Dolmar 5105

/ Dolmar 5105 #21  
I'm a Stihl man myself, but would love to get my hands on a Dolmar for a try.

If you ever plan on coming to my neck of the woods, you're welcome to stop by and give one a try:thumbsup:

/ Dolmar 5105 #22  
Im not going to say you are full or it, but that is certainly somehting I would have to see to believe. Especially a STOCK 7900 going through 20" SEASONED oak in 8 seconds.

Have to agree with LD1 here. I've been around a lot of saws, modded and stock and it ain't easy to get through 20" oak in 8 seconds. ;)

/ Dolmar 5105 #23  
I can't say enough about this little saw. What a bad *** ! I have a 16" bar and 3/8" chain. We cut 4 cottonwoods about 3' in diameter and a big oak about the same. The Dolmar was the one that cut them all down. All my buddies saws were too dull to get the job done so I handed them the Dolmar and set back with a few beers and enjoyed the show. Thats what I like about this saw. It's not well known around here and every time somebody tries it , I get to drink their beer! I feel good. Just doing my duty for the Dolmar guys.
I'm out, but I'll post some pics tomorrow.
The Dolmar is a good saw, but I've had similar results with the 346xp and a sharp chain. Not to take anything away from either saw, but the sharp chain is key. ;)

/ Dolmar 5105 #24  
Pit Man said:
I can't say enough about this little saw. What a bad *** ! I have a 16" bar and 3/8" chain. We cut 4 cottonwoods about 3' in diameter and a big oak about the same. The Dolmar was the one that cut them all down. All my buddies saws were too dull to get the job done so I handed them the Dolmar and set back with a few beers and enjoyed the show. Thats what I like about this saw. It's not well known around here and every time somebody tries it , I get to drink their beer! I feel good. Just doing my duty for the Dolmar guys.
I'm out, but I'll post some pics tomorrow.

I have heard good things about Dolmars but why didn't your buddies change or sharpen their chains if they were going to tackle 5 big trees? Or did they not have spare chains? Too many weekend warriors buy a saw and only have the chain that came on it which can get dull real quick they contact the ground or cut a lot of wood. It is real hard on a saw to cut with a dull chain., not to mention excess fuel usage, fatigue etc.

/ Dolmar 5105 #25  
The Dolmar is a good saw, but I've had similar results with the 346xp and a sharp chain. Not to take anything away from either saw, but the sharp chain is key. ;)
I am with Bluegill here. A sharp chain trumps all when it comes to getting the job done. Heck even a Poulan can outcut a big saw with a dull chain. Carry spare chains and a file. Why work yourself to death with a dull chainsaw?

/ Dolmar 5105
I agree with the sharp chains and I do have extras for both my Dolmar and Stihl. I've got a couple pictures here and I'm trying to figure out why my friends cut this tree this way.
trees 002.JPG
trees 003.JPG

/ Dolmar 5105 #27  
Doesn't look like a very good cut to me even if the tree were weighted to one side. They may have changed the cut after the tree was down because the face cut is half way into the tree. I don't see any holding hinge so it looks like there may have been a rope to pull it over after looking at both of the pictures.

/ Dolmar 5105 #28  
Yeah, that cut is wrong. I am surprised they didn't cut that off rather than leave it to embarrass themselves.