STIHL MS450 or Husky 445?

/ STIHL MS450 or Husky 445? #1  

tedf

STIHL MS250 or Husky 445?

My Dolmar PA-401 died last weekend. My father-in-law gave me this saw when we moved into our new home 2008. Good saw (~39cc 16 bar), always had issues with keeping the chain tension. I cut all the wood we can burn for the winter from the woods out back (~150 x 500). Just want something dependable. Looking at new STIHL MS250 C-BE $349, 18 bar or a Husky 445 refurbished $239 (new $309) 18巴ar. Both ~45cc. STIHL has the easy start and Quick chain adjuster (is this feature as good as it looks). Husky has the price and looks to be a good saw. Any thoughts, comments or recommendations?
Thanks,
Ted

Last edited:
   / STIHL MS450 or Husky 445? #2  
Unless you work on your own saws - what's the nearest best dealer?

I'd go with the Stihl but your 45HP is 10 times to much :)

My ported and muff modded 660's only push about 7+ HP.

/ STIHL MS450 or Husky 445? #3  
If you are physically able to start a standard saw, I would stay away from the" EZ start." Complicated to fix when it wears out. Same with the "quick tensioner."

/ STIHL MS450 or Husky 445?
Thanks, yes - ment 45CC! I will edit the post.

I try to work on my saw if I can. Same dealer is 1mile away.

/ STIHL MS450 or Husky 445? #5  
I assume you meant MS-250 in your title (there is no 450). Both the Stihl 250 and the Husky are homeowner saws, which should be OK for occasional use. I'd stay away from the Stihl C-BE model with the quick chain adjust -- they have had some issues (including melting).

Yes 450 is wrong. Should be MS250.

/ STIHL MS450 or Husky 445? #7  
The PS401 was NOT one of the better dolmars. Sorry that you had issues, but dolmar does make good saws.

If you have any dealers in your area, I'd suggest you check out the PS420/ps421 or the ps460.

As others mentioned, both the husky and stihl you mentioned are homeowner models. Neither of which I would pick if I was depending on it as my only means of firewood. Its good for ocassional homeowner type brush clearing.

Thanks for all your input. Went to the Dolmar dealer today and had them take a look at the PS-401 before I pulled the trigger on a new saw. They confirmed that it is dead and probably not worth fixing. Of course while I was there I took a look at their saws. They had a PS-420 ($300) and a PS-510 ($ 360) on the floor. The prices I listed were a lot lower than the sale price on the ticket. Both are nice saws but I went with the PS-510! Can’t wait to try out my new beast. The dolmar seems to be a much nicer saw than the other saws I was looking at and the price was great. Anyone have a PS-510?

/ STIHL MS450 or Husky 445? #9  
Yes I have a 510 in my stable. Very nice smooth well built saw. Pro build quality, much better than the Stihl and Husky models you mentioned. Now make no mistake that both Stihl and Husky make pro grade saws too, but nothing in the price range you paid for the 510. Learn how to tune it, use good fuel and oil, keep a sharp chain and keep the air filter clean and you will get many years of good service from that saw.

/ STIHL MS450 or Husky 445? #10  
You did good :thumbsup: