Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe

Default Re: Stihl MS290 using up bar oil - but no oil going to bar

I just replaced an oil pump on a 6 yo MS290 a couple of weeks ago. It was
    ruined by the former owner who pressure-washed the saw. (Don't do that!)

This is a common worm-drive oiler, which I always run at max setting. Does
    not put out a lot of oil, as stated. What puzzles me is where would the lost
    oil go? There are no soft rubber lines to break.

To get to the pump, just remove the clutch.
    See my TBN projects at:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/resyfcgt/

Tractor
    Kubota 3940 hydrostat, john deere 310 J, case 580 M, cat D5G, cat 320 CL

Ok well I had the same problem. My oil was coming out right beside my muffler. Well anyway the oil pump actually works off your chain sprocket by whats called a worm gear. Now if that hole beside the muffler is not PLUGGED IT SHOULD BE. I used a piece of metal from a old fuel shut off solenoid I had for a Cat D5G bulldozer. It was tapered and I cut it the lenght i wanted. I tapped it in with a pair of needle nose pliers and a welding chipping hammer because I didnt want to hit it to hard and crack the housing so be careful! well first off remove your bar and chain cover and your bar and chain. next right above the sTuds that hold the bar and chain over on is a plastic/teflon slide for the chain. Remove it with a screw driver with just by prying it up from underneath it. Then tight above your chain sprocket you see a seperate like metal metallic section has two screws holding it in? Remove it and tou see a big spring which works your baR lock. The spring may but shouldnt pop up. Next remove the C clip that holds your sprocket on. Thenremove the little spacer/washer between the C clip and chain sprocket.now pick up your chain sprocket and look at it. go around it and you will see a noTch in it. I took a black magic marker and put a mark on the side and top so its easy to see installing.the little u shaped notch in that sprocket gear is what actually turns the oil pump. seT it to the side geT You a 3/4 socket and remove the clutch it has a big nut in the middle. now iT is a left handed thread meaning you go right to loosen Go left to tighten it its backwards. remove the little spacer/washer and you will see it says TOP on it. RemoVe your worm gear. you will see a plastic piece with a metal clip on it and the clip extends out past your clutch or it should. now That long clip thaT extends out past your clutch is what the u shape in your chain sprocket siTs on to turn Your oil pump. just pull out on that worm gear or screw IT ouT.now YOu will see Two torx screws holdinG the oil pump on. remove them. now slip The tan color line off as you pull the oil pump back Towards The handle end. once iT pops oUT take some needle nose pliers and unhook the black hose. now Take your worm gear and put in it and see if you see the metal gear on your oil pump spinning if so iTs good if noT iTs locked up and YOu need a new oil pump. i replaced my worm Gear anyway luckilY i did THe metal clip on it was wore OUT where mY sprockeT turns it. now on the bottom of the oil pump you see a flat head screw? that adjusts your oil flow also.i sprayed mine off wiTH sTarTer fluid to clean mY oil pump off good. then i wd 40 my gear. then just put it back together like you took it apart and shes good to go. if you want pictures of what i did email me @ jshan8205@gmail.com and put ms290 in the subject and ill send you some as soon as i can. once you put it back together flip your saw over and in your handl,e you will see an opening and thats where you adjusts your oiler. i hope this helps You or someone else and good luck with it man The ms290 is a Great saw and easy to rebuild too. i rebuilt mine for a 100 dollars off ebay new piston and jug. good luck to you man!

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

"Wow...great first post...
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by texasjohn View Post
    "Wow...great first post...
    If you were speaking to me I appologize! I was just trying to help someone out. It was lengthy and I was half a sleep when I typed it up. Thanks for welcoming me too! If you were speaking to me.

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

Yep, speaking to Jshan82, no need to apologize. I just happened to notice it was your first post, and thought it was well organized, informative and worthy of complimenting. That's what we do, help folks out, and you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshan82 View Post
    If you were speaking to me I appologize! I was just trying to help someone out. It was lengthy and I was half a sleep when I typed it up. Thanks for welcoming me too! If you were speaking to me.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Tractor
    Mahindra 3510 w/FEL

Quote Originally Posted by texasjohn View Post
    I just happened to notice it was your first post, and thought it was well organized, informative and worthy of complimenting.
    +1

Now I hope we hear from jim_wilson to see what his prollem was...

- djb
    The best things in life aren't things.

2003 Mahindra 3510 with front end loader
    2010 Dixie Chopper 2550 ZTM: 25 hp Kohler, 50" cut

Tractor

Lol I mean I pretty much covered it step by step im young but man im packed full of knowledge. My dad was an awesome diesel mechanic he worked on big rigs and heavy equipment as well. I work on heavy equipment myself I just fixed my oiling problem on my ms 290 yesterday. Its simple . Like geico so easy a caveman can do it lol I hope I helped the guy some. The black hose on the bottom of the oil pump is rubber and may be rotted also you have a screen in the hose in the oil tank just like you do for fuel.

Tractor
    kubotabx2360

Quote Originally Posted by dfkrug View Post

What would be the average oil consumption per tank of gasoline? On my old 031 the dealer told me one fill of bar oil for 1 fill of gas. Is this still true for the 290?

Tractor
    kubotabx2360

Quote Originally Posted by dfkrug View Post

What would be the average oil consumption per tank of gasoline? On my old 031 the dealer told me one fill of bar oil for 1 fill of gas. Is this still true for the 290?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK45S

I was told by a dealer several years ago, when I inquired about the bar oil use on my 029, that if it was run continuous it should use 60 percent of the tank capacity.
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, Beecher City, IL
    Briggs and Stratton MST (Master Service Technician)
    ILENGINE over at Lawnmowerforum

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast