Tree Felling danger

/ Tree Felling danger
That's what is called a 'barber-chair'. Certain species of tree with specific grain structures are especially prone to this, ash being one of them. Leaners are even more prone to this, because of the extra stress on the holding wood during the backcut.

See this thread for a good explanation and some tips: http://www.arboristsite.com/tree-care-videos/177328.htm

Good vid. Exactly what happened. And I did hesitate on the back cut. It's a habit of mine. I pay alot of attention to the hinge to angle the fall to where I want it. It was when I took a moment to double check my final situation before sawing through. The decision was made for me.

/ Tree Felling danger #12  
Bob, the tree was a 'natural' leaner. It wasn't hung up on any thing. This was the initial cut. I've been known to leave cut leaners alone and let the next big wind bring them down for me. If it falls in the night I really don't care if anyone heard it. Sucker is down and I'm safe.

OK ..Nelson if it was a natural leaner I am surprised it reacted that way to your cut....sure am glad you came out OK...I am starting to slow down a little on my reflexes so I am super careful on the ones I choose to tackle...I wear a Tshirt that says...inside this old guy is a young guy saying what the heck happened....LOL

/ Tree Felling danger
OK ..Nelson if it was a natural leaner I am surprised it reacted that way to your cut....sure am glad you came out OK...I am starting to slow down a little on my reflexes so I am super careful on the ones I choose to tackle...I wear a Tshirt that says...inside this old guy is a young guy saying what the heck happened....LOL

Yeah I was stretching it a bit with my comment of, "razor quick reflexes". It twernt pretty. It was elbows and a$$holes crawling away from that thing.
My usual rule is nothing more than 10" diameter but I really need some straight grain ash for fire starting. And it was there.

/ Tree Felling danger #14  
That's what is called a 'barber-chair'. Certain species of tree with specific grain structures are especially prone to this, ash being one of them. Leaners are even more prone to this, because of the extra stress on the holding wood during the backcut.

See this thread for a good explanation and some tips: http://www.arboristsite.com/tree-care-videos/177328.htm
^^^ This man knows what he is talking about.

Wrooster

/ Tree Felling danger #15  
^^^ This man knows what he is talking about.

Wrooster

Very good illustration....everyone should watch the video...I want to add this...I learned it the hard way years ago...When you go up to a tree to cut it down...look for your runway....that is the path you will take if things go wrong...really wrong and fast...be sure there are no obstacles ...no vines ( that is what tripped me up one time ) no holes or fallen limbs...be sure you have a clear escape path before cutting....

/ Tree Felling danger #16  
Yeah, a leaning tree is a barber-chair to-be. You need to be able to recognize that before even breaking out the saw, and plan your cuts accordingly. The "Coos Bay" cut is my favorite way to handle leaners.

This same condition can occur whenever the tree is loaded such that a strong shear is created. This can occur on a straight tree on a windy day, when the wind is loading the tree.

You got lucky man! People get killed from barber chairs. They will take your head clean off.

/ Tree Felling danger #17  
It also looked like the guy in the vid had his backcut at the same level as his undercut.

/ Tree Felling danger #19  
Timely thread. Plan on felling a few leaning poplar later this year as they are looking like they are starting to die.

/ Tree Felling danger #20  
Yeah, a leaning tree is a barber-chair to-be. You need to be able to recognize that before even breaking out the saw, and plan your cuts accordingly. The "Coos Bay" cut is my favorite way to handle leaners.

This same condition can occur whenever the tree is loaded such that a strong shear is created. This can occur on a straight tree on a windy day, when the wind is loading the tree.

You got lucky man! People get killed from barber chairs. They will take your head clean off.

RetiredM, this cut this poster is referring to is a relief cut on both sides of the tree parallel to the lean. They only go in a few inches on each side. Some taper them to the falling cut side but in my experience any relief you give to the tree stem will work. Also look to the canopy of a tree and see where its weighted the most. If you do not have to, leave trees alone on windy days. The key here is to zippity do-da the falling cut and you'll keep this stuff to a minimum. I like to make the relief cuts first and then notch the tree and then go right to the felling cut.