground than buy another chain. I only use Stihl or similar bar oils they have additives that make them "sticky". It's the same logic as you don't use outboard motor oil in weadeaters or vice versa if you do you will eventually get to buy and new outboard or a weedeater. I got lucky I only had to buy a weedeater.

Mike

/ Chainsaw bar oil question
Folks,
Thanks for the replies. We had rain again so I have not tested the saw. But I don't think it is something I am going to worry about based on what has been written.

The Saw is 2 years old and has been through maybe 6 cords of wood. I sharpen the chain w/ each tank of gas. I flip the bar when I remember to. It has been a really good saw for my needs. As I get older I can't remember things as well so I don't really know if this saw ever threw oil. But the poulan sprayed a lot of it and that is what I am comparing it to.

Chief,
I am using Poulan bar oil. Still have 2 qts left from the old saw. That is all this saw has ever seen. If this weekends test cutting is problematic I will try some Stihl oil

Phil

/ Chainsaw bar oil question #13  
I think I have had about 10 different chainsaws over the past 30 years and no two were alike in the
bar oiling department. The Mac 10-10 had an automatic oiler as well as a manual one, which was nice
in heavy cutting. The first Mac I had only had a manual oiler some times I would forget to hit the oil
lever, the automatic oiler was a nice feature.

The old rule of thumb was a tank of oil to a tank of gas. I have noticed the newer Husky's I have use
about 2/3 oil to a tank of fuel, bar and chain life is normal. I do have to look close to see any oil sling with
Husky's.

Randy

/ Chainsaw bar oil question #14  
PhilNH5, try that or maybe try thinning out the current oil a bit with some kerosene or diesel. Not too much or you might have a mess. I have my eye on an O-26 pro for my next sister saw. That O-66 gets mighty heavy after several hours and is lots of fun limbing with it. I have a Homelite Super 2 my Dad gave me to limb with but I can cut faster with a hand saw than that thing can. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Chainsaw bar oil question #15  
I've a small Stihl, and a larger Sears. The former does not throw oil (the oil reservoir empties about a third as quickly as the gas tank, i.e., fill oil about every third time one fills the gas tank), but the latter does (fill oil reservoir every other gas tank fill). I use Stihl brand oil, and the saw is only a year old. Used to worry about such, and cleaned out the oil nozzle, etc - seems the Stihl is just more economical with oil, and environmentally friendly.