Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #11  
All the small engines that I have and have ran all seem to have their own personality. And no two are exactally the same. The challenging part is figuring out that personality and you are all set. It sounds like you got if figured out. Now just dont forget about it next time you go to start the saw.

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #12  
I have been told by a few stihl dealers if it does not start by the 3rd pull something is wrong. Knock on wood my stihls have allways started within no more then 3-4 pulls. IF they don't then I know something is up and it's past time for maintenance.

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #13  
I have been told by a few stihl dealers if it does not start by the 3rd pull something is wrong. Knock on wood my stihls have allways started within no more then 3-4 pulls. IF they don't then I know something is up and it's past time for maintenance.
This sounds like
if it does not start by the 3rd pull bring it in to us and we'll fix it (for a nominal 1 hour charge)

I can't remember when any of my 4 Stihls EVER reliably started on 3 pulls COLD after having set more than a week. It's ALWAYS been at least two or three pulls to get it it to "fire", adjust the choke, and then another one to three pulls. If they've set for a long time and gummed up due to non-ethanol gas it has taken up to probably 200 pulls to get the fuel system cleaned out with Seafoam. But that's another story.

Thankfully I've never had to take any of them in for maintenance.

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #14  
Does anyone else remember back in the day when Stihl ran ads that said Stihl saws always started on the first pull? As I recall the Federal Trade Commision made them stop.

Back then (about 30 years) I had a Stihl 031 that would start on the first pull 99% of the time. Now I have a Stihl MS310 and I've experienced all the problems mentioned by the previous posters on this thread.

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #15  
I have a 1998 Stihl 440 Magnum that always starts if I use the following procedure: pull on full choke until it fires, then 1 to 2 pulls on half choke. I use high test gas and ethanol treatment.

I have a 2012 MS 250 that I have fought with since I bought it. Dealer gave me the same advise as the original poster. Never pull more than 2 times on full choke. Give up after three additional pulls on half choke. Pull the plug, close the choke, pull 7 times, reassemble, start the procedure over. It's a PITA. Fortunately, once started it runs fine.

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #16  
Newbury: I do all my own mechanical work, my point is that in my experience with stihl whether it be my saws or the weed eater they allways start without much effort. The few times I've had an issue it was a matter of simple maintenance. I have owned other brands of saw and do know what a PITA some can be, even have a hole in my shed where the saw flew into when it was launched by a very PO'ed owner. Maybe I've just had really good luck with the stihl brand, maybe I have access to magic gas that never gives issue's, or maybe it's because I'm a stickler when it comes to maintenance on my machines?

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #17  
I have 3 stihls, 210, 310, 361 No problems with flooding on any of them and the "more than two pulls with choke will flood" is, to put it mildly, BS. at least two or more until it pops, off choke (there is no "half choke". only high speed on the MS series stihls) and one or two more they are running.

The 361 did have a flooding problem at first but that is because the "pop" is very muted and easy to miss.

Harry K

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks
I have 3 stihls, 210, 310, 361 No problems with flooding on any of them and the "more than two pulls with choke will flood" is, to put it mildly, BS. at least two or more until it pops, off choke (there is no "half choke". only high speed on the MS series stihls) and one or two more they are running.

The 361 did have a flooding problem at first but that is because the "pop" is very muted and easy to miss.

Harry K

Based on your air resistance your fall rate may vary but you can't deny the effects of gravity. Having shown me the saw started fine by using less choke what are you suggesting the correct response would have been from the dealer?

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #19  

Harry K

I've worked on gasoline engines since I was 14, and that was 44 years ago. I've successfully tuned a three carb set up on an Austin Healey 3000. I know a flooded carb when I smell one. I have used chainsaws almost that long. Sir, I must call BS on your BS.

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #20  
I've worked on gasoline engines since I was 14, and that was 44 years ago. I've successfully tuned a three carb set up on an Austin Healey 3000. I know a flooded carb when I smell one. I have used chainsaws almost that long. Sir, I must call BS on your BS.

I called BS on the "more than 2 pull will flood a Stihl. It _is_ BS. If yours does it, the carb needs attention. That one can flood any engine with a carb is an easy thing to do.

Harry K