Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

Default Re: Tree Felling danger

I learned to chain leaners a few years ago, after watching a few barber-chairs on Youtube. Small slow saws are killers too... the longer you spend behind the tree making the back cut the longer you're exposed to danger if a gust of wind catches it.

Sean

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE HST

I used to plunge cut almost every tree just to get some practice, and you can also start your wedges on a tree thats leaning back. With a proper sized hinge and back strap the tree is very stable. I took a weekend chainsaw safety and felling course and its the best money you can spend if you are going to use a saw.
    2011 DK40SE HST

Banned
    Tractor
    L5450

I knew of a weekend warrior homeowner who decided to cut a 4' leaner without listening to advice given him or getting a pro. The tree exploded and decapitated him.

Lots of good info here, but nobody discussed the notch.

It's hard to judge in those pics, but I don't see much of a notch on the stump. Having no notch or too little of a notch can dramatically increace probability of barberchair. Essentially this creates too much holding wood. When wood is "held" and not free to hinge over, the momentum and pull of the canopy will split the wood along its grain (barberchair).

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by TreePointer View Post
    Lots of good info here, but nobody discussed the notch.

It's hard to judge in those pics, but I don't see much of a notch on the stump. Having no notch or too little of a notch can dramatically increace probability of barberchair. Essentially this creates too much holding wood. When wood is "held" and not free to hinge over, the momentum and pull of the canopy will split the wood along its grain (barberchair).
    Even a too shallow notch will do it. My only real barber chair happened that way. Tree fell correctly until that undercut closed and then it split.

Harry K

Banned
    Tractor
    L5450

I can't tell from the picture but it looks like the notch was at 90 degrees? On the beheading I mentioned above, the guy had no notch what so ever. It was his first and last tree he ever cut.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234