Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #11  
We don't use common sense when shopping for a saw. :D

I'd only get a 357xp if it was around $200 less than the 562xp.

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #12  
You've ruled out stihl but what about dolmar??

Not sure how the canada to american dollar thingy works out, but for $815 I am sure you could get a dolmar PS7900 and have the best all around firewood saw IMO.

But if you are dead set on a husky, I'd go with the 562 of the ones you listed. Regardless of what others might think, SIZE DOES MATTER

The 7900 is a fine saw, but there is no way in **** I'd cut firewood all day with a saw of that size and weight. When I drop a oak in the woods here and wade into the mess of tangled limbs and vines, I want a light saw, with good balance, cutting speed and power. Yes, size does matter. ;)

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #13  
Good topic, let's talk about size and see exactly where it matters. People go to a larger chainsaw for basically two reasons: 1. Faster cut 2.Thicker wood . Size also matters in maneuverability and ease of handling. This is all not as objective as it sounds however as much has to do with the operator , operators budget, amount of wood to be cut each year and size of the wood. All of this needs to be taken into account before recommending "get the largest chainsaw" This decision lies in the realm of the operator and not necessarily how the rest of us use chainsaws and what our individual needs are as it relates to "production". Some people are perfectly content to buy a lighter saw that does everything they ask in the amount of time they desire to use. Others (such as myself) have been weaned on "production" and what others are perfectly happy with speed wise would make me nuts but I, in all fairness cannot recommend a saw that fits my needs. I try to take a middle of the road stance as having come from both a professional and homeowner scenario chainsaw user. Based on that, I like sizing a saw to its bar length. Very few homeowners need anything more than an 18" bar and for that, there are plenty of saws that would pull that size with alacrity. Heck, I cut wood professionally and 95% of the time I walked into the woods with nothing bigger than a 20" bar. The rest is all subjective and its like building performance engines "how fast do you want to go and how much money do you wanna spend and are you comfortable handling a 9 second car". As I do not know the physical prowess and stamina of the op, I stand by my recommendation of the 550 with 18" bar as a do all, catch just about everybody saw. As far as Dolmar is concerned. I think they are the biggest bang for the buck and would be my first recommendation but for one fact, they have the lousiest marketing and distribution presentation I have ever seen for such a high quality product. I know how difficult it is here to track them and cannot imagine what their spread is in Canada. My first idea would be the 5105 Dolmar (or whatever they're calling their 5000 series saw these days) as I think the 357 has gotten wildly expensive for what it is.
Arrow, very well said!

But I'd rather have a 346xp or 550xp over a 5105. ;)

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw
Dolmar is an interesting option, but absolutely NO dealers here, so its dead from the start.

Plus the 7900 isnt listed on the canadian website, there is a PS7910, but it tips the scales at 14.7 lbs :eek: DOLMAR - Chain saws gasoline

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #15  
As far as Dolmar is concerned. I think they are the biggest bang for the buck and would be my first recommendation but for one fact, they have the lousiest marketing and distribution presentation I have ever seen for such a high quality product.

AMEN to that. If smaller is what he wants, 5105 would be a good one. But since he is looking at an $800+ 562xp, IMO, the 7900 is more bang-for-buck. Cause the next step up from the 5105 is the 6400. And the 6400/7300/7900 are all identical in size and weight since they are built on the same platform. So....if one were even considering a 6400, right away I would reccomend making the jump to 7900. Kinda like with tractors. EX: L3200 vs L3800. SAME tractor, one just has more power.

The 7900 is a fine saw, but there is no way in **** I'd cut firewood all day with a saw of that size and weight. When I drop a oak in the woods here and wade into the mess of tangled limbs and vines, I want a light saw, with good balance, cutting speed and power. Yes, size does matter. ;)

Personal preference I guess. And it all depends on cutting style. No way in *** would I want to cut wood all day with a 50cc saw. But that is "my" preferance. The 7900 is isnt that much heavier than a 562xp or any other ~60cc class saw. But it DOES do ALOT more work in the same amount of given time. My preference for an "all day" saw is a 6400/7300/7900 platform with a 24" bar. Longer reach, faster cutting, and less bending over. But it certainly wouldnt be my choice if all I were doing were limbing/triming and cutting noting larger tha 8" stuff.
Arrow, very well said!

But I'd rather have a 346xp or 550xp over a 5105. ;)

Not me ;)

PS: I only reccomended the 7900 because the OP is looking at a 60cc+ saw. I he were looking at JUST the 346 and 550, I certainly wouldnt reccomend the 7900. But since he is ALSO lookning bigger, kinda incicates to me that he thinks he will be cutting some larger stuff and the added size/power would be of benefit. And the 7900 is about the biggest and best you can get without jumping up several more pounds and much larger frame.

The ultimate solution would be a 2 saw plan. IE: 7900 & 5105 or 346 & 372 or similar. I Understand budget plays a factor. But If I had to choose just ONE saw, it would be the larger. But thats me

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #16  
The ultimate solution would be a 2 saw plan. IE: 7900 & 5105 or 346 & 372 or similar. I Understand budget plays a factor. But If I had to choose just ONE saw, it would be the larger. But thats me

Right man, two saws is the best way, usually 50cc and 70cc... But there is room for a good 60cc, if it weights a good bit less. The 562xp is around 2 lbs lighter than a 372/7900 and will run very close to a 372xp and out cut a lot of 70cc saws of older design.

Personal preference I guess. And it all depends on cutting style. No way in *** would I want to cut wood all day with a 50cc saw. But that is "my" preferance.
I used to be the same way, but I must have got a little older.;) I do prefer to use a modified 50cc all day.:D

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #17  
A light weight bar makes a difference also. I got a 20" Tech-Lite bar with my 562xp and it feels like a different saw than one with a regular 20"... I could almost give up my 346xp for this combo. Almost...

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #19  
:laughing:

Back to the personal preference thing... :rolleyes:

For the record. A 562xp will smoke a 346xp, 357xp, or ms362 in the cut. Just sayin...

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #20  
Back to the personal preference thing... :rolleyes:

For the record. A 562xp will smoke a 346xp, 357xp, or ms362 in the cut. Just sayin...

I dont doubt that one bit. I would love to lay my hands on a 562, cause on paper they look like a beast.

But for me, cost is the big thing. When for the same money I could own a 7900. Sure its heavier, but it is also bigger and faster. So for me, its nothing against the 562, its a dollars and cents thing. I wish dolmar would come out with a ~60cc class saw on a lighter platform like the 5105. Something that can compete with the 562 and 361 that isnt built on the heavier 79cc platform.

And FWIW, the 60cc 116si is one of the most impressive 60cc saws IMO. (not counting the 68cc 120si cause its closer to 70). The 116 will still outcut "most" modern saws, and its 25 year old technology. Just saying...:laughing:

And for the record, I do like husky saws. I just like dolmar a bit better. But hey, at least we agree on tractor brands;)