Chainsaw Chaps

/ Chainsaw Chaps #1  

displacedPA

Gold Member
Tractor
NH T2310
I have a question for the chain saw pros. Up until now i have not had chainsaw chaps. Dumb Idea I know. With our new woodstove and the ammount of wood i cut chaps are a must...

I have been looking at the Labonville chaps reg. or the full wrap one. does anyone have any input on these chaps or others? such as Husqvarna branded chaps.
I was also thinking about just using chain saw pants but I thought they would not offer as much protection.

Thanks

/ Chainsaw Chaps #2  
I purchased the husqvarna chaps from Lowes. They may not be the best, and I am only an occasional user, but they have already saved my left thigh from a substantial injury.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #3  
We bought ours from Stihl, so I don't know about other brands; saved my son from a bad injury and he has been using saws for a lot of years.

/ Chainsaw Chaps
Im very familar with saws myself but it only takes and instant... and with the wood production im starting up i dont want to risk it...
I had looked at the husky ones from lowes. I would assume something is beter than nothing.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #5  
I saw a guy put the saw into his leg hard and the chaps turned into spaghetti. The saw stalled almost instantly and he was unhurt. I hate to think what would have happened, had he not been wearing them. I do a lot of cutting(not a pro by any means) and since seeing that, I always wear them.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #6  
I have a pair of Labonville Chaps that have a UL listing for chainsaw protection. I guess the UL listing means they have been tested, but since I haven't had an accident can't say how they will do.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #7  
Think the chaps/pants come in different qualities. I prefer the pants. :)

Don't forget the Boots!:thumbsup:

/ Chainsaw Chaps #8  
I have the ten ply comprtition chaps from LaBonville. They are a little stiff, but the best protection offered. I like that the LaBonvilles are made right here in New Hampshire, not overseas somewhere. I do recommend full wrap no matter what.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #9  
I just picked up the green Labonville from Bailey's for the same reason you have considered. Been cutting without them long enough and sooner or later my luck is gonna run out. with 110 acres of woods and brush to clean up from recent logging, safety is now for me a higher priority. Also pick up a helmet, face shield, earmuff combo. Have already bumped my head on larger branches and had whipping saplings fling across my face when loading the chipper. With the helmet/face shield, no worse for the wear.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #10  
Labonville makes some excellent chaps. My brother-in-law bought some on my advice and loves them. He got the wrap chaps (he did not get the "competition" model - that's overkill for his needs, and too hot and stiff for extensive cutting in warmer weather)

I have the Husqvarna Pro Forest Wrap Chaps, and like them as well. If I remember, these have one more buckle on each leg than the Labonville chaps, but I don't think that makes much difference.

Both Chaps meet ASTM 1897, as well as OSHA and UL requirements.

The full wrap chaps are hotter to wear than the non-wrap ("apron") style, but they provide significantly better protection. The non-wrap chaps can have a tendency to spin around your leg when caught by a chain, exposing your lower leg.

I also have a pair of Husqvarna Pro Forest Summer pants. They have just as good protection as the wrap chaps, and meet the same ASTM/OSHA/UL requirements. I find these cooler to wear than putting my wrap chaps on over a pair of jeans, but the chaps can be taken on and off quicker, so you can cool down quicker when you are taking a break from cutting. Which to use is really a matter of personal preference

John Mc