Homelite super XL

/ Homelite super XL #1  

radioman

Tractor
Kubota BX24
I got a homelite super XL recently off from craigslist and found a crack fuel line on it. Got a few questions. When I ran it before discovering the line was cracked- it was running real rich and hard to start. I replaced the line and it ran a whole lot better, but it was a bear to put the line through the darn rubber grommets.

Does anyone have any tricks on the fuel line and grommet on the super XL? FYI - I just want to know how to do it next time, after fooling around for 20 mins trying to get the grommet in with fuel line in at same time - was just plain frustrating and felt like I was gonna rip the grommet apart with couple screwdrivers trying to push it in.
Also I was able to download the pdf owners manual- but I dont have the shop manual for it. Does anyone have a copy of shop manual? I already tried the arborist site, but wonder if anyone has experience with them?

If you also have one- how often do you use the manual oiler ? I use it once for each cut. is this about right?

/ Homelite super XL #2  
I have an old blue case Super XL 25 my fatherinlaw bought in 1962. It has a manual oiler and I find I use about an oiler tank per tank of fuel. Bar oil is cheap and I find the saw cuts better and the bar doesn't wear if I keep it well oiled. This saw is old enough that it has the old carbon tip plug, and does not even have a fuel line from the tank to the carb. it has a felt wick inside the fuel tank that drips into the carb. It also takes a full pint of oil per gallon of gas. I don't run it much any more, but it still will cut anything I sling it at.

/ Homelite super XL
Thanks bill for responding. I was expecting more TBN to talk about these older homelites ..

/ Homelite super XL #4  
I have a Homelite Super XL, but it's been sitting on the shelf for quite a years as I only use Stihl & Huskys these days. I'll look at the fuel line situation you described and see if I might be able to help.

Mind if I ask what you paid for the Homelite? I really need to see the one I have as it's simply not used any longer.

I got a homelite super XL recently off from craigslist and found a crack fuel line on it. Got a few questions. When I ran it before discovering the line was cracked- it was running real rich and hard to start. I replaced the line and it ran a whole lot better, but it was a bear to put the line through the darn rubber grommets.

Does anyone have any tricks on the fuel line and grommet on the super XL? FYI - I just want to know how to do it next time, after fooling around for 20 mins trying to get the grommet in with fuel line in at same time - was just plain frustrating and felt like I was gonna rip the grommet apart with couple screwdrivers trying to push it in.
Also I was able to download the pdf owners manual- but I dont have the shop manual for it. Does anyone have a copy of shop manual? I already tried the arborist site, but wonder if anyone has experience with them?

If you also have one- how often do you use the manual oiler ? I use it once for each cut. is this about right?

/ Homelite super XL #5  
I cant really picture what you are talking about, but I think I know??

Anyway, On them type grommets, I use a drop or two of oil. Helps them slide in better. But even then, they can still be a PITA at times.

/ Homelite super XL #6  
Radio, I have a Homelite XL (not Super XL) that I bought in 1977 for about $75 new. It came with a 10" bar and can take up to 14" bar, which it has now. Man, that thing still goes!! I call it my "housewife" saw it is so small, but incredibly dependable. It will cut when nothing else will. A few years ago, a Stihl dealer told me I could use Stihl's 50:1 oil in it even though manual says 32:1 ratio. I figured, well, this old thing can't be hurt, tried it, and it runs better than ever on that 50:1 ration with Stihl oil. I guess the oils are so much better these days. Wish I could help with the fuel line issue, but have never had to replace mine yet. Keep us posted.

/ Homelite super XL
mac lawn I also I have the small xl-- in fact a couple. But the first small XL, I think the crankshaft finally snapped. The second one is apart right now since I was trying to clean the carb and ended up losing the tiny parts from carb. GRRR .. gotta order a carb rebuild kit or steal one from my broken one.

Anyways, on the super XL, the grommet is on the right hand side of saw on top. as for LD1 using oil (slap my head) is a good idea. I was flustered at the moment trying to get it in at all costs I didnt think of using oil. next time I will. :mur: one of those life lessons.

The super XL I got it from craigslist- he wanted 45 - he accepted graciously for 40. I seen them super XL's on ebay for 100 bucks or more in good condition like mine.

When I first started cutting with it- thee chain was so dull- it was like trying to cut wood with a butter knife. I swapped it out quickly for the moment with my fathers and messed with the fuel line and adjusted the carb and the thing just cuts niiiice.

/ Homelite super XL
IMG_20121112_101433.jpgIMG_20121112_101349.jpg
Forgot to attach pics-- here are the pics of the saw and grommets with filter cover removed.

/ Homelite super XL #9  
radio, yours is a "man" saw, mine is what I call the "housewife" model (no offense intended to wives). Do you know what year yours is? Like I said, I bought mine new in 1977, so I know about it; mine looks like a newer model than yours. These old saws just keep on going!

/ Homelite super XL
IMG_20121112_155438.jpg

maclawn- don't feel bad- I got the housewife model too. one torn apart - other needs fixing. I'm working on it but with limited funds.