Tree Felling danger

/ Tree Felling danger #21  
That's what is called a 'barber-chair'. Certain species of tree with specific grain structures are especially prone to this, ash being one of them. Leaners are even more prone to this, because of the extra stress on the holding wood during the backcut.

See this thread for a good explanation and some tips: http://www.arboristsite.com/tree-care-videos/177328.htm

With a lean you need to make your face cut then plunge through to make your hinge (being careful of kickback and not leaving your hinge too thin) then cut from hinge to the back instead of from the back in.
You can also chain the tree above your cut to help prevent it from splitting out.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I cant add much.

/ Tree Felling danger #23  
Yep. Dont "lollygag" on the back cut, but you also have to be mindful to leave enough hinge. You dont want to power through and leave no hinge at all. That can be just as dangerous as a barberchair.

/ Tree Felling danger #24  
Yep. Dont "lollygag" on the back cut, but you also have to be mindful to leave enough hinge. You dont want to power through and leave no hinge at all. That can be just as dangerous as a barberchair.
Cut through the hinge and you have a box of chocolates. :eek:

Wrooster

/ Tree Felling danger #25  
The longer the dead (EAB) Ash stand, the more prone to barberchair they become. Once the bark starts to split and fall off, the log will check, in some cases I've seen it go all the way to the pith. Turns a slight leaner that would have been an easy drop into a widowmaker.

Ed

/ Tree Felling danger #26  
View attachment 286311View attachment 286312View attachment 286313So I was going about my usual logging. I was cutting an ash bout 18" at the butt. The tree was leaner so I was confident of direction of fall. Before I finished the cut the tree "BLEW UP". Never seen anything like it. Once my razor sharp reflexes kicked in I fell backwards and planted my face in the ground. :rolleyes:
There are several scenarios for 'widow makers'. Add one to the list.

I am a bit of a naysayer when I hear all accidents can be prevented, sure they can, stay in bed. I am by no means a professional lumberjack but I have cut allot of wood with a chainsaw in my 50-years. This weekend I almost got taken out by a 8" 40' tall dead cedar I could finally get at due to the low water level in our pond. Easy tree, leaning the way I wanted it to fall, perfect hinge, except when I went to step back from the tree my foot was stuck in the mud. My lighting reflexes dropped the saw and I grabbed the trunk with my right hand as if I could stop its momentum. Physics took over and threw me on my butt which jammed the heck out of my wrist but fortunately knocked me out of the way. Fact is none of get out of this alive and we all should raise our beers to dumb luck and not try to over analyze every situation. Glad you and I were not seriously hurt. Maybe next weekend :laughing:

/ Tree Felling danger #27  
NO OFFENCE TO ANY ONE. NO 1 TREE IS THE SAME IVE CUT THOUSANDS OF TREES NOT ONE WAS EVER THE SAME

/ Tree Felling danger #28  
I always wrap a big chain (1/2 in) around the trees that are leaning about 12" above my cuts to reduce the chances of it exploding.

/ Tree Felling danger #29  
NO OFFENCE TO ANY ONE. NO 1 TREE IS THE SAME IVE CUT THOUSANDS OF TREES NOT ONE WAS EVER THE SAME

Ain't that the truth, no tree is ever the same nor are the variables that come into play like lean, terrain, wind direction. equipment...etc....

Same for me after felling more trees than I care to remember....Cutting down trees is a unique exercise, with each tree there comes new learnings/considerations/approaches.....sure you can minimise the risk with experience, preparation & planning but you can't be complacent to believe you totally mitigate the risk....

/ Tree Felling danger #30  
TRUE THAT