Stihl Hasn't Been Used for Years - What to Do Before Starting?

/ Stihl Hasn't Been Used for Years - What to Do Before Starting? #1  

OrangeAgain

Silver Member
Tractor
2015 Kioti RX7320PC, 1983 Kubota L275 4WD, 1981 John Deere 2440 2WD row crop tractor
I've got a Stihl 21" chainsaw that hasn't been used for years and I don't remember whether I "winterized" it the last time I used it.

I am concerned I might damage something inside the cylinder if I just try to start it after oiling the chain.

Recommendations on what I need to do or have done will be appreciated.

/ Stihl Hasn't Been Used for Years - What to Do Before Starting? #2  
I have a Stihl .028 wood boss that sat for years. I just cleaned the air filter, cleaned the spark plug fueled it and it fired up on about the 4th pull. Still runs great although I don't use it much.

/ Stihl Hasn't Been Used for Years - What to Do Before Starting? #3  
You can put a little mixed gas in a squirt bottle and give it a few shots into the plug hole. This will ease starting for sure.

/ Stihl Hasn't Been Used for Years - What to Do Before Starting? #5  
In addition to what the other members suggested, I would replace the fuel lines. The cost is minimal.

/ Stihl Hasn't Been Used for Years - What to Do Before Starting? #6  
Heres a list of what I would do.

1. Drain all old gas and replace with fresh new mix.
2. Take carb appart and clean gunk,varnish out and make sure jets arent plugged up.
3. Take spark plug out and clean with a little sandpaper
4. put a few drops of 10w oil or 2-stroke oil in the cylinder and give a couple of easy pulls to lube everything
5. replace sparkplug and try to start. But keep in mind it will take a few extra pulls to fill the carb back up with the fuel you drained when you cleaned it.

/ Stihl Hasn't Been Used for Years - What to Do Before Starting? #7  
Heres a list of what I would do.

1. Drain all old gas and replace with fresh new mix.
2. Take carb appart and clean gunk,varnish out and make sure jets arent plugged up.
3. Take spark plug out and clean with a little sandpaper
4. put a few drops of 10w oil or 2-stroke oil in the cylinder and give a couple of easy pulls to lube everything
5. replace sparkplug and try to start. But keep in mind it will take a few extra pulls to fill the carb back up with the fuel you drained when you cleaned it.

+1 done this with other motors as well

/ Stihl Hasn't Been Used for Years - What to Do Before Starting? #8  
Just use it! - I had a carb problem with my husky 1984 266se. -wanted to stall- I used it on high throttle and after 20 min- no more problem. Runs great, cuts great.

/ Stihl Hasn't Been Used for Years - What to Do Before Starting? #9  
I don't know if cleaning the carb is necessary. I would just pull the plug out, put a little oil in the plug hole and pull the cord without the plug installed to lub things up. Try starting. Clean the carb and plug if its hard starting. One thing that had been recommended to me years ago when I started the seadoo in the spring was to use the old plugs in case you fouled them up, replace them after its running fine. Sounds dumb I know but it keeps the new plugs new.:confused3:
Good Luck!!

/ Stihl Hasn't Been Used for Years - What to Do Before Starting? #10  
I just started some saws that hadnt been used in years too (5-7 I was told). Some had old mix. Dumped. Some needed fuel line some didnt. Replaced what was needed. Checked plugs and put back in. Didnt need cleaned. All air filters needed cleaned and some needed replaced.
Most needed carb adjustments but didnt need to pull apart any carbs. Could see needing some carb kits possibly down the road but not right now.

5 of them were dropped off that day.