I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM!

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #41  
This is going to sound dumb, but what other way is there to start a chainsaw, other than 1) full choke, 2) pull until it fires, 3) half choke, 4) pull until it starts. That's how I've always done it, and it's kind of funny to me that there's an alternative.

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #42  
You can get lemons in any brand. I know, I bought a stihl ms 210 about 4 years ago and that thing was nothing but a piece of junk. The only time the saw ran like it was suppose to was the day I bought it. It stayed in the shop more than at home. Finally about 2 weeks ago, I had to take it back because it wouldn`t crank and the piston had cracked. The dealer made all kind of excusses, and then offered me 25 dollars for it. I said I would get more pleasure throwing it in the junk pile than having 25 dollars. I do have a 32 year old poulan that will crank better, run faster, and out cut that ms 210 ever would. The only problem is, can`t get parts for it any longer, because its so old. Right now, it stills runs great.

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #43  
With chainsaws and weed whackers I was told they you should always use the highest octane gas you can buy. The engines will run too hot with the lower octane gas when you push them for power.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #44  
With chainsaws and weed whackers I was told they you should always use the highest octane gas you can buy. The engines will run too hot with the lower octane gas when you push them for power.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Run what your owners manual say's to run. Echo uses 89 octane.

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #45  
joshuabardwell said:
This is going to sound dumb, but what other way is there to start a chainsaw, other than 1) full choke, 2) pull until it fires, 3) half choke, 4) pull until it starts. That's how I've always done it, and it's kind of funny to me that there's an alternative.

It seems intuitive to me as well so I never think much of it. However, many (most?) engines will actually start on full choke. If I recall (long ago) when I left a Stihl on full choke after the original sputter, it would flood. So once I learned how to start them I never really thought about it again.

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #46  
Dunno about the Pull-on, but with the Stihl, try this.

Set choke full on
Pull 2 to 3 times till you hear it fire once
Set choke to half and pull one or two more times till it starts

Don't know why, but every Stihl I've ever run starts that way.

These 2 have started this very way for many years. No probs here.
030209_006.jpg

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #47  
Read the docs from Stihl and you will see that they tell not to store the saw with gas in the carbeurator. The recommended procedure is to empty the tank then START THE SAW and let it run until it dies. If you do not do this, ESPECIALLY with ethanol gas, you are asking for the carbs to get varnished when the gas goes bad. At that point, a professional cleaning is likely and a complete parts replacement of the carb parts may be in order to get it back into proper running condition.

Higher octane gas doesn't do a thing for you. The octane is higher, so it should take longer before the gas deteriorates below the minimum required rating for the saw. BUT... "Super Unleaded" fuel sits in the tanks at the stations MUCH longer than 87, so it's shelf life is much shorter.

Use a quality fuel stabilizer for ethanol gas, a little SeaFoam now and again isn't going to hurt, and a quality 2 cycle oil. Drank the fuel reservoir on the saw and run it dry before putting it away.

For starting, the steps have been outlined numerous times: full choke pull until it fires once, half choke until it starts. When it's warm, simply throw it to the "on" position and pull. If it won't start in the "on" position, repeat the process.

The MS-290 is about the hardest starting saw they have because it's the biggest motor that doesn't use the decompression option. My 290 starts within three pulls EVERY TIME unless I somehow flood it. Even then, no more than six.

FWIW: It needs a legitimate pull. I use the "hold in right hand, grab pull cord handle in left, hold tight, and throw saw toward ground while pulling up on starter cord" method.

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #49  
I am guessing 250 and 290. Size wise that would make sense. Good looking woodpile and saws by the way, now you need to put the whole Famn Damily in front of it and take your Christmas pictures.

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #50  
I am guessing 250 and 290. Size wise that would make sense. Good looking woodpile and saws by the way, now you need to put the whole Famn Damily in front of it and take your Christmas pictures.

Could be... The oil reservoir cap is in a different position on the one in the back. Why doesn't the 290 have the Farm Boss bar on it? Is it a 20"?