Stihl - wet plug

/ Stihl - wet plug #1  

retiredmgn

Platinum Member
I couldn't get my Stihl Farm Boss started. Brought it to the dealer and $40 later I was told all fixed.
Saw does run but will not re-start. If I pull the plug and take a lighter to it I can get it going. This is getting old fast. Anyone run into this ???

/ Stihl - wet plug #2  
What did they do for $40 that supposidly fixed it??

It sounds like its flooding. But now you have to figure why??

Is the plug old? (getting weak) causing it to flood. Maybe try a new plug?

Could be improper starting method?? Could you describe exactally what you are doing when trying to restart?

Could be a coil getting weak?

Could be loosing/low compression saw making starting hard? How old is the saw?

Could just be the carb isnt adjusted right? or even the float is sticking?

Give us some more detail and maybe we can get to the bottom of the issue.

/ Stihl - wet plug
What did they do for $40 that supposidly fixed it??

It sounds like its flooding. But now you have to figure why??

Is the plug old? (getting weak) causing it to flood. Maybe try a new plug?

Could be improper starting method?? Could you describe exactally what you are doing when trying to restart?

Could be a coil getting weak?

Could be loosing/low compression saw making starting hard? How old is the saw?

Could just be the carb isnt adjusted right? or even the float is sticking?

Give us some more detail and maybe we can get to the bottom of the issue.

They said the steel coil that surrounds the tip of the spark plug had become disconnected from the ignition wire. Replaced plug, said it was wet.
It has always required 6 or so pulls to start but always started.
Saw is maybe 10 years old.
How does one check a coil on a chainsaw?

/ Stihl - wet plug #4  
Make sure you are using the proper start procedure. The 290 will flood in a heartbeat if you're not careful.

/ Stihl - wet plug
Make sure you are using the proper start procedure. The 290 will flood in a heartbeat if you're not careful.

Thanks. So noted.
Hasn't been an issue in the past but carbs do get old.

/ Stihl - wet plug #6  
With a new plug, test for spark. There should be NO orange at all. Should be blue and crisp.

/ Stihl - wet plug #7  
:cool:Way to check for spark is have the dorky neighbor or Ex mother in law hold onto plug wire and give it a few yanks.. Depending on how loud they scream or how far they jump will be a good indication.. The above questions from LD1 are the right track. Sounds more like flooding from carb maybe. You could try starting it in half choke postion after it has sat for a bit to dry out the plug. Does that have compression release on it? How clean is your air filter? You could try starting it without the air filter and see if it makes much difference.

/ Stihl - wet plug #8  
I just got a saw in with same issues and it just come from a dolmar echo dealer that supposedly fixed it, NOT. Guy says he has to change to a fresh dry plug to start each time. I shall see whats up this evening.

/ Stihl - wet plug #9  
How does one check a coil on a chainsaw?

A quick test with the multimeter see if you get continuity between the low tension terminal
(which is used to switch off the engine) and earth, if you do, renew it.

/ Stihl - wet plug #10  
That didnt take long. Could start and it would shut right back off. Then pull over no start Hmmmm. Put spark tester on and it seemed ok but not like I was used to seeing from tester. So I looked at flywheel magnets and you could see where they had made contact with coil in past. So off comes the recoil and cleaned coil up first. Coil was loose IMO and I loosened little more and set gap being it was to tight from the get go IMO. Carb settings were not to my liking, so re did them to my likings. Set spark plug gap to 20 from 25.

Seen only 1 line out of the 3 had been replaced by the dealer. Some really flexible grey line was used for fuel line. NOTE they used wrong size fuel line and the oem fuel filter would just rotate loosely in the fuel line not making a seal, even falling out when I was looking at it outside the tank ::).
So I just used a mini tie strap to tighten around the line to keep the filter snug and tight. I know this works because I used to do this when running the big fuel lines on alky saws and tie strap filter to end. ;)

Right now all is fine and she runs and starts perfect and idles all day I bet.

Now to talk to him about this pos dull chain he said he takes care of himself. :eek: :eek: :eek: