I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM!

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #1  

Jim Miller

Bronze Member
Tractor
2019 Kubota M62 TLB, Bobcat T 650 Trac Steer
Nothing is so hard to start!! I've got a Stihl MS170 and a Poulan Wild Thing and both are hard starting. I've got 3 weedeaters (one is so old I don't know what brand it is) and 2 blowers (both Echo) and they all use the same gas and oil mixture. No matter how much I neglect all of the weedeaters or blowers - they start on the 2nd or 3rd pull and run fine. But my chainsaws are almost impossible to start!! I just wanted to rant! Now I feel better!

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #2  
Nothing is so hard to start!! I've got a Stihl MS170 and a Poulan Wild Thing and both are hard starting. I've got 3 weedeaters (one is so old I don't know what brand it is) and 2 blowers (both Echo) and they all use the same gas and oil mixture. No matter how much I neglect all of the weedeaters or blowers - they start on the 2nd or 3rd pull and run fine. But my chainsaws are almost impossible to start!! I just wanted to rant! Now I feel better!

I love my Stihls
You have to know the technique to start them is all, once you get that down you will love them as well

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #3  
Buy Echo and get rid of the junk.:shocked:

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #4  
Dunno about the Pull-on, but with the Stihl, try this.

Set choke full on
Pull 2 to 3 times till you hear it fire once
Set choke to half and pull one or two more times till it starts

Don't know why, but every Stihl I've ever run starts that way.

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #5  
Buy Echo and get rid of the junk.:shocked:
I love my echo weed wacker and always have, would never buy a Stihl, but NO ONE builds a better chain saw than Stihl

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #6  
I love my echo weed wacker and always have, would never buy a Stihl, but NO ONE builds a better chain saw than Stihl

Here that??? Echo!!!!! pull choke, 2 primes and pull. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrorrrrrrr.Starts every time.

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #7  
Sounds like a carb tune issue to me (assuming you are choking the saw intil initial fire as mentioned above).

Those are both low end homeowner saws. The poulan......I wont go their. But did the stihl dealer adjust the carb before you bought it? Or assuming it is new, did you have it re-adjusted after it was broke in??

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM! #9  
I disagree.

Disclaimer: THAT is your opinion, and this is mine:D

All I know is I have 2 - 29 year old Stihls, and 1-2 year old one, and the old ones will fire right up, and the new one is built as well as the old ones.

I know I would never buy another brand

/ I HATE CHAINSAWS! - HATE'EM!
I forgot to add that that I also have a Sthil HT 100 Pole Prunner and it starts fine just like the weedeaters and blowers. Someone commented that Stihl makes a great saw and I agree (after I get it started). Yes, I took the MS 170 into the Stihl dealer here in Kerrville and paid for them to do a complete tune-up. They said I had bad gas and a bad spark plug. They replaced the gas and plug. About 2 or 3 weeks later I tried to use the saw (with the dealer's gas) and I still had a tough time starting. Again, both of my saws run fine after starting and all of my other 2 cycle equipment start's and runs fine (using the same gas). Heck, I've even started using Seafoam to see if that helps. Nope!

I don't post very much on TBN - but - I read new posts almost daily and I really enjoy and respect you guys! I've learned a lot too. So, I felt like I could just share some frustrations!!!!!

Now - I feel better - again!