Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B3000HSDCC

Default Chainsaw bar oil question

Folks,
    I am hoping someone here can help me. I have a Stihl 025C chainsaw. Over the weekend I took the chain off to flip the bar. Gave it a thorough cleaning as well. Put it back together and tested it out. The chain was not throwing oil as it should. Stopped it and both the chain and bar are well oiled. Fire it up again but still not slinging oil off.
    Today I read the manual and took the bar off again. Cleaned the oil hole though it wasn't dirty nor blocked. Test run gave the same results. Well lubed chain and bar but nothing flying off the tip like it should.
    Any ideas or suggestions? I haven't cut with it yet as I am worried about the bar oil issue.

Thanks, Phil

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5000

Default Re: Chainsaw bar oil question

I just bought a new 025 about 3 months ago and mine doesn't look like it's throwing oil like I think should or like my old Mac 10-10 but as long as the chain is wet and not dry and overheating it's OK. The 025 does not have an adjustable oiler like I am used to which bothers me a little bit but it cuts fine. I only use bar oil in it not 30 wt motor oil.
    Mike

Tractor
    Kubota B3000HSDCC

Mike,
    Thanks for the reply. That is good to hear. In my mind I was comparing my 025C to the Poulan I replaced it with. The Poulan really sprayed the bar oil. The 025C isn't flinging any.
    I will give it a test in some wood tonight and keep an eye on the temperature.

Phil

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200

I also have the Stihl 025C. The carburetor also has no adjustment other than idle. These saws are designed to run cleaner to help conserve the environment. Might as well get used to it because all machines will be like that some day. Stihl is even making a four stroke engine now for some of its tools for even cleaner running. My saw works great. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    New Holland Boomer2030

PhilNH5
    I've had my 025 for over 10 years. The oil has never really flown off the tip like the manual says. I have also never had any problems with it either.
    Solo

Tractor
    Kubota B3000HSDCC

Craig and Solo,
    Thanks for the replies. Makes me feel better knowing othe 025s run this way.

Phil

Veteran Member
    Cherry Valley, New York (near Cooperstown, NY)
    Tractor
    Kubota L4630, with cab and loader, 1951 Ferguson TO-20, 1986 Ford 5610 with loader

I don't have a Stihl, but I have a Husky. Oil never comes off the chain, and if it did, I'd bring it in for service. I don't want to be squirting oil on the ground while I'm cutting wood. That would be just one more (little) souce of pollution. I think your saw is working the way it's supposed to.

Tractor
    Kubota B3000HSDCC

Rich,
    My Poulan did and according to my Stihl manual the 025C should as well. The manual tells you to point the tip at a piece of wood and you can see the oil. This is suppose to be a check that the oil pump is working OK.
    But even if it is not being flung off the bar the oil is going some where. And yes it is a source of pollution. That is why the manufacturers have started offering vegetable oil based bar lubricants. Stihl calls their product BioPlus.

Phil

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2410 with turfs

Phil,

Great question! I just bought a new Stihl also and was concerned about that very thing. I read the manual where it shows (including pictures) how to check to ensure that the chain IS throwing oil. I was a little concerned also, but this thread has eased some of that. In any event I did use the saw extensively after that [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] anyway.... and I kept checking the chain all the time to ensure it was ok.

Kevin

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4410

I have an O-66 Stihl which has the oil rate adjustment. I don't believe the O-25 has such an adjustment. Are you using generic chain bar oil like at Walmart or the Stihl oil? (they are way to expensive for me too) If not enough oil is being applies for your liking; I would think the only other choice would be to use a slightly thinner oil which would flow faster. You should be OK with what you have I think. As long as the bar and chain are getting a reasonable amount and nothing is getting hot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast