before cold starting i spray a little fuel on the air filter ,set choke
works every time
saves a lot of pulling
2 --15 year old sthils

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #52  
WHATS YOU GAS MIXTURE STIHLS ARE 40/1 YOUR OLDER MACHINES ARE 32/1

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #53  
WHATS YOU GAS MIXTURE STIHLS ARE 40/1 YOUR OLDER MACHINES ARE 32/1

Actually Stihl is 50:1 when using their oil. I copied the text below from the faq's on their website:

"STIHL recommends a 50:1 mix when using STIHL branded two cycle mix oil (2.6 oz. of STIHL branded oil for 1 gallon of gasoline) on all of our gasoline powered equipment."

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #54  
i use the same method on my stihl as i do with my husqvarnia weed trimmer,choke it when it fires then take it off choke and they are running.there is a procedure you have to follow.

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #55  
choke it when it fires then take it off choke and they are running.there is a procedure you have to follow.

That's exactly what my Stihl dealer told me and it works for my trimmer and saw no issues, neither take more than three pulls.

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #56  
Run what your owners manual say's to run. Echo uses 89 octane.

I had a friend, many years ago, who was a pilot and decided to run 110 octane aviation gas in his chain saw mix. He said the saw ran fantastic like a bat out of "H" right before it blew up. (Don't know what brand it was)

One thing I have heard time and time again, from Stihl, Honda and other small engine dealers - stay away from gas with Ethanol - it eats the H out of fuel lines and causes all kinds of problems.

So, I buy my lawn tractor and saw mix gas at the one filling station with regular gas without 10% corn oil.

I use ONLY the little 1-mix Stihl 50:1 2-cycle oil and now buy the Stihl 50:1 synthetic oil.

I buy only the Bosch WSR-6F German spark plug for my Stihl units, even though NGK plugs are good plugs. Bosch plugs for my German saws, NGK plugs for my Kawasaki 17hp Japanese engne on the JD LX188, and Champion plugs for all my B & S powered amrerican-made equipment.

I would also like to add that not all "STIHL" dealers are equal. I get my saws 1-1/2 hours away where they have a Factory Trained Stihl mechanic - not just some little store where they are just parts changers. Look on their web site for dealers that show the "wrench" icon. Some of the dealers are not trained and experienced mechanics and just want to sell you a new saw.

The biggest problem is when I think that the Fall weather is going to hold out - it doesn't, and the saws and 2-cycle power tools sit with old gas in the carb too long (over 30 days). I will be out in the shed, today, starting each saw, dumping the fuel, and running each saw until it runs out of gas.

If you want a "better" Stihl saw, don't go any smaller than an MS-250 (025). We traded in my dad's dependable Stihl 025 for an "easy start" version as he is 86 now. They did not have an EZ start MS250, so they gave him $75 for the 025 for trade-in on a Stihl 021 EZ start. What a dissapointment! OK for trimming trees, but not for cutting oaks across the trails all day long. The following year, we kept for EZ start homeowner saw for him and we bought a Stihl MS-260 Pro with .325 20" bar.

I bought a Stihl MS-362 that I absolutely love. Cuts like a hot knife through butter with the 3/8 Rapid Super instead of the "safety chain". HOWEVER, the thing is sometimes real contankerous to start. I changed plugs, took it back in a few days and they found nothing wrong. However, they said there is not always that distinct "pop" like on the older saws when they are ready to have the chock set back to half. Then it "floods out". The problem seems to be a lot less now that the saw is broken in.

SC

JD 2305
JD LX188
JD BC1324 brush cutter
JD #15 garden cart
JD LX4 rotary PTO cutter
JD power washer
Stihl 026
Stihl KM 110 Kombi-Unit wth weed wacker, tree trimmer, KM-FS brush tool
Stihl BR-600 powered backpack blower
1980's Green Machine 3500 series Forestry model brush cutter, resurrected with a Shindiawa fuel tank and Stihl brush blade
Fimco 25 GL trailer sprayer with home-made modifications
Agri-Fab cart w Fimco 15 GL sprayer home grown "fire tool cart"

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #57  
I had a friend, many years ago, who was a pilot and decided to run 110 octane aviation gas in his chain saw mix. He said the saw ran fantastic like a bat out of "H" right before it blew up. (Don't know what brand it was)

One thing I have heard time and time again, from Stihl, Honda and other small engine dealers - stay away from gas with Ethanol - it eats the H out of fuel lines and causes all kinds of problems.

So, I buy my lawn tractor and saw mix gas at the one filling station with regular gas without 10% corn oil.

<snip>

I bought a Stihl MS-362 that I absolutely love. Cuts like a hot knife through butter with the 3/8 Rapid Super instead of the "safety chain". HOWEVER, the thing is sometimes real contankerous to start. I changed plugs, took it back in a few days and they found nothing wrong. However, they said there is not always that distinct "pop" like on the older saws when they are ready to have the chock set back to half. Then it "floods out". The problem seems to be a lot less now that the saw is broken in.

SC

"

I run 4 saws cutting 10 plus cords year sinch 1976. Never used anything but regular gas which is mixed with ethanol here. Nevery have had a rpoblem and the only precaution I take is to drain and run them dry before putting away for extended periods - usually once a year except for the 'using saw' which gets used around the property pretty much year round. Yes, I know that is against Stihl recommendations and contrary to other's experience but it is what it is.

Yes, the 36x series (I have the 361 bought back at the early years of the production) have that starting problem. Mine has no "pop", there is only a slight change in sound, it is more a 'feel' on that last pull. One pull past that on choke is almost gauranteed to flood it.

Harry K

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #58  
Dunno about the Pull-on, but with the Stihl, try this.

Set choke full on
Pull 2 to 3 times till you hear it fire once
Set choke to half and pull one or two more times till it starts

Don't know why, but every Stihl I've ever run starts that way.

Here that??? Echo!!!!! pull choke, 2 primes and pull. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrorrrrrrr.Starts every time.

My Stihl 361 starts exactly as described, every time, easy as that. My Echo trimmer on the other hand doesn't seem to have any pattern, rhythm nor reason or hope in H@%L of starting easily. I'm in no way religious, but I say a little prayer every time I walk up to it, usually followed by a bunch of other decidedly non religious things.

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #59  
If Honda ever makes a saw, it will be a single pull to start cutting wood.
And I'm not joking.
Why can't the existing manufacturers learn from this ?

Roger McGuigan

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #60  
If Honda ever makes a saw, it will be a single pull to start cutting wood.
And I'm not joking.
Why can't the existing manufacturers learn from this ?

Roger McGuigan

My Kawasaki string trimmer is almost that good. I wish my pro model Stihl saw started as easy as my bottom of the line Kawasaki trimmer.