Help with a stihl chainsaw

/ Help with a stihl chainsaw #1  

Birch Hill Farm

Bronze Member
Tractor
International 444
I have a Stihl MS210 chainsaw that is probably around 5 years old and is causing me problems. It will not stay running, If I follow the starting procedure and choke it with locked trigger, crank it a couple times and then switch it to half choke and crank it, it fires tight up and with in a second it dies. It will do this over and over always starting as long as its choked first then it dies with in a second. So far I have replaced the spark plug, air filter, fuel filter and gave it a tank of fresh gas as well as removing carburetor and cleaning what parts I could reach by removing the side covers of the carb. and it has made no difference. I thought I had solved it when I removed the little vent device at the end of the vent hose, which I assume is what regulates fuel flow by restricting vacuum on the gas tank, it will run and idle with this removed but, it boggs when you give it some throttle. So, I replaced the vent device with a new one and it still wont run. I am out of ideas short of throwing a $50 plus new carb on it, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
thanks-jon

/ Help with a stihl chainsaw #2  
When you replaced the spark plug, did you replace it with a stihl plug. I have heard, many times that it must be one for it to work correctly.

/ Help with a stihl chainsaw #3  
Did you actually rebuild the carb? That's probably the next thing to do, and then tune it afterwards. Most carb kits are $5-10.

Is it possible the saw sat with gas in it for a while?

/ Help with a stihl chainsaw #4  
When you replaced the spark plug, did you replace it with a stihl plug. I have heard, many times that it must be one for it to work correctly.

That shouldn't matter -- my Stihls all came with a Bosch plug, and they have NGK and Champion equivalents.

/ Help with a stihl chainsaw
Thanks for the replys! The new plug was a Bosch. I did not rebuild it just took apart the parts that had screws and blew out with carb cleaner. My old air filter had a broken tab on one side and had let a bit of saw dust past so, I though maybe the carb had gotten clogged. So, is a rebuild kit the next best step in this repair?

/ Help with a stihl chainsaw #6  
i would start with the fuel line and the fuel filter. i've replaced a bad fuel line a couple of times.

/ Help with a stihl chainsaw #7  
If the gas tank sat for some time with gas in it, I would take the carb apart and soak it in a carb cleaner solution you can get at an auto parts place. Not just spray with carb cleaner. The dip is about a gallon size container that I have used on many of carbs and have a lot better success than just spray. After it soaks for 20 mins or so then blow out and rinse with water and blow again. Put back in saw and see what happens.

How did the saw run the last time used?

Do you always use an air filter? Any chance of dust getting in saw and messing up cylinder?

Mike

/ Help with a stihl chainsaw #8  
Agree on replacing fuel line, check to see if it is squishy.

/ Help with a stihl chainsaw #9  

Mine came with a Bosch and it now has a Champion equivalent. It works just fine.

/ Help with a stihl chainsaw
The fuel filter is new, I will check on the fuel line condition. It is possible some dust got in around the filter due to a broken tab on one side of the filter. I also removed the fuel line from carb to see if fuel would flow out, nothing came out but, when I removed the little vent thing from the end of the fuel tank vent, gas came rushing out of the fuel line. This is another reason I replaced the part on the end of the fuel line but, it did not fix the problem.