Tree Felling danger

/ Tree Felling danger #31  
I learned to chain leaners a few years ago, after watching a few barber-chairs on Youtube. Small slow saws are killers too... the longer you spend behind the tree making the back cut the longer you're exposed to danger if a gust of wind catches it.

Sean

/ Tree Felling danger #32  
I used to plunge cut almost every tree just to get some practice, and you can also start your wedges on a tree thats leaning back. With a proper sized hinge and back strap the tree is very stable. I took a weekend chainsaw safety and felling course and its the best money you can spend if you are going to use a saw.

/ Tree Felling danger #33  
I knew of a weekend warrior homeowner who decided to cut a 4' leaner without listening to advice given him or getting a pro. The tree exploded and decapitated him.

/ Tree Felling danger #34  
Lots of good info here, but nobody discussed the notch.

It's hard to judge in those pics, but I don't see much of a notch on the stump. Having no notch or too little of a notch can dramatically increace probability of barberchair. Essentially this creates too much holding wood. When wood is "held" and not free to hinge over, the momentum and pull of the canopy will split the wood along its grain (barberchair).

/ Tree Felling danger #35  
Lots of good info here, but nobody discussed the notch.

It's hard to judge in those pics, but I don't see much of a notch on the stump. Having no notch or too little of a notch can dramatically increace probability of barberchair. Essentially this creates too much holding wood. When wood is "held" and not free to hinge over, the momentum and pull of the canopy will split the wood along its grain (barberchair).

Even a too shallow notch will do it. My only real barber chair happened that way. Tree fell correctly until that undercut closed and then it split.

Harry K

/ Tree Felling danger #36  
I can't tell from the picture but it looks like the notch was at 90 degrees? On the beheading I mentioned above, the guy had no notch what so ever. It was his first and last tree he ever cut.