Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    LD1
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Default Re: Husqy 435 Cutting "on a curve"

I agree with those who say get a new chain.

A new chain shouldnt be mroe than $15. But if thhe chain you have is "managable", save it and use it next time you are cutting a stump. Once that is done, put your new chain back on.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Its the chain I can almost guarantee it you can flip the bar and prove if its the bar but I highly doubt its anything but a dull or incorrectly ground chain btdt. hth
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Elite Member

Flip the bar.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD2520

Quote Originally Posted by Willl View Post
    Flip the bar.
    You mean the brand new that I just installed and made one cut with? How would that help at all?

Banned
    Tractor
    L5450

I was going to say that the Husky was just trying to get away from the Stihl, so set the Stihl to the other side. Seriously, if t was anything besides the chain, I would be surprised.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD2520

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBuyer View Post
    I was going to say that the Husky was just trying to get away from the Stihl, so set the Stihl to the other side. Seriously, if t was anything besides the chain, I would be surprised.

Now, I need to actually find one. They're darn near impossible to find in stock around here, and trying to figure out which one to order is way more complicated than it should be.

Just for the sheer simplicity of it, I am seriously considering selling the Husqy outright and buying a new Stihl MS250 with an 18" bar. It's just a tad heavier than the Husqy but with way more power and uses the exact same chain and bar as the MS290. The 290 is heavier and more powerful for those long days of cutting, but the 250 would work just fine as a backup to it if I needed it. And, selling the Husqy would cover a good portion of the cost of a new Stihl.

Banned
    Tractor
    L5450

There are a lot of people that like the MS250 Stihl. My main saws are a 026 and MS441 Stihls, but I also have a Stihl MS192T that I bought for light limbing and to keep in the garage for branches and trees that fall down around the house, but it has made it into the back of my truck and I use it a surprising amount. It is listed as a pro saw, but it is really made of homeowner components. Had I known I would use that top handle configuration as much as I do, I would have bought the MS200T, but the little 192 works well.

Homeowner saws can be just fine for many people that use their saws on weekends or a few times a month. I am looking to upgrade my 026 to the MS261 but if I used that saw less, I would have no problem with the MS250. Someone told me once that Stihl had only really two grades of saws, professional and everything else. If that is true then a MS250 would be of the same quality as your 290.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD2520

There are a lot of people that like the MS250 Stihl. My main saws are a 026 and MS441 Stihls, but I also have a Stihl MS192T that I bought for light limbing and to keep in the garage for branches and trees that fall down around the house, but it has made it into the back of my truck and I use it a surprising amount. It is listed as a pro saw, but it is really made of homeowner components. Had I known I would use that top handle configuration as much as I do, I would have bought the MS200T, but the little 192 works well.

Homeowner saws can be just fine for many people that use their saws on weekends or a few times a month. I am looking to upgrade my 026 to the MS261 but if I used that saw less, I would have no problem with the MS250. Someone told me once that Stihl had only really two grades of saws, professional and everything else. If that is true then a MS250 would be of the same quality as your 290.
    Local dealer had initially recommend the 180 and 192 CE. I told him that I didn't want the "quick adjust" chain tensioner on the 180 and saw no reason to spend extra on the easy start system of the 192 when I can easily start my 290 without any "help". Also, the Easy Start system adds cost to some repairs... So, why have to learn how to start two saws in very different ways at more expense?

From there, the conversation went very quickly to the 250 as a great alternative. Very similar to the 290 in so many ways, including using the same .325 chains. He said that if I can start my 290 with no issues, the 250 would be a breeze.

Is the 251 the Wood Boss? If so, I was looking at that one too. Excellent looking piece of equipment, but overkill for my needs (heavy compared to the 250 and I want to be able to use it for limbing work).

Banned
    Tractor
    L5450

Quote Originally Posted by meburdick

Local dealer had initially recommend the 180 and 192 CE. I told him that I didn't want the "quick adjust" chain tensioner on the 180 and saw no reason to spend extra on the easy start system of the 192 when I can easily start my 290 without any "help". Also, the Easy Start system adds cost to some repairs... So, why have to learn how to start two saws in very different ways at more expense?

From there, the conversation went very quickly to the 250 as a great alternative. Very similar to the 290 in so many ways, including using the same .325 chains. He said that if I can start my 290 with no issues, the 250 would be a breeze.

Is the 251 the Wood Boss? If so, I was looking at that one too. Excellent looking piece of equipment, but overkill for my needs (heavy compared to the 250 and I want to be able to use it for limbing work).
    The MS271 (3.49hp) is the Wood Boss I would think that is too close to your MS290 (3.8hp). You want some difference between saws so you can use one or the other depending on the task, so If it were me I would choose the MS250 (3 HP). You are right about the difference from saw to saw in starting them or needing to shut them off in a hurry. It is nice to have the levers in the same spot. Having 10 tractors I often have to look down to see which one I am on before changing speeds and saws are kind of the same.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD2520

The MS271 (3.49hp) is the Wood Boss I would think that is too close to your MS290 (3.8hp). You want some difference between saws so you can use one or the other depending on the task, so If it were me I would choose the MS250 (3 HP). You are right about the difference from saw to saw in starting them or needing to shut them off in a hurry. It is nice to have the levers in the same spot. Having 10 tractors I often have to look down to see which one I am on before changing speeds and saws are kind of the same.
    Yes... 271 - that's the one I was thinking of. Too close to what I have (as is the 291). The 261 looks to be a very close cousin to my 290 but in the next grade up. My understanding is that the pro grade saws have some metal where the homeowner / farm saws are plastic (like the lower body housing) making them tougher. Also, there are one or two mechanical components that are a little stronger. Otherwise, very similar. Basically, the pro grade saws are built to be abused more.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast