Tree Felling danger

/ Tree Felling danger #1  

retiredmgn

Platinum Member
DSCN0403.jpgDSCN0404.jpgDSCN0406.jpgSo I was going about my usual logging. I was cutting an ash bout 18" at the butt. The tree was leaner so I was confident of direction of fall. Before I finished the cut the tree "BLEW UP". Never seen anything like it. Once my razor sharp reflexes kicked in I fell backwards and planted my face in the ground. :rolleyes:
There are several scenarios for 'widow makers'. Add one to the list.

/ Tree Felling danger #2  
That's something. It doesn't look like it was rotten in the middle or anything. Looks like it just split down the middle. Not sure how you could possibly have seen that coming. Yet another reason why leaners are dangerous. I wonder what a professional arborist or logger would/could have done differently.

Glad you didn't get hurt.

PS: I'm assuming you're not a pro, but if I'm wrong, I apologize, and I'd love to hear more from you on the topic. I drop a tree or two every now and then, but only the "easy" ones and I'm always interested in learning more about safety.

/ Tree Felling danger #4  
Always remember on leaners ( widow makers ) there is abundant stored energy in the leaning tree and the ones it is leaning against....hard to know what the reaction to making the cut will be....very scary situations...Think of huge rubber bands pulled tight and then you cut into the main one....Yikes ! Glad you are OK...

/ Tree Felling danger #5  
That's what is called a 'barber-chair'. Certain species of tree with specific grain structures are especially prone to this, ash being one of them. Leaners are even more prone to this, because of the extra stress on the holding wood during the backcut.

See this thread for a good explanation and some tips: http://www.arboristsite.com/tree-care-videos/177328.htm

/ Tree Felling danger #6  
With a lean you need to make your face cut then plunge through to make your hinge (being careful of kickback and not leaving your hinge too thin) then cut from hinge to the back instead of from the back in.
You can also chain the tree above your cut to help prevent it from splitting out.

/ Tree Felling danger #7  
+1 on chaining or strapping above the cut. Look closely at the trunk for any sign of cracks or rot when working on something with a lean in it. Thank God you didn't catch that in the face. We would be reading your obituary instead.

/ Tree Felling danger
That's something. It doesn't look like it was rotten in the middle or anything. Looks like it just split down the middle. Not sure how you could possibly have seen that coming. Yet another reason why leaners are dangerous. I wonder what a professional arborist or logger would/could have done differently.

Glad you didn't get hurt.

PS: I'm assuming you're not a pro, but if I'm wrong, I apologize, and I'd love to hear more from you on the topic. I drop a tree or two every now and then, but only the "easy" ones and I'm always interested in learning more about safety.

No rot. Sound wood. Will burn well.
No, I'm not a pro. I put up 6 cords a year for the following year.
A pro would probably have seen such a thing before and put on his spikes and started from the top down. Or find someone else to do it. ;)

/ Tree Felling danger
Always remember on leaners ( widow makers ) there is abundant stored energy in the leaning tree and the ones it is leaning against....hard to know what the reaction to making the cut will be....very scary situations...Think of huge rubber bands pulled tight and then you cut into the main one....Yikes ! Glad you are OK...

Bob, the tree was a 'natural' leaner. It wasn't hung up on any thing. This was the initial cut. I've been known to leave cut leaners alone and let the next big wind bring them down for me. If it falls in the night I really don't care if anyone heard it. Sucker is down and I'm safe.

/ Tree Felling danger #10  
Not a lot of climbers will opt to go up a leaner if he has the option to cut it from the ground. At least I don't if there is a safe place to land it.