Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #41  
squirrelley eh?

I ran 2 tanks though it this afternoon. very impressed with the weight and balance.. gobs of power. I bet its twice as fast as my old 51 in the same sized package. Really liking the 18" bar and wondering about a 20

However not all was perfect.

I found that it would bog on acceleration once and a while and the odd time when in a ~18" dried oak i could almost stall it out and I wasnt really pushing.

Is this squirely? The bog is a bit disappointing. Almost like a saw that needs the the L needle adjusted. I guess this must be due to the saw having to learn?

That 562 I ran acted like you describe above. I walked away from it totally disappointed after reading all the hype and good reports on the 562.

I still think I just got a brand new unbroken in demo saw that day.

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw
That 562 I ran acted like you describe above. I walked away from it totally disappointed after reading all the hype and good reports on the 562.

When its working right (99% of the time) it runs like a raped ape!! I can only imagine how it would be after a mild port...

I think once I get several more tanks through it, it should work better... It darn well better work better :)

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #44  
When its working right (99% of the time) it runs like a raped ape!! I can only imagine how it would be after a mild port...

I think once I get several more tanks through it, it should work better... It darn well better work better :)

I understand this saw establishes its own learning curve. I do not have the saw but on hearsay, there is supposed to be some information in the manual as to initial run-in procedure so the saw can adjust itself.

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #45  
Baffles me why people think they need 65cc saws and 20 inch bars to cut 10 cords of wood a year . We cut 150 cords of mostly white poplar then the rest oak,ash,maple every winter for firewood 9-30 inch trees . I have jonsered 2050 16 inch which is a "POS" that rides on the dozer for emergencies,JD 55EV that rides on skidder and Husky 55 18 inch that rides in the truck oiled gassed and sharp ready for anyone that wants to help or for me as backup but 99% of my work is done with a 5 odd year old STIHL MS 260 16 inch . I do have a 24 inch 066 stihl but i rareley use it but i have my felling tickets so occasionally get jobs and only keep it around for that reason but i dont chase that kind of work .
I agree on the lack of publicicity on the dolmars though . I spent the first 10 years on my cutting in the UK with big comercial hardwood logging gangs with obviously much larger saws and the few dolmars we had were in my opinion better than the huskys but ..try finding a dealer ? and to find parts took "searching"......shame !

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #46  
You are right, you dont "need" a 65cc+ saw to cut 10-20 cord a year. But it sure makes the cutting go faster.

You dont "need" an excavator to dig a basement, you could do it with a shovel if you want.

Fact is, You can put in fewer hours per cord cutting with a 7900 or 372xp or 460 than with a under 50cc saw. Thats my justification. But certainly not a "need" and never claimed it was a "need" either.

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #47  
Glad you like the 562, I have had mine for about a month or so and it has been great. Id go though the 51 and keep it as a spare saw.

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #48  

I have to agree with you, my buddies saw has 200+ tanks of fuel ran through it and it flat screams. I will get one soon. As far as it running aginst a 357, there is no comparision. That saw is basically all we used and my modded 346 will out cut them, the 562 walks away from them. CJ

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #49  
When comparing stihls to XP huskys i've always found the huskys to be fast cutting screaming demons but bog down if the RPM's drop . From experience softwood cutters love huskys but the oak boys always buy stihls for the torque . Much like the husky being a tuned V8 gas truck and the equivalent stihl being a cummins diesel .

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #50  
When comparing stihls to XP huskys i've always found the huskys to be fast cutting screaming demons but bog down if the RPM's drop . From experience softwood cutters love huskys but the oak boys always buy stihls for the torque . Much like the husky being a tuned V8 gas truck and the equivalent stihl being a cummins diesel .

XP Huskys are faster, smoother, lighter and smaller for their CC size, but like you said, they like the rpm up there.

That seems to be changing with the new 550xp and 562xp. Fast, strong and you can lean on them. :cool:

Works for me. :thumbsup: