Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good?

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #1  

Scooby074

Tractor
BX 25, ZD 326
Are the Timber Tuff sharpeners any good?

Sort of looks like the original Oregon 511A 4f86_1_739_1.JPG

And real close to the Carleton that used to be sold by Baleys 78004_XL.jpg

And the Northern Tool http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200327449_200327449

193020_lg.jpg

For comparison, here is the Timber tuff img3_cs-bwm.png

It sure looks better than the Harbour Freight all plastic model . Of course its not quite as nice as the top line models, but its currently on sale at Princess Auto for $129 ($60 off) Upright Bench Mount Electric Chainsaw Chain Sharpener | Princess Auto

Worth it?

Last edited:
   / Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #2  
I am just a homeowner that burns wood and I got one after using a $29 HF one for years. I like the Timber Tuff sharpener very much. It has plenty power, a work light and seems sturdy. I never used an Oregon sharpener, but at $100 +, you can't go wrong. I would buy one again.

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #3  
I can't tell if that is a plastic or metal body painted green. I am guessing it should work just as well as the others. Keep it clean from chainsaw dust and good wheels on it that should work great. I have the German built Maxx which does a pretty good job on all sorts of chains with the different angles.

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #4  
It is a green painted version of the Northern Tool grinder that has been so popular....... essentially a knock-off of the Oregon. I have the Northern Tool version and love it. For sure it would benefit from better quality wheels, but does work well as-is. Once you get beyond a saw or two.... you need your own grinder. My local shop was charging $13 per chain. It didn't take long for the grinder to pay for itself.

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #5  
I have the Harbour Freight sharpener and my friend has the Timbertuff he bought on sale at TSC Stores (for about $100 - cheaper than PA) The TT machine is much better than the HF machine and does a great job- The bigger wheel and metal pieces make for a better, more precise cut. Princess Auto also have a blue plastic machine that is similar to the HF machine in price and size. All of these machines beat the other methods if jigs etc I have tried but if I were making the decision today I would buy the TT machine -- JMHO

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #6  
You can save yourself money and time buy just using a dremel with the proper bit if/when needed. I have cut thousands of face cords of wood over the years and do most sharpening by hand (not a hard job) when something does go wrong (hidden rock, medal in a tree etc) I use the dremel to bring things back to where they need to be. Nothing against these sharpeners and it is just my opinion but they really are not needed especailly for the home owner or the smaller tree wackers.

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #7  
You can save yourself money and time buy just using a dremel with the proper bit if/when needed. I have cut thousands of face cords of wood over the years and do most sharpening by hand (not a hard job) when something does go wrong (hidden rock, medal in a tree etc) I use the dremel to bring things back to where they need to be. Nothing against these sharpeners and it is just my opinion but they really are not needed especailly for the home owner or the smaller tree wackers.

That is especially why these types are so nice for home owners. These sharpeners are solid and makes it hard to mess up a chain. If someone had an expert to show how to file one by hand or use a dremel type sharpener that may be the way to go, but the learning curve is very quick and foolproof on sharpeners like the Timber Tuff, which is painter metal,

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #8  
If someone had an expert to show how to file one by hand or use a dremel type sharpener that may be the way to go
Only if the expert continues to do it for you:D
I had an "expert" show me how to sharpen using the dremel, a Granberg jig and a straight handfile -- when I showed him the HF unit he thought it was the cats meow -- I can dig a trench with a shovel if I need to -- doesn't mean I won't use the FEL or a middle buster cause its easier, faster and more likely to be straight:eek:

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #9  
Deere Dude and Studer;

1st you don't have to be an expert, it takes a little practice to learn. Much like ridding a bike or driving a car, actually both of the last two mentions are easier.

2nd Only if the expert continues to do it for you really folks, if you can run the saw then there is NO reason you can't learn to use a dremel or a hand sharpener.
when I showed him the HF unit he thought it was the cats meow What was he an expert at :laughing:

I can dig a trench with a shovel if I need to -- doesn't mean I won't use the FEL or a middle buster cause its easier, faster and more likely to be straight Sorry to read you feel this way, I can out sharpen one of these units hands down and have a better result in the end. With this written if this toy is what you want then have fun, just wanted to write there are more way to skin a cat(so to say). Sharpening by hand is not hard and once it is learned it can come in very handy especially in the field(woods) which is where my wood is at:D. I allmost never use the dremel except when I've hit something, usually something buried in the tree, nail, arrow head, etc...

/ Timber Tuff chainsaw sharpener, Any good? #10  
Deere Dude and Studer;

1st you don't have to be an expert, it takes a little practice to learn. Much like ridding a bike or driving a car, actually both of the last two mentions are easier.

2nd Only if the expert continues to do it for you really folks, if you can run the saw then there is NO reason you can't learn to use a dremel or a hand sharpener.
when I showed him the HF unit he thought it was the cats meow What was he an expert at :laughing:

I can dig a trench with a shovel if I need to -- doesn't mean I won't use the FEL or a middle buster cause its easier, faster and more likely to be straight Sorry to read you feel this way, I can out sharpen one of these units hands down and have a better result in the end. With this written if this toy is what you want then have fun, just wanted to write there are more way to skin a cat(so to say). Sharpening by hand is not hard and once it is learned it can come in very handy especially in the field(woods) which is where my wood is at:D. I allmost never use the dremel except when I've hit something, usually something buried in the tree, nail, arrow head, etc...

I have no doubt sharpening by hand would be a handy skill to have. I only know one person, an acquaintance who I haven't seen in 10 years, that sharpens by hand but lives 30 miles away. I always wanted to know how to sharpen by hand and even have some files and a dremel motor and attachments. I possibly could learn how to do it that way and did try sharpening one from reading the directions but it seemed very difficult and confusing and just didn't work out. Although I am sure it's not that hard, if you know how to do it.

But, another friend had a cheapo HF sharpener and he showed me how to do it in 5 minutes. I bought a Timber Tuff and plowed right in and sharpened one in 20 minutes. What I do is have half a dozen chains and when they are bad, I sit down and sharpen them all in one crack while listening to some old country music. There are negative arguments that you have to take the chain off the saw to sharpen them, but that is not a big deal. It works for me. But sharpening by hand is a skill I would still like to have, but I need someone to take me by the hand and show me how.