Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #21  
Based on your air resistance your fall rate may vary but you can't deny the effects of gravity. Having shown me the saw started fine by using less choke what are you suggesting the correct response would have been from the dealer?

WTH is that first sentence supposed to mean? Response from the dealer "fix the carb". Had the head shed heard about that there wouild have been one dealer doing some explaining.

Now to yoiur "less carg" Stihls in the MS series have ONLY ONE SETTING - full choke. There is no way to get any other setting.

Don't believe me? Pull the carb cover and try it while looking at that choke plate.

Harry K

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #22  
Does anyone else remember back in the day when Stihl ran ads that said Stihl saws always started on the first pull? As I recall the Federal Trade Commision made them stop.

Back then (about 30 years) I had a Stihl 031 that would start on the first pull 99% of the time. Now I have a Stihl MS310 and I've experienced all the problems mentioned by the previous posters on this thread.

You sure about that? I don't recall Stihl making the claim. The only ads I recall was from Honda lawn mowers in the early days of them on the market over here. They were right too. I bought one back in the earlyi/mid 80s, wore the rubber off the drive wheels twice, repaced one clutch cable, one spark plug, one fuel filter. Smokes like a volcanoe when first started now but it is still "one pull everytime" except for the first one inthe spring when it likes to set in the sun a bit first and then may require two pulls. I alos bought one back then"in the box" for my mother. Put it together and told her it was ready. She pulled once and it was running.

As for the FTC I suspect that is an apocryphal tale since they could demonstrate the proof of the claim.

Harry K

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #23  
I called BS on the "more than 2 pull will flood a Stihl. It _is_ BS. If yours does it, the carb needs attention. That one can flood any engine with a carb is an easy thing to do.

Harry K

Well this is the second saw. They replaced the first when the dealer couldn't solve the problem with the first saw. Pehaps you should contact Stihl and offer your help. I give my dealer your contact information so you can help him too. I only have hundreds of hours on chain saws so what do I know.

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #24  
I just went through this a little bit ago. The guys gave me some good info. Not sure how to post threads.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/chainsaws/260737-stihl-wet-plug.html

I ended up getting an aftermarket carb for $30 from Weedeaterman in Va. Has website. Haven't put it in yet but was the cheapest way to go.

Put in the new carb today. Perfect fit, no brainer. Saw is running great.
Dealer wanted $100 to rebuild. I spent $30 for new.
Now, at my leisure I'll rebuild the old carb and just keep it on hand - since I now have 2 of these saws.
The thought comes to mind to put a 20" bar on it.

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #25  
Well this is the second saw. They replaced the first when the dealer couldn't solve the problem with the first saw. Pehaps you should contact Stihl and offer your help. I give my dealer your contact information so you can help him too. I only have hundreds of hours on chain saws so what do I know.

Apparently not much if you still think there is a half choke position on a Stihl. Hundreds of hours? I've been heating with wood 99% and selling wood since 1976.The dealer also must not know much if he reallly things two pulls will always flood a stihl.

Granted that a stihl that is properly adjusted _and has been run recently_ SHOULD "pop" with only 2 or 3 pulls.

Harry K

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #26  
A couple years ago I purchased a 20" chainsaw to deal with some larger trees needing cleanup on some property we purchased, everytime I needed the saw it would not start. I could always get it started in my garage after the usual fuel, spark, air checks but having heard all the praise for Stihl chainsaws I was very under impressed. Yesterday I needed to cut a 24" tree and sure enough the saw would not start. Convinced I had a carb problem I took took it to a dealer today and told him what was going on. He asked me how I normally tried starting the saw and I said the same way I have started my Echo for the last 30-years. Choke until it turned over and then 1/2 choke until it would run on its own. He smiled and said you will flood a Stihl if you try more then two pulls in the "cold" setting. He then started the saw without any problem. Seems I did have a carb flooding issue, the operator.

Belt, is your dealer Harry's on Bobby Jones, or Wheeler in Warrenton? I am thinking of getting a Stihl for my next saw. I now have a Homelite that I bought in ... 1977!! Came with a 10" bar and can take up to 14" which it has now. The thing won't die!! But, I am thinking Stihl for my next saw. How is yours running now? We might be neighbors! Appling, eh?

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks
Belt, is your dealer Harry's on Bobby Jones, or Wheeler in Warrenton? I am thinking of getting a Stihl for my next saw. I now have a Homelite that I bought in ... 1977!! Came with a 10" bar and can take up to 14" which it has now. The thing won't die!! But, I am thinking Stihl for my next saw. How is yours running now? We might be neighbors! Appling, eh?

Not Harry's, I have used them before but several years ago they ordered a part for me and after 2-weeks of waiting and several calls I finally went in to find out what the problem was I found out the part had never been ordered. The dealer I have been using is Penningtons Power in South Augusta, they still sharpen chainsaw blades for $6. I have had nothing but great service from them at very reasonable prices. My home is just north of the Burke County line but I bought property near the lake we plan on building on in the next few years. Cheers!

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #30  
1 thing about stihl also is the fact you need proper mixing ratio of your gas.