Got a new XP346 today

/ Got a new XP346 today #1  

Tollster

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, BX23
Having run my Husky 51 since 93, figured it was time for some new technology. Sure I could have went bigger, but instead choose the saw for the job I have on my 13 acres. The XP362 looks nice, but the weight outweigh the price and size.
I will fall back on the 51 for the averge land owner and hope this one last just as long.
Bigger is not always better.

346xp.jpg

/ Got a new XP346 today #2  
Congrats, nice looking saw! How big of a bar does this model have?

/ Got a new XP346 today
Pretty sure its a 18" bar, .325 pitch though.
They had the .325 on my 51 when i went tolook at it, I asked the dealer to drop the bar size by 4" and install a 3/8" chain for free in exchange for the new saw parts, which he did.
I love the 51 and its been the only saw I ever had for close to 20 years now, I just wanted somthing that came on the pipe a little quicker and a bit more nimble for me aging bones.

This one has a magniesum frame,decompression, primer bulb, adjustable oiler, quick adjust chain, quick access air box and filter and a few other goodies that make it what I hope will be a good saw.

Last edited:
   / Got a new XP346 today
Nice upgrade. I just upgraded from a 51 myself, but went with the new 562xp. Couldnt be happier. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/chainsaws/258151-choosing-between-550xp-346xp-562xp.html

Enjoy the 346. The XP saws are real, real good, and a noticeable improvement from the consumer line.

Ya had to bring that one up....let me enjoy what I have without second thoughts, will ya...LMAO
Thats an awsome saw and don't think you'll find one finer. Thats would have been the one I would have gotten if I had a need for that size saw, I am mostly clearing pinesand burning them off after limbing them. I love the technolgy in that model,and I think it will be a new leader in the line.

/ Got a new XP346 today #6  
Ya had to bring that one up....let me enjoy what I have without second thoughts, will ya...LMAO
Thats an awsome saw and don't think you'll find one finer. Thats would have been the one I would have gotten if I had a need for that size saw, I am mostly clearing pinesand burning them off after limbing them. I love the technolgy in that model,and I think it will be a new leader in the line.

Yeah.. had to bring it up;)

The 346 is a VERY well respected saw though. No shame for old school technology either.

/ Got a new XP346 today #7  
Great saw!

I've had one since early 2001 and have a 2010 model too. Love em!

/ Got a new XP346 today #8  
I still have my '95 model 51. Runs good I use it for making kindling and limbing.

I bought a 357XP a few years ago...good saw.

/ Got a new XP346 today
I have to admit,I love the XP562, but it was more saw than I need. With that said,I have decided to swap the 346 for the 550XP.The dealer is good with it,I just hope the new chains I pruchased at the Stihl dealer are interchangable. Went with the full chisel,and I like the stihl chains better.
He should have the new one next week at renco in Bloomsburg. The only issue I really have is they do not have any software to interface with the 500 series saws. He checked to verify the units are ready to be run outa the box, and the calibration time is 5 minutes on the intitial start up. Its a gamble, but the 550 has some nice features for an extra 80.00. I like the xtourque, and its a full pund lighter which can add upover the day. I have also developed arthisis in my hands this year...(Ma always told me I would pay for being such a hellion when i was young, recon she was right)
I hope it was a good move, any feedback on the chains would be helpfull...I got 3 of them. Went with the same length bar as the 346...18"

/ Got a new XP346 today #10  
Better make sure your dealer updates software on the 550 from the get go. ;)

I love the feel of the 550 and the nimble handling, but I also love the motor and carb on the 346 without needing computers attention. :drink:

Actual weights 550 11.2lbs pho, 346 11.4lbs pho. Husky specs lied to you and all of us. The 550 is listed at 10.8 and the OE 45cc was listed at 10.6, only the NE 346 50cc was close to its real weight.