Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H

Default DEAD Stihl 056

Loved my Stihl 056 when it was working-- great running saw. But some time ago the ignition module crapped out and it now won't start. From what I've read, not highly unusual for that particular model.

It is an old saw of course, but generally in very good condition. If I could even get the module, it seems to be + $200. I hate to just junk it but unless I can come up with a used module and have it installed, that seems to be the only option at this point.

Anyone out there have a use for an 056 with a non-functioning ignition module-- for parts perhaps?

Tractor
    all makes and models

Default Re: DEAD Stihl 056

I liked mine as well, it was the first big power saw that I owned. Everyone said to buy small saws so you don't get tired as easily and I just wanted to fill my trailer. It cut my time cutting a trailer full by about four hours! We do have one in stock if you need it! You don't get to much for that kind of money. If the saw is in good condition otherwise you might want to fix it!

Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

I had a 045AV and it was bad about backing the screws out of the ignition module and chewing the module into bits. Replaced it 2 times before selling it. I have not owned that cut as good as that saw would.
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

My guess is that any saw of about that vintage the modules are about the same. If you shop ebay doing a search for Stihl ignition modules to see if they look about the same you might find one. I had an 056 and it was a fun saw to run
    1st Peter 1:6-9

Tractor
    Deere 955 / NH 2120

Stihl used 2 different ignition modules on the 056, Bosch and SEM. The Bosch is the one that craps out....I don't think the SEM is a bolt in swap. Husky also used the Bosch ignition on 1 or 2 saws.

Ed

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

Ed L do you know if those modules were used on other models then? 050AV or something similar? I looked at Ebay last night and saw lots of modules for various sizes of the Stihls. I was thinking if he saw one about the same shape it could be adapted in.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H

A few months back I found a local dealer who also had an old Stihl 056 that didn't run. He offered to swap out the module from his to get mine going. But in the end, he said the modules were not compatible.

The shop it's at now has it stripped down and said that even if I were to spend the $$$ for the part (and they could find it) that it was pretty labor intensive to change. I had them just leave it apart and put everything in a box until I decide what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Treemonkey1000 View Post
    Ed L do you know if those modules were used on other models then? 050AV or something similar? I looked at Ebay last night and saw lots of modules for various sizes of the Stihls. I was thinking if he saw one about the same shape it could be adapted in.

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

jymbee it sounds like what Ed L mentioned the Bosch verses the SEM module. Hang onto your saw I think if you keep putting it out there or go onto Arborsist.com and put a query on there. Labor intensive would be popping the flywheel if they haven't already. Sounds like a nice rainy day project to me. I still think a similar module would work. Others may pipe in and correct the errors of my logic.. No I don's speak Klingon.....

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Second that!

Quote Originally Posted by Treemonkey1000 View Post
    go onto Arborsist.com and put a query on there. .
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Tractor
    Kubota L3830 HST

From what I understand the 056 AV an 056 Supers had the Bosch system and the 056 MagII had SEM. I think that the SEM system can be used but it requires changing flywheels as well. I have read this on arborist site posted by some who have done it. The SEM system can still be purchase as I was used in cut off saws after the 056 went out of production. I have a 056 MagII, they are fun to run and have a big following in chainsaw nut land

Steve
    Stihlman

Kubota L3830 HST with LA723 loader
    ZD326P

Stihl Chainsaws:
    MS660
    056 Mag II
    MS441R M-Tronic
    MS362R
    MS361
    MS261
    MS260