Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #1  

Scooby074

Tractor
BX 25, ZD 326
I think its time to upgrade from my ~10 yr old Husky 51 to a new firewood saw.

I cut about 8-10 cord of mixed hardwood of various diameters. From 3" to 30". With most in the 8-20" range.

Im trying to decide between waiting another month for the 550xp (which is pretty much the same size as my 51 albeit an XP saw) for $699, Buying a 346xp for ~$750 or moving up to a larger saw a 562xp for $815.

So far Ive looked at the 346 and 562 and really like the feel and balance of both. But I figure for like $50 it might be worth it to go to the bigger 562.

Is it worth it to wait and see the 550?

Is the 562 a good firewood saw? Too large?

Anybody run all 3? Comparisons?

Im looking for a "do all" saw. Little more horsepower than what Im running and a longer bar to save a bit on stooping down so much.

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #2  
Jason, you can not go wrong with any of the three. But it is a general consensuses that a 60cc saw is the best one saw plan and is about perfect for a firewood saw.

I haven't run a 550xp yet, but the reports are very good so far. I have used a 346xp as my 'one saw' for 9 years, firewood (10-20 cords a year), logging and clearing. Most wood under 20", but some over. And it's still my favorite. I even bought an extra 346 when I heard it was being replaced.

After owning/using more saws, I'd have to pick the 346xp for a do all saw. I just like the smaller saw and my back is older than it used to be. ;)

That said, I love my 562xp and use it when the wood is over 18" or so.

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #3  
Jason, if I had to make a choice between the three saws , I'd go with the 562 xp. It's light and can pull a fairly decent sized bar if it needs to . Having said that ,you won't go wrong no matter which one you choose. I certainly don't envy you for the decision you have to make !

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw
Thanks so far guys...

Its a real tough decision.. all are great.. Its like choosing between the best of the best!! Not like any one of them is a dog and can be dropped off the list! About the only thing Ive done so far was rule Stihl out, just dont like the feel of the new Stihl saws.

Im still leaning strongly towards the 562 xp.

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #5  
The 562xp is really quite a saw, especially after break in. Great balance,easy starting and smoking fast. Very easy on the hands too. Just started to feel normal to me when after running out of fuel I picked up the Shindawia to finish up the last few sticks, it felt like it took twice as long to make a cut ! Good luck in your choice, I think you will be happy with any of the three.

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #6  
Two are better than one...

Get one now and the 'other' later. :cool:

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #7  
I think a 357 is your perfect saw. Buy it with a 16" and 20" bar and it will do all of what you ask. The 550 cuts comparably but I do not know how it would handle a 20" bar buried in oak. My 346 is definitely not as efficient in cutting thicker wood as my 357 but this is a moot point as the new 550 is more powerful than the 346.. The 562 will out cut both of course but it comes at a premium price point as it is the current cutting edge saw technology and for 8-10 cords per year it may be a little overkill.. If you could not get a new 357 that is hanging around for a good price, I'd stick with the 550 with an 18" bar as your "do it all" companion and I think you would be perfectly happy.

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #8  
Don't listen to Arrow ....... He's using that common sense thingy ! This is about chainsaws ,bigger is gooder ! :)

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #9  
You've ruled out stihl but what about dolmar??

Not sure how the canada to american dollar thingy works out, but for $815 I am sure you could get a dolmar PS7900 and have the best all around firewood saw IMO.

But if you are dead set on a husky, I'd go with the 562 of the ones you listed. Regardless of what others might think, SIZE DOES MATTER

/ Choosing between 550xp, 346xp and 562xp for a firewood saw #10  
You've ruled out stihl but what about dolmar??

Not sure how the canada to american dollar thingy works out, but for $815 I am sure you could get a dolmar PS7900 and have the best all around firewood saw IMO.

But if you are dead set on a husky, I'd go with the 562 of the ones you listed. Regardless of what others might think, SIZE DOES MATTER

Good topic, let's talk about size and see exactly where it matters. People go to a larger chainsaw for basically two reasons: 1. Faster cut 2.Thicker wood . Size also matters in maneuverability and ease of handling. This is all not as objective as it sounds however as much has to do with the operator , operators budget, amount of wood to be cut each year and size of the wood. All of this needs to be taken into account before recommending "get the largest chainsaw" This decision lies in the realm of the operator and not necessarily how the rest of us use chainsaws and what our individual needs are as it relates to "production". Some people are perfectly content to buy a lighter saw that does everything they ask in the amount of time they desire to use. Others (such as myself) have been weaned on "production" and what others are perfectly happy with speed wise would make me nuts but I, in all fairness cannot recommend a saw that fits my needs. I try to take a middle of the road stance as having come from both a professional and homeowner scenario chainsaw user. Based on that, I like sizing a saw to its bar length. Very few homeowners need anything more than an 18" bar and for that, there are plenty of saws that would pull that size with alacrity. Heck, I cut wood professionally and 95% of the time I walked into the woods with nothing bigger than a 20" bar. The rest is all subjective and its like building performance engines "how fast do you want to go and how much money do you wanna spend and are you comfortable handling a 9 second car". As I do not know the physical prowess and stamina of the op, I stand by my recommendation of the 550 with 18" bar as a do all, catch just about everybody saw. As far as Dolmar is concerned. I think they are the biggest bang for the buck and would be my first recommendation but for one fact, they have the lousiest marketing and distribution presentation I have ever seen for such a high quality product. I know how difficult it is here to track them and cannot imagine what their spread is in Canada. My first idea would be the 5105 Dolmar (or whatever they're calling their 5000 series saw these days) as I think the 357 has gotten wildly expensive for what it is.