Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Re: Chainsaw Chaps

Don't stop at the chaps. Get helmet with screen guard, eye protection, LONG PANTS, hearing protection, Gloves, and steel toe boots.
    I'm not kidding. When I use a chain saw I suit up like I'm going to war and each one of the protectors I mentioned above has saved me one time or another.

The one day I didn't use any gear for a quickie cut, I had cut off pants on, ****, sneakers. I made the simple cut, turned off the saw waited for the blade to wind down and started to set the saw down. Well it clipped my exposed leg and ( remember the machine was off and blade not moving ) it made a gash 6" long and I bled like a stuck pig.

I have that scar today and it was years ago. I never ever take using a chain saw for granted.

Gear up, it's worth it.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    new holland and a ford

Worked for a profesional tree company for nearly 20 years and we were required to wear them; subject to being fired on the spot if you were cutting, or within 10 ft of the guy cutting. Now retired, but wear them as force of habit. Like they all say, it only takes a split/second. Don't know where my co. got them, but it would turn to shreds and stall the saw if a chain hit it!

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Another fan the Labonville chaps. I don't us the full wraps, there just too hot where I work. Good investment, order them.

MarkV

Tractor
    JD 4720

Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Driver View Post
    Don't stop at the chaps. Get helmet with screen guard, eye protection, LONG PANTS, hearing protection, Gloves, and steel toe boots.
    I'm not kidding. Gear up, it's worth it.
    X 2!!!

I like the chaps style, full wrap, 10 ply. Stihl makes good ones, Labonville Pro Chaps are also very good equipment.

Look at the video
    Chainsaw Leg Protection - YouTube
    You will see why you always wear safety equipment.

Cut Protection for Pro Saw Users
    JD 4720 - 400CX FEL, Woods BB-720 Brush Bull and BH90X backhoe, Salsco 6210XT PTO Chipper, Farmi 501 Logging Winch, Bo-Dozer Grapple, LP RBT4096, Cammond Road grader/leveler and Rankin Trash Forks

Tractor
    Kubota B2320

i thank you all for your responses... I think i will go with the lobonville. The husqvarna summer pants do catch my attention because they might cooler. However I think the wrap chaps will better protect me.

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Well it's pictures like this that make me want to learn from others mistakes
    -bad-leg-cut-jpg

rather than doing it myself.

I favor the full wrap Stihl, but they are warm at 90 degrees.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

Tractor
    Kioti DK45se HST - Rhino 660 4X4 - Snapper Pro ZTR - Craftsmen Chipper/Vac

+ 1 on all of the protective gear, not only for the chain saw, but also for weed wacking and using a pole saw. Even with safety glasses, I have been smacked in the face by stuff thrown up by the weed wacker and pole saw. Started using a helmet with face shield and it is much better.
    Doug P

Tractor
    L3240GST, B2320HST, B5100D & G5200H

Another satisfied Labonville green/full wrap user.
    Also, I highly recommend helmet/face screen/ear muff combo suggested by Cat_Driver & others.
    The helmet/face screen/ear muff combo is a face/eyeball saver when using the PTO chipper, too.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat T200

Many of us have electric chain saws in addition to the gas ones. I just bought a protective shirt from Stihl. Stihl says that neither the protective chaps nor shirt will protect against an electric saw. The torque of the motor is such that the fill will not jam the sprocket as with a gas saw.

I agree with everything written before. I want as much protection as possible. I would also recommend the Stihl safety video on YouTube. I watched it last Saturday night, and did some cutting the next day. I had learned everything in the video, but having it refreshed saved me. I was cutting a springpole which didn't look like it had much force to it. I made a number of relief cuts just to be safe. The through-cut flipped the saw back a bit, but nothing serious. Had I not made the relief cuts, that saw would have come back right in my face.

Tractor
    Kubota L3200

I have the Labonville full wraps, and they are great.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast